• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Backing up nonstock LG G2 with unusable screen

reeseboy

Android Enthusiast
I dropped my phone this evening and so I have a replacement coming tomorrow hopefully. However I need to backup my phone to restore onto the new one.

What I have currently: VZW G2 running malladus 1.2.1 (stock based rom), TWRP recovery. Pattern lock, that I can't unlock since it wont respond to touches, debugging not enabled in OS, but working in TWRP.

What I need: Ideally, a nandroid backup would be great, but AT LEAST text messages backed up.

Can this be done thru adb in twrp? What do I need to type in an adb shell?

Edit:

- How I recovered my setup off the old phone -

*Thanks to IowaBowTech below for pointing me to CWM nontouch... didn't even occur to me honestly.

-Installed LG drivers - http://wacomalt.com/dropbox/LGG2/StockRevert/LG VZW_United_WHQL_v2.11.1.exe
-Downloaded the nontouch loki enabled CWM from this thread. I used recovery-clockwork-6.0.4.4-vs980.lok.
-Rebooted phone into recovery using button combo -
1. Ensure the device is powered off and usb cable is not connected.
2. Press and hold the Volume down button and the Power button.
3. When the LG logo is displayed release the Power button only then immediately press and hold the Power button again.
4. Release both buttons when the Factory hard reset screen displays.
5. Press the Power button twice to continue. (with a custom recovery this will take you into recovery instead of performing the factory reset it claims will happen)
-Connected usb cable. The phone showed up as an unknown device in device manager so I had to manually install the drivers. I installed it as "LGE AndroidNet for VZW ADB Interface" from the install folder of the LG drivers - "C:\Program Files\LG Electronics\LG VZW United Driver". After doing this I made sure the phone was listed when I typed adb devices.
-Now that I could access the phone, I put the cwm recovery image in the same folder as adb then pushed it to the phone.
adb push recovery-clockwork-6.0.4.4-vs980.lok /data/local/tmp/recovery-clockwork-6.0.4.4-vs980.lok
-Flashed CWM.
adb shell
cd /data/local/tmp

dd if=/data/local/tmp/recovery-clockwork-6.0.4.4-vs980.lok of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery

exit

Rebooted the phone back into recovery... the one I just installed.
adb reboot recovery
After it was rebooted into the nontouch CWM, I made a backup using the phone buttons (vol up/down to scroll, power to select). Then I pulled that backup to my computer.
adb pull /data/media/clockworkmod/backup c:\lgG2\backup
I now had a CWM backup of my old phone. With that, I rooted my new phone and installed CWM on it, then copied the backup over to restore in CWM recovery.

Ok. I think the best option would be to switch to clockwork recovery (non touch version) and then you could do a true nand backup. There are loki enabled cwm recovery images here:

ClockworkMod Recovery Images Available for Verizon LG G2 - xda-developers

There's a link in that thread which explains how to install. Obviously, you'd have to change the command set slightly to use the name of the cwm recover img file instead of the twrp the OP used when he made the instructs but otherwise it should work the same. If you have any questions on this, let me know. It's the method I used to flash my twrp recovery.

If you are set on using adb, I don't know of any way to do a nandroid backup but you could pull system and data. Without the ability to access the mount buttons in twrp currently, you'd have to try and mount via terminal before using adb pull. Check out the last paragraph of THIS post.

That sounds like a great solution! Thank you for the help, I will be doing this tonight and report back with the steps followed and the end result for anyone in the future that gets stuck in this scenario.

Congrats. Nicely done an thanks for documenting your efforts. Will almost certainly help somebody else down the road. :thumbup:

Back
Top Bottom