• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ATT Throttling

Thanks for the info. I should be ok since I average around 1GB per month for regular data usage. (Thank God for Wifi, because if I didn't have that I would be around 5GB per month since I stream movies and music.)

This is the future of the wireless market. AT&T was scolded by consumers when they went tiered and now every other wireless provider is going that route. Slowly but surely. The only way to maintain a network that large while providing good service and making a profit is to go tiered. Since they can't force grandfathered users to go tiered, the next best thing they could do is throttle those users who are killing the network.

Run a speedtest app, it will tell you the speed of your throughput up and down on the internet.

If you see high numbers one day, half numbers the next day, either AT&T fell behind on their maintenance again or you're being throttled. The dirty little secret of most broadband providers.

Ya, My speeds vary. Depending on my signal strength and location. I'm in Chicago, which is a 4G location, but my average download speed is around 2 to 3mps. Highest was 6mps. I'm grandfather with the unlimited data and on average use just over 2.5GB per month on mobil data and over 4.5GB on wifi per month. (I stream a lot of music and movies.) For most people that don't stream music and movies, they should be ok.

Back