• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Backup to computer question

Is there a way to sync my tablet to a directory on my computer, update the sync from time to time, and restore the data to the tablet if I have a problem that requires a reset to the original state? (I know I can do this manually, but is there an app that sort of automates the process.)

I have a Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, with software 4.1.1.
My computer is a PC with Windows 8.

Thanks,
Tom

I actually have 2 ways that I do it (depending on the files). One is free up to 15GB, the other requires you to buy software but has no limits.

The first way is through Google Drive which gives you 15GB free. Install the google drive program (Download Drive for PC link in the google drive web interface) on your Windows computer and select a base folder for it to keep your google drive synced to.

On your android device(s), install the folder sync lite app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dk.tacit.android.foldersync.lite) and setup a folder pair between your google drive and a base folder on your device. DON'T sync the root of your internal SD card -- that would probably cause problems since it would include the android app data folder tree which could legitimately be different on your different android devices). Choose the frequency you want it to sync and put a checkmark next to WiFi but NOT next to the various xG and LTE options -- this way it only syncs over WiFi and doesn't use your data quota.

Now move the files you want to have synced into the google drive folder (or a sub-folder underneath that). They will be automatically synced amongst all of your devices.

The second way is using a Windows file sync program. I use GoodSync: File Synchronization Software, File Backup, File Sync which also has a companion Android app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.siber.gsserver). I set up sync jobs on the laptop and select the folder trees from my devices that I want to sync. I have Setting Profiles set to start the GoodSync server every night just after midnight and I have task scheduler on the laptop setup to run the GoodSync jobs just after that so that I get once-a-day syncing at home over WiFi. Note that I exclude the google drive folder from the GoodSync jobs.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones