• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Avant free tethering?

Download Wifi Tether Router
Install
Configure WiFi router
Choose your Wifi Name SSID
And Wifi Password
Interface-wlan0
Method-hostApd
Prevents Stand by- {Checkbox}
Hostapd patch- {Checkbox}
Auto disconnect wifi when starting tether- {Checkbox}
Enable DMZ- {Checkbox}

Click on APN Settings
Copy Default APN
Name {Same As Default APN2}
APN Name {Same As Default APN}
{Scroll Down}
APN protocol- {IPv4}
APN roaming protocol-IPv4}
And Save New Settings and select your New APN

Go back Wifi Tether Router Configuration
Tap DHCP Settings
and Tap Get Default provider DNS
and check DNS Redirect
and Tap Save Config

And Enable tether
hope it works for you
you can download the WiFi tether router from https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.snclab.wifitetherrouter&hl=en
and just pay for it

Last edited by a moderator:
I just tried the above method and it does work. Yeaaa!!!! Everything else i had tried didnt work. Unlimited tether now. Thanks for the info.

Install
Configure WiFi router
And Wifi Password
Interface-wlan0
Method-hostApd
Enable DMZ- {Checkbox}

Click on APN Settings
Copy Default APN
{Scroll Down}
APN protocol- {IPv4}

Tap DHCP Settings
and check DNS Redirect
and Tap Save Config

And Enable tether
hope it works for you
you can download the WiFi tether router from https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.snclab.wifitetherrouter&hl=en
and just pay for it
Fixed that for you. You didn't even offer a link and I think it read better this way.;)

Please don't encourage people to steal the pirated work of hard working developers. Here is something else to think about. WiFi tether router has a license check built in that has to be disabled for it to work if you didn't buy it. This means that if it works someone hacked it and who knows if the license check is all they changed. A hacked apk that also has root access can be a back door to all your personal info including bank and credit card info and the usernames and passwords for all your accounts. call me crazy but I'd rather pay the $2.50 and know that the app is doing what its supposed to and nothing else.
^^^that x 1,000,000
If I could have clicked the like button another 50 times I would have.:)

Is this still working for you all? I'm looking at buying an Avant and want to use it as a hotspot for my house in a rural area with 4G LTE coverage. Also, does one need to get the $5 add on for hotspot to have it work or no? I've heard/read if one doesn't have it the servers automatically block you. Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Is this still working for you all? I'm looking at buying an Avant and want to use it as a hotspot for my house in a rural area with 4G LTE coverage. Also, does one need to get the $5 add on for hotspot to have it work or no? I've heard/read if one doesn't have it the servers automatically block you. Thanks!!!
MetroPCS and T-Mobile use user agent detection to block unauthorized tethering. The methods shown here allow you to turn on the hotspot which is one half of the equation. The other half is to use a user agent switcher on your PC which hides tethering usage. I'm able to use the hotspot on my avant for both my windows laptop and my nexus 7 without any issues. The only thing you probably won't be able to use with the hotspot is gaming consoles because they typically don't allow for user agent switching. I did see a method for the ps3 once but nothing for Xbox 360. As far as the new consoles go I have no idea. I hope that answered any questions you may have.

MetroPCS and T-Mobile use user agent detection to block unauthorized tethering. The methods shown here allow you to turn on the hotspot which is one half of the equation. The other half is to use a user agent switcher on your PC which hides tethering usage. I'm able to use the hotspot on my avant for both my windows laptop and my nexus 7 without any issues. The only thing you probably won't be able to use with the hotspot is gaming consoles because they typically don't allow for user agent switching. I did see a method for the ps3 once but nothing for Xbox 360. As far as the new consoles go I have no idea. I hope that answered any questions you may have.
Could you help us out with what agent switcher you use and how exactly you set it up? I tried using chrome extensions and none of them seemed to work.

Could you help us out with what agent switcher you use and how exactly you set it up? I tried using chrome extensions and none of them seemed to work.
I use fiddler2 to change the user agent because it changes the user agent for any program on your pc that uses the internet. Just download and run the installer then open it and click on "rules" in the top left corner of the window then click on "user agents". It will give you a whole list of user agents to choose from. You can click on "kindle fire" or click on "custom" and leave the value blank. I think that you can use any of the user agents on the list but those two are the ones that I know for sure will work. You can get it from their website here http://www.telerik.com/fiddler/web-debugging or use this direct download link http://www.telerik.com/download/fiddler/fiddler2
If you don't have any other means of accessing the internet you can download it on your phone then transfer it to your hard drive via USB.

I'm kind of confused with the WiFi tether setup and can't get it to work...For the APN settings, is everything the same from the default t-mobile one besides changing the APN protocol from IP6 to IP4? Everything else should just be copied as-is from the default?

When I next go into DHCP Settings and click 'get default provider', all I get is an error saying 'problem while reading the first DNS'.
I seem to be missing something but I can't figure out what. (And yes, my phone is Rooted and all that jazz).
I'm on the T-Mobile $30 prepaid plan with 'Unlimited' 4G

Just curious for people using the wifi tether router app...can you use it in WPA2 in wireless N. I can only get it in wireless G in WPA mode. I've tried different settings but wasn't sure if I was missing something.

Install
Configure WiFi router
And Wifi Password
Interface-wlan0
Method-hostApd
Enable DMZ- {Checkbox}

Click on APN Settings
Copy Default APN
{Scroll Down}
APN protocol- {IPv4}

Tap DHCP Settings
and check DNS Redirect
and Tap Save Config

And Enable tether
hope it works for you
and just pay for it
It looks like this is now the only working method for tethering with the avant. I tried to use wanam xposed to enable the native hotspot and got the upsell page on my nexus 7 which never got the upsell page before. After that I installed WiFi tether router and set everything up and now I'm tethering again.

It looks like this is now the only working method for tethering with the avant. I tried to use wanam xposed to enable the native hotspot and got the upsell page on my nexus 7 which never got the upsell page before. After that I installed WiFi tether router and set everything up and now I'm tethering again.
So are you saying that your fiddler2 quit working cause mine did?

Did you update to fiddler v2.50?
Someone told me that it quit working after the update. I get a nag screen to update every time I use it but I just ignore it. I hate popups that nag you to update or rate an app

Back
Top Bottom