• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [AT&T] Aggrivating!

cougar214

Android Expert
I do see much going on in this section so I'm not counting on an answer but I'll ask anyway. I have, of course, the AT&T Optimus G Pro. It's on the Straight Talk network. I'm trying to get my phone to say AT&T in the notification bar. Currently it says HOME.

Now I have been all over the net, youtube, and XDA forums trying to find a solution to this. I have tried manual edits to the build.prop, apps that are supposed to do it for you, xml file inserts, etc.

No go. For some reason this phone will NOT change it. So I thought maybe it is something to do with the sim card itself. After all, the phone gets it's info from the sim card right?

I got my wife the Optimus G. Pretty much the same phone, maker, carrier, even service(ST). Her phone says AT&T in the notification bar. So I took our cards out to test a theory. I put my card in her phone and it said Home. I put her card in my phone and mine said AT&T.

So conclusion? It's the sim card. I know what you're thinking, "Changing it in the system files has nothing to do with the sim card". Actually it does. You phone reads your carrier info from your sim card and defaults to those settings. So, in some phones, no matter what edits you make to your system files, it will just revert back to the info on your sim.

Now to the question. Is there ANYTHING else I COULD try to get around this issue? Keep in mind what I have already tried. Right now I am using a status bar replacement app. That DOES change the carrier tag. Problem with these is the ones that are highly customizable are too glitchy and crash most of the time. The one I'm using right now is designed off an Iphone. It works, but it doesn't fit the phones OS style. Thanks for whatever help I can get guys.

You could look to see if any of the Xposed modules has the ability to make that change. I seem to recall seeing something like that in passing when I was looking at their site.

You could look to see if any of the Xposed modules has the ability to make that change. I seem to recall seeing something like that in passing when I was looking at their site.

Yep. Tried that too. All it did was, for some unexplained reason, was move my battery icon up and turn it white. Never did change the carrier text. I looked through all the modules xposed has and nothing else will do it. That I seen anyway.

The only thing I haven't done was pull the framework-res.apk file, decompile it, edit the xml, recompile it, and push to the phone using adb. And the reason I haven't done that is because my experience doing mid to high level edits like that on a phone is very limited so it confuses me and I don't know what to do.

Back