• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Back to Stock?

felopez

Hey, so a couple months ago, I flashed wildstang's CM10.1 ROM and TWRP 2.5.5 for my recovery (so I could do OTA updates). I just unlocked using HTC dev, I'm not S-Off or anything, but I've been having trouble with my cell radio and wifi lately, and the latest OTA update from Verizon will update my radio to match the recommended for the ROM.

So if I wanted to go back to stock and get the radio updates, do I just flash the stock sense ROM and Recovery or is it not that simple? Where could I find images for those?

Hey, so a couple months ago, I flashed wildstang's CM10.1 ROM and TWRP 2.5.5 for my recovery (so I could do OTA updates). I just unlocked using HTC dev, I'm not S-Off or anything, but I've been having trouble with my cell radio and wifi lately, and the latest OTA update from Verizon will update my radio to match the recommended for the ROM.

So if I wanted to go back to stock and get the radio updates, do I just flash the stock sense ROM and Recovery or is it not that simple? Where could I find images for those?

the unroot section of the guide is somewhat of a mess...

best thing at this point,would be to relock the bootloader,then run the ruu for 3.14.605.12. at that point the phone will be stock,and you can allow it to OTA to current 4.05.605.14

at that point,you can re-unlock and install root access,if you wish.

I need to return my phone to stock and currently have 4.05.605.14, can I run the ruu for 3.14.605.12 if I am S-ON? If not, what is the best solution?

best solution is to get S-OFF then run RUU. i haven't been able to find a stock OTA update to run as a zip. I made one, but its iffy... S-OFF sounds a lot harder than it is. just takes time and a spare SD card. S-OFF notes. Root is not required but unlocked is... Live CD works fine suggest printing the instructions though as it wouldn't pick up my router. Wire trick, touch it like a metronome. Also it may take 2-3 runs to get S-OFF to work. Only annoying thing about S-OFF is initially you get the JPbear Hboot and have to run the RUU to fix it to official Hboot.

FYI I have done all this to return a defective Rezound. Keep unlocked, do S-OFF, Run RUU (I believe you have to lock it before doing this), Turn S-ON.

Thanks guys! I think as long as I get the stock recovery and relocked I'll be good - at least I was the last rezound I returned!

Hey Scotty - a couple of things.
Is there any way to get rid of the tampered? Also, I think I did the process correctly but I'm still rooted, is this right?

Greg

Hey Scotty - a couple of things.
Is there any way to get rid of the tampered? Also, I think I did the process correctly but I'm still rooted, is this right?

Greg

yes,that is right... the rom you flashed is a rooted stock rom. all you need to do is remove superuser andyoure good to go. if the rom is rooted with superSU,i think it has an option to unroot,so just open superSU and choose that.

failing that,you can use a root file manager like root explorer to navigate to system/xbin and delete the superuser binary,and then to system/app and delete the app.

once youve removed superuser,do a factory reset from hboot with the bootloader relocked. assuming you ran the firmware file as well,wich replaced your recovery with the stock one, tampered might disapear once hboot realizes the phone is equipped with the stock recovery,kernel,and software.

if the factory reset doesnt do it,try flashing the firmware file again. if that doesnt do it,im afraid your stuck,as the only way to remove it while s on is to run an ruu.

I was never able to delete su from system/xbin (tried several different file explorers) so I sucked it up and got s-off! Probably last time I tried I was just to impatient. I appreciate all your help and vast insight. Thanks again!

Let me first start out by saying I am an EXTREME beginner in all this. I might honestly not be cut out for this as I thought, I just hope I didn't mess up my phone :/

I did all of the steps on this thread (the very first directions) and everything seemed to work out just fine. I installed CWM (I hope this stands for Clockwork Mod) and selected the ROM I wanted. I installed the INFECTION-2.9.1 LINARO-4.8 ROM. I was a bit confused when I went to download the zip file from site for this as there are six different zips to choose from. I chose the Dev-Inverted.zip (not quite sure if this was the correct option). It seemed to go through the steps just fine, even showing the developers logo when downloading; but then it got stuck on the white HTC screen when booting back up.

I waited for about 15 minutes and finally took out the battery to get it to turn off. It will start back up but will again get stuck on the white HTC screen.

I really don't know where to go from here, I have been going at this for hours now :( This is what my screen reads when it comes up in HBOOT.

***TAMPERED***
***UNLOCKED***
VIGOR PUT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-2.28.0000
RADIO-2.23-10.0123R/2.23.10.0124r
OpenDSP-v14.6.0.7708.00.0507
eMMC-boot
Sep 20 2012, 17:40:22

Please help!

Back
Top Bottom