• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery Debate Issue after Oreo Update

khaos526

Lurker
Ok, there are a ton of websites and youtube videos out there dealing with the battery issue on the S9 after the Oreo update. I have done all of the minor tweaks such as clearing the cache, setting up optimization, monitoring app usage, putting unused apps to sleep, auto disable unused apps, turning down brightness and a number of more tweaks I can't even remember right now.

The two things I have not done and am very confused about are the:
A) #0228# to check battery status (which some say calibrates the phone)
B) Draining the battery to 0%, fully recharging it to 100% and repeating the process a 2nd time.

Both those things I have heard about 50% of the replies saying to do them and the other 50% saying do not do those two things.

Is there any hard core decision of if one or both of those should or should not be done? I don't want to do a factory reset on my phone, but running out of ideas as soon as I got the update, my battery power sucked. I just can't find any expert opinion on the above examples if they should or should not be done?

So confused, too much information out there...

well i;m not sure about all of that. i never ever let my phone get to zero. it is not good for the battery to let it run dry like that......but that is my opinion.

Battery University has some great info about li batteries. it has been awhile since i have been there to read, but they have some great info on batteries.

Ok, there are a ton of websites and youtube videos out there dealing with the battery issue on the S9 after the Oreo update. I have done all of the minor tweaks such as clearing the cache, setting up optimization, monitoring app usage, putting unused apps to sleep, auto disable unused apps, turning down brightness and a number of more tweaks I can't even remember right now.

I thought the Galaxy S9 came with Android 8 Oreo when it was first released, and was subsequently OTA updated to Android 9 Pie around February-March this year, depending on the particular variant you've got there.

Sounds like you've tried everything you can, and maybe a factory reset is what it needs?

Yes sorry, it's PIE, not Oreo (I get confused with these stupid desert names of OS systems).

Ok good, it does seem draining the battery to 40% or lower can lessen the life span of it, so I'm still confused why so many sites and forums still suggest that, but it could be that it's just misinformation and it then in turn gets spread around.

I'll just leave that alone and not bother with draining the batter then and just deal with the issue in hopes that somehow it gets fixed in a newer update.

The last thing I want is to do a factory reset. I've customized so many things that took a long time (most of which I've already forgotten) and wouldn't want to have to start from scratch as I did last year when I upgraded from a Blackberry 9360 to the S9 (you can tell how overwhelming that was). In fact I'm still not sure about 80% of this phone so don't want to add more issues with the reset. My friend actually did that and she said it caused her more pain than the drain was and ended up not noticing any difference. So there's that risk too...

Back
Top Bottom