• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery Life Report (VZW)

Travisimo

Android Enthusiast
Jul 7, 2010
USA
As a VZW customer who switched from a Galaxy Nexus to the Galaxy S3 nearly 9 days ago, I wanted to give a specific report on battery life. One of my primary complaints about the GNex is battery life, despite using the extended battery from day one. For those that are interested, here are my comments regarding battery life on the VZW variant of the GS3, specifically compared to the GNex.

For 5 days per week, I have a regular routine of phone usage which includes 100% charge when I leave for work, 8 hours of work, and then heading home. At work, I am deep inside a building for about 7 of those 8 hours with very poor signal. The other hour consists of 2 breaks that are closer to the exit with better signal. Throughout the 7 hours inside the building, the phone is mainly in my pocket and I listen to a variety of audio, such as streaming music and/or podcasts via Doggcatcher using Bluetooth headphones. I don't listen constantly the whole time, but perhaps about 50% of the time. On my breaks, I normally use the phone a bit or set it up as a hotspot for my tablet to use.

Since December of last year, the GNex has been my main device. As I noted previously, I used the extended battery on my GNex, but even with the extra juice, I would typically get very low on battery by the time I left for work. If I didn't use the WIFI Hotspot feature, then I would typically have no more than 20-30% battery left when leaving work. Sometimes I used the WIFI Hotpost during one of my breaks (1/2 hour) and then my battery would be nearly empty when leaving for work. I found this frustrating because there were times when I purposefully had to refrain from using my phone (especially streaming audio) in order to have enough battery to last my entire shift. I'm convinced that the main reason for battery drain was due to poor signal strength inside the building. It would always drop to 3G and sometimes it would lose data altogether (depending on where I was located).

In conclusion, my Galaxy Nexus would typically drain about 10% per hour at work. At home on WIFI, the GNex obviously fared much better. Honestly, I was not expecting the GS3 to be much better, especially after hearing early reports of similar reception issues, etc.

I am HAPPY to report that there is a SIGNIFICANT increase in battery life under the same conditions with the GS3. I have had over a week of testing now under the same conditions, and when I leave for work now, I am usually between 50-60% of battery, and that is even with using the Hotspot for about 30 minutes. Here are some specific observations I have made:

- The GS3 is getting better reception inside the building that my GNex was getting. It's still on 3G, but the signal strength (db) is better on the GS3 (not significantly so, maybe 5-10 db). More importantly, I have not lost data even once, AND the phone does not get noticeable warm (the GNex would get warm in very low signal areas).

- The WIFI Hotspot on the GS3 is MUCH more efficient than the GNex. However, I'm not sure the comparison is fair. On the Gnex, I would just use the stock WIFI Hotspot feature (since I was unlocked and rooted). On the GS3, I am not rooted and have been using Foxfi (which works GREAT by the way). Even after using Foxfi for about 1/2 hour, the phone is not warm and the battery only dropped about 5% (the Gnex would drop over 10% per half hour when using the hotspot).

- When playing podcasts via Doggcather with the Presto feature (which enables the ability to play at faster speeds), my GNex would drop faster when playing the audio at a faster rate. On the GS3, I am not noticeable as much of a drop when playing audio at faster speeds. I'm thinking it's because the processor is faster and more efficient.

- When streaming audio, I am not getting buffering like I was on the GNex. In some areas of the building, my GNex would either just barely have a signal or would sometimes would lose data altogether. Has not happened on the GS3.

SUMMARY: The GS3 gets better reception, more consistent connection, more efficient power handling, less draining WIFI Hotspot, and does not need an extended battery. I'm even willing to live with a locked bootloader since battery life and reception are more important to me. Don't get me wrong, I love my Nexus and will not be getting rid of it (even if only to keep up with the latest Jellybean updates to play around with), but the hardware on the GS3 is so much better! I WISH the GS3 was the Nexus. Unfortunately, even if there is another Nexus this year, I doubt at this point Verizon will get it.

I have a full 4g reception in my office. I started at 7:30 this morning. I have sent one email, 10 text messages and commented 3 on facebook status updates. My battery was at 100% now at 10:02 am its at 84% with power mode on. I believe 4g is the biggest culprit.

That's why you should toggle between 3G and 4G as needed. Email and texting don't need 4G speed. Leave your phone on 3G when you aren't using it.

Upvote 0
My battery life has been great except when I listen to music via stereo bluetooth. My previous phone, the Droid X streamed music through direct mpeg via A2DP which essentially just sends the mp3 straight to the buetooth headphones. The S3 only supports SBC (Sub Band Codec) which re-encodes the mp3 prior to sending it out. It sounds awful this way and the cpu eats up batter y transcoding to this codec.

So on the DX, if I used it for nothing else except playing locally stored music streamed to bt headphones, I could go all day without touching the battery. It would still be 80% by the end of the day with 10+ hours of music.

The S3 is drained in about 3 hours from fully charged and gets quite warm too.

Since I use my phone for music playback more than any other activity, this unfortunate reality is probably going to be a deal killer. I have a few things to try prior to turning the phones back in which includes rooting and messing with the A2DP profile section of the audio.conf file, but I'm not holding out too much hope. I know that CM would solve the problem as many others have reported on the S2, but that is probably going to be too radical for me.

Upvote 0
I'm seeing a tremendous improvement in battery life as well. Coming from Gnex with extended battery since release day in December.

on the Nexus, even if I don't do anything, sitting idle in 4G drains about 7 to 8% per hour. 3G is 5% and wifi is 2% per hour. Streaming netflix over 4G on the nexus will drain a fully charged extended battery in about 2 hours, and phone gets extremely hot. Same thing with streaming youtube over 4g. It gets so hot, apps will start to force close themselves.

With the S3, if I don't touch it, I see about a 2 to 3% drop per hour on 4g standby, 3g and wifi both show about 1 to 2% drop per hour. Streaming netflix over 4g, I was able to get almost 7 hours out of a full charge. Phone never gets hot, or even warm to the touch. No force closes.

Also with the nexus, it often will show strong 4G signal but no data will flow through. where as on the S3, it very quickly switches between 3G and 4G, and I've yest to experience a data stall over the last 9 days.

My daily routine is unplug the phone when I head to work at 7am, I have 3 email accounts on push that average around 300 emails per day total, I check FB, TW, News several times a day, totaling about 30 minutes of screen on time by the time I get out of work at 3:30pm. With the nexus, I'm usually getting the low battery warning by now. On the S3, last 7 work days, I still have 70% battery left by the time I get out of work, and that includes additional play time (downloading apps, learning how to use touchwiz etc) (usually about 1 hour of screen on time by 3:30pm)

Overall I'm very impressed with the S3's battery life, it's about 2x to 3x better than the Nexus. I just wish we can load vanilla ICS or JB on it as I hate touchwiz!

Upvote 0
My phone was at 48% after 8 hours. I was able to listen to music at the gym with it for an hour after work and it hit 5% around 7 pm. So I got roughly 12 hours with moderate usage. I guess my battery just likes to drop like a rock in the morning then hold up in the afternoon. Will monitor it again today. I am going to guess this is about the norm for this phone.

Upvote 0
My phone was at 48% after 8 hours. I was able to listen to music at the gym with it for an hour after work and it hit 5% around 7 pm. So I got roughly 12 hours with moderate usage. I guess my battery just likes to drop like a rock in the morning then hold up in the afternoon. Will monitor it again today. I am going to guess this is about the norm for this phone.

12 hours isn't too bad if you use your phone quite a bit. I use an app called "Battery Monitor Widget" that accurately reads my battery usage over time. So after about 13 days of using the phone now, it is saying I'm averaging about 16 hours of battery life per charge. And the phone averages a little over 3 hours to fully charge from 0-100%. It also gives you estimates of how much longer your battery will last based on your global use, your current use, etc. Very nice app... it won't be accurate until after you've charged your phone a few times though.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...ult#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNjYzcxLmJtdy5wcm8iXQ..

Regarding your battery drain depending on time of day, here's what I've found to be the major factors:

- The phone will drain much faster when you are not on a WIFI network. When on WIFI, the phone will only drain 1-3% per hour if your screen is off. On 4G, it's about double that.

- The phone will drain faster when you have a poor signal, so look at your signal strength (in db, not bars) and see if your signal is worse during the day when it drains faster (assuming you are not on WIFI).

- The phone will drain faster if you are streaming audio or listening to bluetooth headphones. Also, some have reported that the battery drains pretty quickly when playing local media? I haven't noticed that because I mostly play Pandora or Mog streaming audio.

- And of course, check your screen on time because the screen is probably the single biggest contributor to battery drain if it's on. Auto brightness might save a bit of battery, but I couldn't stand it and had to turn it up somewhat.

Upvote 0
I'm lovin' the S3's battery life. I always leave WiFi and 4G on and do not have Power Saving enabled. I'm a lite user at work cause I'm constantly moving/driving. When I get home in the afternoon, I've still got 70% or more after 10 hours battery with only 1 to 1.5 hours screen time. By the end of the night I'm usually at 15% for 17 hours on battery and 3.5 hours screen time. I've yet to kill my SIII, even on the weekends. It's as good or better than my Droid X was over the past two years. Happy!

Upvote 0
Yep, no complaints here with mine on VZW, amazed with how awesome it is. I unplug it roughly around 9-10am each day, use it thoroughly throughout the day and it still has >20% around 11 at night. Playing games, music, and depending where I am at work will drop from 3/4G to 1x and back and forth without draining.

Upvote 0
Facebook app through out the day, text messages and playing music for an hour+ at the gym gets me around 10-12 hours. I will take it. Its better than my droid x. I thought I had a bad battery at first, but its been good.

Facebook app on android is known battery hog. You will see much better battery life if you disable sync on facebook or delete it and use browser for facebook. But seems you are ok with battery and facebook app.

Upvote 0
Facebook app on android is known battery hog. You will see much better battery life if you disable sync on facebook or delete it and use browser for facebook. But seems you are ok with battery and facebook app.

Thanks sandroid! I noticed the app was killing my battery, I have been closing the app using the task manager and that has helped out a lot. I will switch to the browser and see how long my battery lasts now. But 12 hours I am not going to complain about. Thanks man!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones