• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Battery Life Advice?

Just need some quick advice. I have been rooted for 5 months and never really had a battery problem just flash the kernel that everyone was using for that ROM. But lately I have been getting crap battery life. for example when I leave for school the battery at 100% like it should be then we I arrive at school its at 80% and that has never happen before? I have tried flashing different kernels didnt help that much. Switching ROM thinking it was that didnt help. I tried using setcpu only made my phone going slower. Any ideas on what I have been doing wrong?

could be a few things. turn gps off. bluetooth off. turn your mobile network off (youll still receive calls and sms, you wont receive emails or be able to download mms messages). as for setcpu it all depends how you set it up, some settings will make your phone lag. also have you tried a battery cycle?

What kernels and roms have you been using? Some more info would be helpful.

Also make use of the Spare Parts app and see if you have any partial wake issues. It sounds like that's probably your issue.

The ROM's that I have been using is Elite S3, King cocoa, and Destroyer have been giving the bad battery life. I did run Elite 1 and 2 got great battery life. The kernels are netarchy 4.3.1 cfs-havs-nosbc and netarchy 4.3.4 cfs-havs more nosbc and netarchy 4.3.2 cfs-havs more nosbc. I hope this helps

Destroyer is an AOSP rom so you shouldn't be using netarchy's stuff....they're for sense based roms. Try savagedzen or Tiamat with destroyer or any other AOSP rom.

Sorry for this but where is the partial wake. I went through the app and didn't really see it

Go into spare parts and hit battery history. From the dropdown you should be able to choose "partial wake" as one of your options. The stuff under partial wake is essentially what has been using your phone while you think its sleeping.

Well nothing under partial wake should be very high. If you don't see anything with a large partial wake, I suppose it could be a pri issue. What is your pri version? I think you have to be on a sense rom to use it. Some have found that downgrading the pri helps with battery life. I am on 1.9 and I've never had any trouble but some have had good results with downgrading it to 1.7.

I honestly don't know how to do it so maybe somebody else can chime in.

Well nothing under partial wake should be very high. If you don't see anything with a large partial wake, I suppose it could be a pri issue. What is your pri version? I think you have to be on a sense rom to use it. Some have found that downgrading the pri helps with battery life. I am on 1.9 and I've never had any trouble but some have had good results with downgrading it to 1.7.

I honestly don't know how to do it so maybe somebody else can chime in.

I honestly believe you should try different kernels, let them settle in w/a few charge cycles, adjust some of your settings, etc., before downgrading your radio's. If you feel you *must* though, you can find them here. You flash them like you would a kernel but don't flash all at once (ie: flash pri/nv then reboot, flash radio's then reboot).

Thanks for the advice and help. I already did downgrade my pri to 1.7. Just a quick question with the setcpu. I read through the setcpu guide and I am having some problems getting the scaling just right. If I get some help setting it up that would be great.

Thanks for the advice and help. I already did downgrade my pri to 1.7. Just a quick question with the setcpu. I read through the setcpu guide and I am having some problems getting the scaling just right. If I get some help setting it up that would be great.
my screen shots show how i have my setcpu set up... been running my setup for over a week and am getting great battery life... i usually don't go "all day" without having time to plug it in, but on average i go 10 hours and hit 55 - 50 % battery... it's too bad my battery usage always resets when i reboot... i'd post those results if i could but have been flashing a bunch today...

Attachments

• snap20110409_211325.jpg
    snap20110409_211325.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 41
  • snap20110409_211330.jpg
    snap20110409_211330.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 43

A good setting would be scale min: 245, max: 1152 w/ the conservative governor, create a "screen off" profile set at min: 245, max: 245, also conservative governor. Whenever making changes, remember to uncheck "set at boot" until you like the changes you've applied.....once everything is set to the way you like, check "set at boot".

I am change my scaling to what you guys had said. And now I am getting random reboots does that mean I need to change my kernel?

I am change my scaling to what you guys had said. And now I am getting random reboots does that mean I need to change my kernel?

No, it may mean that 1152 may be too high for your Evo. Try scaling it back a little like 1113 or so and see if you get better results.

Back
Top Bottom