• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help battery problems

My battery is driving me insane. Some days it seems fine, but other days I take a shower and battery goes down 10%, roughly 25 min.

Phone had great battery when I got it in Dec 2013. Now for a couple of weeks, bad battery.

WiFi is constantly on in battery stats.. Phone is awake too. screen is on when I have it on, but when I turn off the phone, it is still on. Mobile network signal looks normal.

Tried changing settings. Google now hotword is off, developer options off, location services off, fast boot off, WiFi is only on when plugged in, Google now off, Google voice search off

I downloaded dodol launcher a while back then this start happening, but I uninstalled it.

Thanks for the help!

My battery is driving me insane. Some days it seems fine, but other days I take a shower and battery goes down 10%, roughly 25 min.

Phone had great battery when I got it in Dec 2013. Now for a couple of weeks, bad battery.

WiFi is constantly on in battery stats.. Phone is awake too. screen is on when I have it on, but when I turn off the phone, it is still on. Mobile network signal looks normal.

Tried changing settings. Google now hotword is off, developer options off, location services off, fast boot off, WiFi is only on when plugged in, Google now off, Google voice search off

I downloaded dodol launcher a while back then this start happening, but I uninstalled it.

Thanks for the help!

Settings / Power / Usage

You'll find the answers you're looking for if you follow the above steps. Avoid poorly coded apps in the future.

Upvote 0
Yeah on the few times it seemed like my battery was draining faster than it should the Android OS was way near the top, then settles down the next day, have yet to have trouble getting through a normal day (when mostly on wifi). sometimes when off wifi (3G where I live is pretty bad... still!!!!) the battery will die from trying to use weak or no signal. Obviusly on the occasions that I am streaming movies or movies for several hours it goes down a little faster.

GOOD LUCK!

Upvote 0
Hi, I have done that many times. The ANDROID OS comes in at 98%. Not sure if this means anything.

The best way to diagnose issues like this is to disable anything that could cause severe battery drain, then enable them 1 by 1 over a period of time. This will give you time to see any patterns that may arise. There's many things that could potential cause poor battery life, this is just a few;

1. You live in a low signal area. For example, whenever I go Mountain Biking I notice a considerable drop in battery life due to poor signal. (Fix: Airplane Mode)

2. You live in an area with both 4G/3G coverage. This means your 3G and 4G connections will most likely be switching back and forth depending on signal strength. This can cause a significant decrease in battery life. (Fix: Settings / Mobile Data / Network Mode / CMDA Only note: doing this disables 4G.)

Also, disable Connections Optimizer. I've noticed that it was killing my battery life. (Settings / Mobile Data / Automatic Connections)

Upvote 0
Have you tried using power saver mode? I notice no decrease in the snappiness of the phone and the brightnesss level is fine as well. This mode also disables all internet connections when the phone is in standby, so that will help the most with battery if you are in an area with weak signal. My phone easily lasts an entire day and i watch livestreams a lot, it did take time adjusting to the lower battery life compared to my old phone which lasted forever cause it had a much smaller screen and lower specs etc. With these new phones you really just gotta tell yourself if it makes it a whole day with normal usage that is acceptable.

Upvote 0
Hi, did you install last version of software 4.4.2 Kit Kat? I have got problem with battery after I updated my phone.

Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0
Hello,

What I discovered so far about the issue discussed is, that the battery drain starts as I turn on my wi-fi or mobile internet. Most of the time my wi-fi and mobile data transfer are off, but when i turn either one of them on, my desire 601 is awake constantly, even if I press power button to turn the screen off and put it to sleep. The result of the phone being awake is battery drain.

I also have a screenshot showing that the start of the long period of awakeness is perfectly aligned with the time I turned on my wi-fi. Edit: I can't include this screenshot, because this is my first post on this forum. I'll try to post it in my next post.
Wi-fi was on for a short period of time, but my phone was constantly awake for approx. 5 hours after turning wi-fi off and after pressing power button to put it to sleep. After that it went to sleep, what was the reason I don't have a clue.

All this started after KitKat 4.4.2 and Sense 5.5 OTA update.

Hope this helps solving our problem. Our best bet is probably a software update from HTC.

Upvote 0
This is the screenshot mentioned above:

Screenshot_2014-05-12-20-07-08.png

Upvote 0
Hi. Sorry if I'm jumping in late to an old thread. But I believe I can share some information that may help others with the same battery drain problem after the 4.4.2 update. Shortly after 4.4.2, Google acknowledged there was a bug in the update relating to camera hardware that was causing severe battery drain for some users. According to articles I read at the time, the bug was one of the patched items in 4.4.3. Sorry, I have no links to those articles but I found them via searches on Google. Although the bug had nothing to do with the Skype app, I read that something in Skype could trigger the bug with the camera software and that would start the battery draining unusually fast. I removed Skype from my phone but that had no effect. I had to do a factory reset after which I did not re-install Skype. My battery drain problem seemed to be repaired. However, since the reset, the battery drain problem had re-appeared several times. I haven't nailed down the exact trigger, but the last time this happened (yesterday) it was after I used the camera.

In a typical day I start off with a 100% charge if I have plugged in overnight. By the end of the day with my normal light use I'm getting down to around 80%. On days when I realize that I'm having battery problems, I'm down to 80% by the time I arrive at work (when normally I'd be around 98%) and the phone feels warm to the touch. When this happens, I have to shut off the phone and remove the battery. When I reassemble the phone, the battery drain problem is gone, at least until the next time.

I wish HTC would put together a 4.4.3 or higher update for the Desire. But I don't think enough people have experienced this problem or have just decided to live with it until they can switch phones.

Anyway, hopefully this information can be helpful to someone.

wmo43

Upvote 0
Hello,

What I discovered so far about the issue discussed is, that the battery drain starts as I turn on my wi-fi or mobile internet. Most of the time my wi-fi and mobile data transfer are off, but when i turn either one of them on, my desire 601 is awake constantly, even if I press power button to turn the screen off and put it to sleep. The result of the phone being awake is battery drain.

I also have a screenshot showing that the start of the long period of awakeness is perfectly aligned with the time I turned on my wi-fi. Edit: I can't include this screenshot, because this is my first post on this forum. I'll try to post it in my next post.
Wi-fi was on for a short period of time, but my phone was constantly awake for approx. 5 hours after turning wi-fi off and after pressing power button to put it to sleep. After that it went to sleep, what was the reason I don't have a clue.

All this started after KitKat 4.4.2 and Sense 5.5 OTA update.

Hope this helps solving our problem. Our best bet is probably a software update from HTC.

I had the exact same issue. My phone battery would last no longer than 8-10 hours after the 4.4.2 update. Regardless if I used it or not. A factory reset solved this issue however, now I notice improved battery life over 4.2.2.

Upvote 0
Dear sir
For the wifi always on on battery status problem even when it is off,i try this method on my htc 601 and it help on my phone.please go to wifi setting > advance > and uncheck "scanning always available" option. Also "Keep wifi on during sleep" option set it to "only when plugged in". Hope it will help.

Upvote 0
Dear sir
For the wifi always on on battery status problem even when it is off,i try this method on my htc 601 and it help on my phone.please go to wifi setting > advance > and uncheck "scanning always available" option. Also "Keep wifi on during sleep" option set it to "only when plugged in". Hope it will help.

Foget to mention, the method help me to solve phone always awake long time indicated on battery status even it sleep problem on my phone.

Upvote 0
I had the same problem - massive battery drain, mostly from the android system, and it started with the update.

I used HTC backup to back all my stuff up to my dropbox, then I did a factory reset, then I restored the backup.

Score! Battery life is better now than it was before the update. HTC backup/restore worked way better than I was expecting.

Upvote 0
Yep, I'm having this issue now though mine's not related to the wifi it just stays awake all of a sudden. The hopefully temporary solution is to do a restart and it seems to get things back to normal for another day or so. I've just been doing that the last couple weeks, keep an eye on it and then reset it when it starts to stay awake.

Kinda sucking!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones