• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery use whilst turned off

I am on 4.04 and pretty pleased with the battery life (eventually). However, just recently I have noticed the battery level dropping overnight whilst it is turned off. Presumably it is not using batter whilst turned off but just reporting a different % when turned back on. Its usually around 10-15% less. any one else seeing this. Any way to fix it?

Thanks

R.

Presumably, when you say, "turned off", you mean powered off and not just going into Sleep mode with the phone on and the screen off as this will still be using battery power as if the phone were awake but minus the screen. Even when powered off the phone uses a very small amount of juice whilst waiting to be powered on.

As often happens with new Firmware, the battery fuel gauge can be thrown out of whack for awhile. You can re-calibrate your battery by using the following steps and allowing it a few cycles of charging...

http://androidforums.com/galaxy-s2-...538-dont-bother-calibrating-your-battery.html

Well I've done the calibration and given it some time but it still does it. Was at 22% when powered off (completely) last night and at 8% on wake this morning. I wonder if its something to do with the stats / reporting that are refreshed and more accurate on boot that revises things downwards. I will wait for it to get down again and then power off and on again to see if the length of time it is off has an impact. I can't imagine anything can be using power when it is powered right off though.

R.

MY HTC Desire did this. It would drain the battery in around 6 hours, even when completely turned off. This eliminated it being a software problem. After a week I gave up on it and purchased the S2. A few days later the Desire fixed itself. My wife now has it and is very happy with it.

With my Desire, I suspect what happened was it got wet. I do a bit of geocaching and had the Desire in my pocket in the rain. It didn't get water directly on it, but it was in a wet pocket of my very soggy coat.

MY HTC Desire did this. It would drain the battery in around 6 hours, even when completely turned off. This eliminated it being a software problem. After a week I gave up on it and purchased the S2. A few days later the Desire fixed itself. My wife now has it and is very happy with it.

With my Desire, I suspect what happened was it got wet. I do a bit of geocaching and had the Desire in my pocket in the rain. It didn't get water directly on it, but it was in a wet pocket of my very soggy coat.

its never been wet and has been pampered since new :D I think I'll see what a factory reset does when JB arrives. It seem like reporting is not accurate. It goes down very slowly from 100% to below 40 and then drops a lot if restarted.

well, it gets weirder

last night after about 1 day, 2hrs on battery it was at 42% (which is about normal for me - 25% every 12 hrs) so I thought I would reboot to see what happened. Immediately on reboot I got battery low warning and level was at 9%. Left it for a while and noticed it had gone up to 12%! Left it overnight and it is now at 25%!

Usage graph is fairly steady downward trend if I ignore the sudden drop on reboot and subsequent crawl back up. Seems to confirm to me that there is some kind of reporting problem at reboot rather than anything using the battery whilst the phone is turned off.

Screenshot_2012-11-09-08-50-04.png

Back
Top Bottom