• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Backup/Restore complete settings & prefrences

jl79

Android Enthusiast
Does anyone know of a way to backup and then restore specific settings and preferences like ringtones applied to certain callers, user settings, layout settings, and any other settings you adjust to your liking when you install a new ROM?

I use Titanium Backup for my apps and data, but it is a pain to re-apply ringtones to specific callers and all the other little settings you adjust to get the phone working they way you like.

Does anyone know of a way to backup and then restore specific settings and preferences like ringtones applied to certain callers, user settings, layout settings, and any other settings you adjust to your liking when you install a new ROM?

I use Titanium Backup for my apps and data, but it is a pain to re-apply ringtones to specific callers and all the other little settings you adjust to get the phone working they way you like.

TB can do it. I would do a nandroid backup first before trying it. If you are coming from the same rom just updating( Mikg3.0 to Mikg3.1 for instance) you can restore some system data including those settings. If you pick restore system data, you should be able to safely restore anything that is green in system data. I just did it when I upgraded to MikG3.1 from 3.0 and no issues. It may work from rom to rom as this info is pretty generic I think but not positive.

TB can do it. I would do a nandroid backup first before trying it. If you are coming from the same rom just updating( Mikg3.0 to Mikg3.1 for instance) you can restore some system data including those settings. If you pick restore system data, you should be able to safely restore anything that is green in system data. I just did it when I upgraded to MikG3.1 from 3.0 and no issues. It may work from rom to rom as this info is pretty generic I think but not positive.

I just can't seem to figure out how to get TB to restore all my specific settings like assigned ringtones to callers, alarms and numerous other little settings. I was tossing around the idea of getting my backup pro to do this for me...has anyone had a good experience with it?

I just can't seem to figure out how to get TB to restore all my specific settings like assigned ringtones to callers, alarms and numerous other little settings. I was tossing around the idea of getting my backup pro to do this for me...has anyone had a good experience with it?

If you open TB then tap backup/restore at the top, it should populate a list of all the apps/files on your phone. If you go down the list, there will be some that are shown in green and are in this format: [Contact/Calls]Contact Storage 2.3.3

Those should be the ones you are looking for to restore your settings. There is one for Desktop, SMS, Email, Bookmarks, etc. Those should be ok to restore. Also there are some listed with a TB symbol in front of them like"Bluetooth Pairings", "Accounts", etc....those also contain info that can be restored if you have anything set in those.

I was in your same position trying to figure TB out, finally I said screw it and went with MyBackUp Pro. It''s so easy to just backup everything, rewstore everything, and have your new rom come out exactly like your old rom. The only problem I've ran into is having duplicate contacts but that's an easy fix in itself.

Hope this helps!

I was in your same position trying to figure TB out, finally I said screw it and went with MyBackUp Pro. It''s so easy to just backup everything, rewstore everything, and have your new rom come out exactly like your old rom. The only problem I've ran into is having duplicate contacts but that's an easy fix in itself.

Hope this helps!

How did you fix the double contacts problem? Did you just not back them up since they are already backed up in the cloud?

Back
Top Bottom