• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery Issue Galaxy S2

Suanydub one other thing to check...

If Maps is soaking up all the battery life, please check you do not have "Latitude" activated and that you sign out of it (settings, Do not update location, Signout of Latitude). Far as I know it updates your location frequently which you don't need. As an aside - you've got to worry what people agree to with Goggle for eg. I can see someone has a user name of "Dungeon Sally" up the road from my place at #12!!

I have lost a reference to a setting somewhere but I recall seeing a dialog box somewhere that had an update frequency of something ranging from every 10s to once or twice a day. At every 10s you can bet it's going to suck your battery dry and chew up mobile data also! In fact I cannot see what value Latitude brings compared to the 'cost' involved at all.

Upvote 0
When I first got my SGS2 I was getting about 6 - 8 hours usage out of it. I'm an average user and played games more than anything else. I later installed a custom ROM (Lightning ROM) and got about 12+ hours.

I played around with lots of different configurations, trying to get the best battery life out of the phone. Eventually I found that by simply disabling mobile data I get anything from 24hrs (normal usage) to 2+ days (e.g. on standby with minimal usage).

I currently have about 7 screens, live wallpaper, average of 3 widgets per screen and have sync enabled. I just switch on data when I need it.

Cant complain with this phone. I've had the HTC DZ and iPhone 4, yet this phone still comes out on top for me. :cool:

Anyway I am off to hook up my SGS2 to the big screen and play mario cart 64... using the bluetooth mouse and keyboard as well!

Reactions: ultracone
Upvote 0
Is it the same if i update my firmware by just using 'Check for update'?
Why do people update firmware manually? :thinking:

coz the other way of getting updates is really slow, i.e. wat we can manually install today could take 2 months to appear via Kies etc.., depending on ur region

go here if ur interested in manually flashing an update (KG5 is the newest official i believe)

and its really really good. im consistently getting 24+ hours with everything ON. thats wifi/3g/gps/auto sync and a fairly bright screen. and not very light usage too, im an average user. i think its pretty impressive. i was struggling to get 14 hours out of any older firmware

Reactions: ultracone
Upvote 0
Hello, im a bit of a newby to all this, i hope someone can help...?

Ive had the GS2 for just over a week and ive experienced really poor battery life, typical performance is about 5 - 6 hours from fully charged, with very light usage (example: sending approx 5 texts, sending a couple of tweets and aprox 5 mins browsing - usually on wi-fi with a good signal).

Ive turned off live wall papers and experimented with turning off wi-fi and GPS when i dont have them available.

Weather updates every 6 hours twitter every 2 hours and i have push mail set up. Other than this theres not much I can see thats turned on.

I read on an xda forum that toggling flight mode on and off 3 times might help but didnt get any success. I also read there that doing a factory reset can solve the issue, i tried this but again to no avail.

If anyone has any advice id be really grateful as i love this phone but i cant get a days use out of it, even with light usage.

Ive noticed on my battery monitor that 'Android OS' is consistently the highest power user, usually around 40%-50%, screen seems to be around 10%-20%.

Oh also, i fully discharged the battery before re-charging for the first 3 times. I use the wall charger to charger not the USB :)

Any feedback advice would be much appreciated.

NEVER fully discharge the Samsung Galaxy SII. Because it uses a Li-ION battery, it doesn't have the memory effect. Fully discharging can lead to serious battery damage. As when the Lithium cells have been depleted below critical level, they will not recharge again.

There are some amazing replacements on amazon though. Worth a look. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones