• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help battery question?

well, I sort of see what you're saying, but that might have applied had it been a Li-polymer battery, and as it turns out it is a Li-ion battery after all, so hopefully it really is as indicated, 2600mAh.

Anyway, as you say, wait and see how it performs for you.

The eBay UK aoonen battery seller replied yesterday and confirmed that it is a Li-ion battery...
 
Hi Paul, The battery arrived today 20th. from Hong Kong and after removal of insulator strip from contacts, I put it into phone and it's on charge. It's showing 92% charge at the moment, but I can't establish whether it's Li-ion or Polymer.
The accompanying instruction sheet is totally in Chinese!
There is no info on the packaging stating type of construction, but because it is the same physical size as the original Huawei HB4J1 battery, it has to be Polymer construction.
I'll post more when I've had it in use and see how long it holds charge. Neil.
 
Sorry Paul, I didn't time it exactly but it's not much different than the original. I'll be more accurate next charge. Neil.
 
Hi Paul, Battery charge time from 6% - 100% = 150 minutes. Sound familiar? Seems to be performing OK and certainly good value for money. Cheers Neil.
 
I have a Huawei U8150 IDEOS. The out of the box battery life is terrible with only only 30 hours of life. I rooted the phone and added "Juicedefender Ultimate" to dial down the CPU idle speed, the phone now has a battery life of over 120 hours. Great phone that has a feeble battery but with rooting the problem is solved. There are other CPU controller apps available but with JDU I tweek the screen, apps, cpu.
 
Hi mikemp3, Isn't the idea of "rooting" to speed up the phone? Would the Juice Defender Ultimate App work as effectively without "rooting" to achieve longer battery life?
Battery life on all Androids is affected by what work you do with the phone.
As one member Posted, he managed to use $30.00 prepay in just over 24 hours because he had too many things working.
Heat will play a part in battery life - so keeping the phone cool (out of the sun/thigh pocket) will extend the life between charges and shutting down services you don't use will help.

Paul, further to my previous post about charge time - normal time using phone to AC connector. I bought a spare AC charger (Ex HongKong) through Ebay Au for $11.95 and it arrived by mail in 4 days!!!
When I charge either of the batteries with this unit, it takes between 4-5 hours to charge from about 10% to fully charged. The charger has indicator LED's and I just swap a fresh battery and put the other on charge and the phone is in use and not heating while charging. Cheers Neil.
 
@nu2andy
Rooting the phone just gives you access to the operating system, then its up to you what you do there.
"Battery life on all Androids is affected by what work you do with the phone." Correct, so JuiceDefender will turn off all unnecessary apps and control when they may make contact etc. Saving lots of battery. But turning down the CPU speed when just idling has saved me the most amount of battery. Its like taking you foot off the accelerator when stopped at the lights, sometimes you just dont need full power.
Yes you can speed up the phone with rooting even overclocking but that will increase battery consumption while you are using it.
Any way for me the unrooted JuiceDefender (just turning off all unnecessary apps) gave me and extra 6hrs but JuiceDefender on the rooted phone, (also allowing the CPU to be turned down while idle) extended the battery life to 5 days. So I'm happy.
 
Hi mikemp3, Thanks for your explanation to the term "rooting". All I've seen about rooting Androids in Forums is the owners desire to overclock the CPU and make the phone faster.
Wiki has also a similar explanation.
Just for the sake others may be interested in your info, can you explain in detail how you rooted the Ideos U8150 and the procedure to instal "juicedefender" and the care needed so that you don't "brick" the phone.
Did you use the free App or did you pay for the other version/s available?
Cheers Neil.
 
Check out this link to 'root' your phone:
How and Why to Root your Android: 15 Worthwhile Apps : To Root, or not to Root?

Before you begin rooting with SuperOneClick, here are a few things you need to do:

1.If installing SuperOneClick on Windows XP, make sure the .NET Framework v2.0 or above is installed.

2.Plug the phone into your computer via the USB

3.Install the Android drivers for your phone onto the Windows computer.

4.Enable USB Debugging mode on your Android: Tap Menu > Settings > Applications > Development. Then enable USB debugging.

5.Verify that your SD card is not mounted: Tap Menu > SD Card & Phone Storage, and (if available) tap Unmount SD Card. It may take a few minutes for the card to dismount

When everything above is done and the phone is still connected to the computer
Run superoneclick.exe
Click root
wait for the program to tell you every things rooted (that's a good thing) you then have to reboot the phone.

You could install CPU tuner (free from the android market) as TomsGuide suggests or use JuiceDefender Ultimate like I did.

I use JuiceDefender Ultimate and dropped the CPU idle speed right down (this made the biggest difference to battery consumption) Check out my unscientific table below.

Huawei U8150 IDEOS
U8150 straight out of the box lasts 30 hrs
U8150 plus JuiceDefender Ultimate lasts 35hrs (installed but on non rooted phone with many tweaks made)
U8150 rooted plus JuiceDefender Ultimate lasts 120 hours (installed on rooted phone with same tweaks as above, but I reduced the CPU idle speed)
(when just receiving / sending maybe 20 texts and a few calls per day)

Hope this all makes sense
 
Back
Top Bottom