• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Are these two whatsapp the same?

1. the first link is a slightly older apk of whatsapp. the play store link is the most current version of the app

2.f-droid is the most popular. i think apk pure is another that folks here recommend.

1. the first link is a slightly older apk of whatsapp. the play store link is the most current version of the app

2.f-droid is the most popular. i think apk pure is another that folks here recommend.

Do go mean to https://f-droid.org/ https://m.apkpure.com/ search for whatsapp and download apk? I can do it in either phone browser then save in phone, or pc then save in pc then transfer it to phone, then go to my files in phone to tap on the whatsapp apk file to install it correct?

Is https://www.apkmirror.com/ good?

How does apk sites get their software? Do the apk site owners go to extract the files from official app sites or playstore then convert it to apk? Do the apk site owners have direct connection access to app owners to give them apk?

Do go mean to https://f-droid.org/ https://m.apkpure.com/ search for whatsapp and download apk? I can do it in phone or pc then transfer it to phone, then go to my files in phone to tap on the whatsapp apk file to install it correct?

Is https://www.apkmirror.com/ good?

How does apk sites get their software? Do the apk site owners go to extract the files from official app sites or playstore then convert it to apk? Do the apk site owners get some direct connection access to app owners to give them apk?
i believe that is correct. you just need the apk on your phone or sd card and you can install it from there.

apkmirror i believe is legit as well.

as far as how they get the apk's.......i have no idea.

If I do not have playstore, This is the way of Whatsapp installation.
  1. Go to the Settings in your app menu.
  2. Find and select the Apps & notifications menu.
  3. Tap Advanced.
  4. Select Special app access.
  5. Tap Install unknown apps.
  6. Choose the internet browser that you will use for the third-party stores.
  7. Turn on Allow from this source.

Last edited:
1. Can you see your whatsapp what are the default permissions that are turned on?

2. These are my permissions https://i.imgur.com/x8rDiUh.png Is there anything wrong or that I should turn on or off?

I want to follow the same permissions of users downloaded from playstore to see if mine will show unread new incoming messages number at the corner of the whatsapp icon.

Last edited:
  3. Tap Advanced.
Personally I think allowing a browser to install apps is a really bad idea. There are ads out there that push unsolicited downloads to phones (some dodgy "system cleaner" apps used to use these regularly), so the last thing you want is for the app that is most exposed to such things to also have the ability to install an app.

Personally I allow my preferred file explorer app to do installations. That makes it a 2 step process: download the apk using one app then install it using another, but this feels safer to me.

Personally I think allowing a browser to install apps is a really bad idea. There are ads out there that push unsolicited downloads to phones (some dodgy "system cleaner" apps used to use these regularly), so the last thing you want is for the app that is most exposed to such things to also have the ability to install an app.

Personally I allow my preferred file explorer app to do installations. That makes it a 2 step process: download the apk using one app then install it using another, but this feels safer to me.

If you only download and install fir a few minutes and after that prevent internet browser from installing from third party (reset internet broswer to default that does not allow installing from third party) would it be safe since it the duration is a few minutes only?

If you don't mind can you share what is your current whatsapp permissions? settings>apps>whatsapp>permissions.

I want to follow the same permissions of users downloaded from playstore to see if mine will show unread new incoming messages number at the corner of the whatsapp icon.

Last edited:
  3. Tap Advanced.
What is the reverse step to undo it to default? I mean after installing I am thinking of putting back to default. Thanks.

What is the reverse step to undo it to default? I mean after installing I am thinking of putting back to default. Thanks.
The simplest is probably to go into Settings > Apps, find the app, look for "install unknown apps" amongst its options and turn that off.

If you only download and install fir a few minutes and after that prevent internet browser from installing from third party (reset internet broswer to default that does not allow installing from third party) would it be safe since it the duration is a few minutes only?
Should be.
If you don't mind can you share what is your current whatsapp permissions? settings>apps>whatsapp>permissions.

I don't think it's anything to do with permissions: there's nothing in them that relates to app icon badges. However if you look in the app's notification settings (in Settings > Apps > WhatsApp rather than in-app) there should be a switch for "app icon badges". Maybe check your launcher's settings if that doesn't work.

(For the record I allow WhatsApp the permissions I think it needs for sending and receiving calls and messages and sending media, i.e. I allow it camera, contacts, files & media, microphone and phone. I do not allow it access to call logs, location or SMS. But as I say, there's nothing in that list that is relevant. If I look at the full list of permissions there is also "read badge notifications", but that's not one that's user-controllable).

Should be.

I don't think it's anything to do with permissions: there's nothing in them that relates to app icon badges. However if you look in the app's notification settings (in Settings > Apps > WhatsApp rather than in-app) there should be a switch for "app icon badges". Maybe check your launcher's settings if that doesn't work.

(For the record I allow WhatsApp the permissions I think it needs for sending and receiving calls and messages and sending media, i.e. I allow it camera, contacts, files & media, microphone and phone. I do not allow it access to call logs, location or SMS. But as I say, there's nothing in that list that is relevant. If I look at the full list of permissions there is also "read badge notifications", but that's not one that's user-controllable).

Where is launcher settings? I am using Samsung galaxy note 8 defaults (did not install any launcher app). I looked at all settings and there is no launcher. Is launcher called something else in Samsung? How to locate launcher? Thanks.

The Samsung launcher is called One UI Home on recent devices - it was probably called TouchWiz on older ones. On my s21 I can access its settings via Settings > Apps > One UI Home and from there there is an option One UI Home Settings. But searching for "home" or "home screen" in the system settings also produces this.

For the Android 12 version there is an "app icon badges" switch in there, can't say for older versions. I don't actually use the Samsung launcher myself, so don't know much more about it.

Back
Top Bottom