• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Auto Screen Brightness Setting?

Long time lurker, please no flaming. ;0)

The Droid has an awesome screen, especially when set at full brightness. However, I typically have it set at the lowest brightness to conserve battery. On my old Windows phone I was able to have the brightness adjust to full when it was plugged in. I've looked for this setting on the Droid and thus far have been unsuccessful in locating this ability.

Does anyone know if this setting exists or if there is an app that would do this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Long time lurker, please no flaming. ;0)

The Droid has an awesome screen, especially when set at full brightness. However, I typically have it set at the lowest brightness to conserve battery. On my old Windows phone I was able to have the brightness adjust to full when it was plugged in. I've looked for this setting on the Droid and thus far have been unsuccessful in locating this ability.

Does anyone know if this setting exists or if there is an app that would do this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Settings > Sound & Display > Brightness.

Click the checkbox for "Automatic Brightness"

Settings > Sound & Display > Brightness.

Click the checkbox for "Automatic Brightness"

that doesn't do what he asked.

auto brightness doesn't take the screen to full brightness when plugged in, if there is a setting for it, it's gotta be from a 3rd party app because i have never seen the option...i miss that from my windows mobile phone...and i don't miss much from those pieces of junk

i miss that from my windows mobile phone...and i don't miss much from those pieces of junk

My work phone is a WM device and I believe that is the only thing I'm missing too. Well, that and the fact that I can use it as a weapon..... it feels like a brick in my pocket.

Related question...what are the settings for the brightness control on the power control widget? Are they adjustable? I know there's three settings, are they max, min and somewhere inbetween?

Always wondered this....

There is an app on the market called Setting Profiles Full. It allows you to adjust about any function on the phone based on conditions. It has a brightness setting and an "On-Charger" condition. It does much more than that though. I missed several things my old WinMo phone would do and this has answered most of my wants and then some. For example, my phone's Inet access is much faster over my wifi at home than over 3G. So when I get to the house, the phone automatically turns on wifi and, of course, when I leave it cuts it off. I don't have to do anything. It also silences the phone when I have a meeting at work and I can choose what calendars it monitors. It cuts off all sounds at 10:00 pm and then back on at 6:00 am so that I don't bother anyone at the house sleeping, but the ringer still rings in case of incoming call. You can set timed conditions, battery conditions, location conditions, headset conditions and docking station conditions. I absolutely love this app and it works. I've had no trouble with it at all.

Crap, it looks like I wrote the app!! Didn't mean to blather on so long, but it has to be one of the best apps that I've bought off of the market yet. I think it is $2.95 from the market.

Anyway, just a suggestion.
BigRedGonzo

BegRedGonzo - Awesome suggestion. Just downloaded it, set up a profile and blam...does exactly what I was looking for. Looking forward to learning its other features. Thanks!!

MrClean - I have to say that I like your suggestion even better - my XV6800 would make a great weapon. Maybe I could even hook it to a chain and wear it off my belt loop...lol :cool:

Late reply but just noticed a setting..note that I am rooted on Sholes 2.0.3, so I am not sure if this is there on stock 2.0.1..

Settings-Applications-Development-Stay Awake. This keeps the screen from turning off while charging.:D

I assume this works if you are plugged into your computer-based USB port for charging - or does this also work when using an Electrical / Cigarette lighter adapter as well?

I assume this works if you are plugged into your computer-based USB port for charging - or does this also work when using an Electrical / Cigarette lighter adapter as well?
It works whenever your battery is charging, so plugged in to AC, DC, or USB doesn't matter.

That said I noticed an annoying feature about that. Yes it does keep the screen on. But it doesn't make it bright. It just keeps it on, and if you watch, it actually stays at your brightness setting for your screen timeout period, and then goes to a lower brightness. That annoyed me to no end.

I tried a lot of apps to trigger on charging and brighten the screen and keep it on and bright. I ended up using Setting Profiles. It is the only app that has come the closest to satisfying all my "profile switching" needs if you will. The only thing it doesn't have that I use is a vibrate setting for notifications. hopefully the devs will add that.

Thanks for the info. I might look into that app as an alternative to using Locale, although I hate that I have spent $10 on Locale already....

the app "display control" has a setting that you can set if the screen will brighten when you plug it in. it can also control screen timeout and stuff.

but it may not work with sholes/custom roms/rooted phones

Back
Top Bottom