• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

At least not my phone this time

Rgarner

Android Expert
My friend went to use his phone today and the screen was all weird. He can't use it. It looks as if it's water damage but he swears it's been dry. He said one side was all black at irst and ow a bunch of spots and maybe some small stripes. If I can oist a picture I will. It's that N10 from metro pcs. .

Attachments

• IMG_20230324_185220290.jpg
    IMG_20230324_185220290.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 91
What do we do? He doesn't have a backup phone. I bet they couldn't fix it at metro. They can barely bother to be open. Would they have to send it in somewhere? Is there a way to recover data in case it's too far gone? Even that govmint pos looks sorta good right now, but of course that's out of the question...thanks a lot, fastboot. What's the cheapest burner, maybe from family dollar? Could he get the same number on it?

That appears to be a pretty bad display issue. There's a remote possibility it's software-related so something like re-flashing the appropriate stock ROM might fix that (i.e. if its due to the graphics driver in the firmware) but that looks to be more of a hardware problem, and that could be something like the display was physically damaged or is just failing, or a fault in the GPU circuitry in the phone's SoC. But whatever the cause, it doesn't seem likely to be a fix that you're going to find on an online help forum. It's something that needs to be looked into by a hands-on technician, so yeah he needs to take his phone and give it to some trusted local phone service facility.

As for the recovering the data, if your friend didn't have a backup solution already set up, the odds are he should expect to lose some data. Hopefully he at least has is email/contacts/calendar syncing with some online email service (Gmail, MS Outlook, Yahoo Mail, etc.). But the time to set up a backup service is before there's a problem like this, not after. That's why a comprehensive, automatic backup solution is important.
There is the possibility the phone will be fixed and his data left as is, but that's not something to rely upon.

If he want to keep the same phone number, be sure to remove the SIM card. The phone number is not dependent on the phone, it's tied to the SIM card. The SIM card retains his user account data to his chosen carrier, and the phone number is managed and maintained by his carrier. In most cases, he just needs to put his existing SIM card into whichever phone he gets next, or put it back into his Nord N10 if it gets fixed.

How did it happen? If it actually didn't get dropped or wet, why would it do that? Neither of us has infinite money to keep fixing and/or buying things.

How did it happen? If it actually didn't get dropped or wet, why would it do that? Neither of us has infinite money to keep fixing and/or buying things.
probably quality in how it was made. cheaper phones, means cheaper quality or lack there of......not much you can do about that.

I guess Nord is not a respectable brand then. You'd think nobody would want to sink as low as Samsung but maybe not. He doesn't want a super cheap phone, either. I can't blame him.

Guess what...it's playing music. It also made some message alert sounds. He wants to charge it, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea. Is there a way to shut off the sound for now? It's not very loud.

It looks like either the screen got shattered or the digitizer got shattered (would explain why it won't accept touches anymore). I've seen this happen whenever the non-removable battery swells and presses behind the LCD until it gives. This is yet another reason OEMs never should have made sealed phones with non-removable batteries. My S5 for example had two batteries become 'spicy pillows' and popped the back cover off before it got so bad to shatter the screen, thankfully I can buy replacements and not have to buy a new phone to fix the issue.

Nord = OnePlus One? Yeah they stopped the whole 'never settle' when they ditched the headphone jack and various other features. Long ago. Sadly everyone incluuding all major Android OEMs follow Apple as the barometer of 'good' ideas. That's why Android today looks like an awful iOS clone with the Google integration being as heavy as Apple integration into iOS, causing more lost privacy, less control by the user, and phones with hardly any interesting or defining features, where you can't tell a Samsung from a Motorola from a Nokia from a Sony. All are the same old same old since 2015. All the fun phones died in like 2013.

Honestly ain't no way anyone can seriously say that Android 13 or whatever the current version is actually looks good. Android 2.3, Android 4.3 looked good. Today it is whitewashed, rounded corners and looking a lot more like iOS than Android, and had Google done this in say 2011, there'd be hell to pay.

I agree with you about they're all the same (vehicles too) except Samsung. You can tell a Samsung but you can't tell it much. They do everything backwards, in more ways than one, and they"re, ahem, retentive when it comes to rooting. If I could I would root every @#$& phone I get and make sure ain't no googoo, Facebook, etc. wasting space in it. As for crapple, they can take a long walk off a short pier. Phones need sd cards the way the flowers need the rain. If I wanted crapple I would buy it. Ha ha, just kidding, it's way too expensive. Now is there anybody on here who can tell me about min adb + f? Do I have to find out exactly what kind of phone to get the driver's?

Even Samsungs today mirror Apples or sometimes Motorolas, especially since there's no defining 'Samsung' feature like with the old TouchWiz models like the S4 or S5, where not only could you tell that it was an S4 or S5 based on the rear cover and camera, but the logo of 'Samsung' was emblazoned both on back and the front, and the iconic home button/capacitive menu and back keys.

Today? they're all in the sea of multi-camera, no buttons, 6.5"+ sasquatch phones running a version of Android that looks far too much like modern iOS. Basic, flat, boring, no repairability, not even a way to easily replace the battery.

Unless LTE dies in the future, there ain't nothing that makes me want anything newer than the Galaxy S5. I find it sort of funny and sad at the same time that whenever you boot up a modern Samsung, be it a flagship or an A-series, they just say 'Samsung Galaxy', not even giving them a name anymore. Just a generic label, and no more boot animations or music. Why did the fun have to die is what I ask? Why did we have to lose so much competition? Why can't we have WebOS, Symbian, Meego, Android, iOS, Java, and more? We literally have two phone OSs now. Lack of competition stifles innovation!

Back
Top Bottom