• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [AT&T] Can I remove bloatware from my AT&T Note2

Risley

Hi all,
I'd love to remove all the Samsung and AT&T bloatware junk from my Note 2, is it possible? Is there and app to do this?

Thanks,
Risley

Welcome to AF, Risley. :)

I think the only way about going about that is to root your device. That's probably the number one reason why people root there device.

Rooting and removing bloatware is simple.

I have done it just 2 days ago for the first time. In these 2 days, I have tried 4 different custom ROMs before settling on one that I like. The custom ROM that I am using has the bloatware removed out of the box. So just root and flash that ROM and you are done.

Mine is the international version, not AT&T though.

Rooting and removing bloatware is simple.

I have done it just 2 days ago for the first time. In these 2 days, I have tried 4 different custom ROMs before settling on one that I like. The custom ROM that I am using has the bloatware removed out of the box. So just root and flash that ROM and you are done.

Mine is the international version, not AT&T though.

Thanks all,
Next question...How the heck do I root this thing?:confused:

Thanks guys, I will either do it tomorrow or after Thanksgiving. I wished I knew these things like you guys do, neat stuff.

That's what I did. The PITA is they still suck up room on your phone storage. Grrrr. And not all of the useless apps can be disabled. And I'm too chicken to even think of rooting. What happens if something funky happens to your phone that is Samsung's fault. Than you can get new phone because the warranty is voided by rooting, right?

u can always just disable the apps and they wont show on ur apps screen

I just rooted the device today, and deleted all the bloatware on the phone. Very easy provess. Not sure how much difference it really made though. Whatever at least it's cleaned up a bit.

I posted earlier saying I was too much of a coward to root. I got up the gumption and rooted. Then I went into settings, application manager and it let me delete some. I was kind of afraid to delete all of them though. When the update for at&t finally rolled out, I tried updating but because I'd gone through the process of rooting and backing up with twrp, it wouldn't complete. So I flashed cleanrom 3.5 (after much study, I'm a chicken). All at&t apps gone, have multi window function, etc. Runs very nice. I like a little flash so I installed golauncher over it and am very pleased.

I just rooted the device today, and deleted all the bloatware on the phone. Very easy provess. Not sure how much difference it really made though. Whatever at least it's cleaned up a bit.

I'm also a new Galaxy Note 2 owner and I just rooted using CF Auto Root. I can't seem to delete these AT&T apps though, in the application manager settings I can only disable or force stop the application, while others that I've downloaded give me the option to uninstall. I've used Root Checker Basic to verify that the device is rooted.

Any help is appreciated.

EDIT: I used Titanium Backup Pro to delete the AT&T apps. Hopefully I'll see an positive affect on my battery usage now.

I only deleted apps with AT&T in the title, any other cancerous growths I need to get off the stock AT&T rom ?

Hi.

I'm a pretty big nerd that is way too late to the Android game, but finally tightened my ish up and got a Note2

no chance I'm rooting and chance bricking this ~$700 awesomest device I've ever laid my hover-pen on.

I have been searching and searching this forum, XDA, and others to find some definitive list of bloatware us non-rooters should insta-delete upon unboxing.

Can't find it. Just ate the red pill, see a lot of things in the Application Manager --> All that I wanna start killing, but a little scared..

essentially looking for the "Not gonna root App kill list"

Hello, I'm too new to this forum and to the Note2 to be of any help. I had a Galaxy Note but I dropped it several months ago and it died. It was a plearue to work with! I bought the Note 2 and awoke to the nightmare.

I haven't the foggiest idea what is meant by rooting a device, or using any of the other "techniques", and from what I'm seeing in the various replies, many of you understand the technology sufficiently to take the "risk". All I know is that my Note 2 is bloated, for sure, and, because it's an Intenational, unlocked GTN 7001, Samsung wants nothing to do with it when you contact them. I'm stuck with a bloated phone, no way to understand what to do about it, and all of the microphone icons except in Google are gone once I installed the sim card. My entire day is spent listening to whistles telling me that an update has just taken place on one of the dozen or so apps I want nothing to do with. It's absolutely unbelievable that a company like Samsung can be so irresponsible to allow this sort of image damaging activity to go on.

So, does anyone have any simplified way of understanding all these new terms?

Hello, I'm too new to this forum and to the Note2 to be of any help. I had a Galaxy Note but I dropped it several months ago and it died. It was a plearue to work with! I bought the Note 2 and awoke to the nightmare.

I haven't the foggiest idea what is meant by rooting a device, or using any of the other "techniques", and from what I'm seeing in the various replies, many of you understand the technology sufficiently to take the "risk". All I know is that my Note 2 is bloated, for sure, and, because it's an Intenational, unlocked GTN 7001, Samsung wants nothing to do with it when you contact them. I'm stuck with a bloated phone, no way to understand what to do about it, and all of the microphone icons except in Google are gone once I installed the sim card. My entire day is spent listening to whistles telling me that an update has just taken place on one of the dozen or so apps I want nothing to do with. It's absolutely unbelievable that a company like Samsung can be so irresponsible to allow this sort of image damaging activity to go on.

So, does anyone have any simplified way of understanding all these new terms?

You need to do some more reading, there are plenty of written tutorials about nomenclature, firmware, rooting, and the like. Once you can understand what we're all talking about then it time to start asking some questions.... You're just not there yet.

Back
Top Bottom