• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Before you install that first custom rom

parag1dubey

Android Enthusiast
Hi all,
While I am fairly new here and to the android world as well, I have, within the short span of time that I have had my beloved S2, flashed the following custom roms on it:

Supernexus JB rom
Resurrection Remix
Rootbox
MIUI
cMIUI (JB)
Neatrom Lite
JellyBam
Sensation 4.1

So,7 roms later, I believe I am qualified to write this thread for those newer than me to this wonderful Android Universe (or is it a Multiverse??) .

My purpose in writing this thread is to give you a sort of preview of what lies ahead after rooting. There are several threads here, written by those who are far better equipped to write them than me. But this thread is from the point of view of someone who has just crossed that barrier in front of you (pre-root and post root).
You will find no technical jargon in this thread (I dont know any ;) ). I am merely listing what you stand to gain and what you stand to lose when you flash that jelly bean custom rom on your GS2.

So here goes:

Advantages of Jelly Bean:
1) Fast
2) Good animations
3) Google Now
4) Good Battery Life with Dorimanx or Siyah Kernel
5) Icons are slightly better than ICS
6) T9 dialling in most JB roms.

Disadvantages:
1) CM10 Bugs on most JB roms
2) Google now is not very useful at least at the moment and it causes battery drain since you have to keep Location Services On in order to use it.
3) Some App notifications misbehave (twitter is case in point) in that notifications may not be timely.
4)Camera, gallery etc are unstable on some Roms (Resurrection Remix 3.1.2) You will sometimes get the "Gallery has stopped working" message while clicking pictures (This happened to me during friends wedding, no less. I came back from there and did a full wipe of the guilty Rom :mad: )

This is not meant to discourage you from trying out JB roms. It is merely a list of pitfalls which hopefully you can avoid.

You can try out a JB rom like Slimbean (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1846227 or Supernexus (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1810042). I suggest these two because they are quite light 86MB and 125MB respectively. They can potentially give you good battery life with the right kernel and the right settings. And then, if you find that JB is not for you, you can try out Neatrom Lite (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1569686) which is an ICS rom. It is smoother than any of the JB roms I have tried. It is a highly stable and very popular rom and used by most of the experienced (read old, wrinkled, decrepit) members of our forum. :D If you find that JB roms are not to your liking, this is your safest bet. It is highly customizable, with various mods available. You can use all the popular launchers on it. There might be other roms which are better but its up to you to find out. And then you can comment on this and tell me all about it.
As i said earlier, this is a post for those less experienced than even me so that you don't have to install hundreds of JB roms to find out what its like.

If I can help even one member with this longwinded and meandering piece of drivel I have written, I will count this as a useful exercise on my part. If not, well, words are wind... :)

I've been contemplating lately about rooting and flashing and your post is very timely, well written and informative. The splashes of humour are also appreciated. Thank you!

I am glad I could be of help mate. All the best to you. Rooting will help you get the most out of your device. Thats just my opinion though. Ultimately you will have to make up your own mind. :)

I'm glad I rooted, tried many jb and ics roms also...

I loved Google now and neat Rom, so I just put Google now on my ics neat Rom! Supernexus was my favourite jb Rom, found it smooth and decent on battery life with siyah.

The mods and smoothness are the reasons I went back to neat Rom...

Back
Top Bottom