• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Before you Root!!!!! Read this.....Important!

Rafael

Android Enthusiast
Glad to update this post!........ 2.3.3 can now be rooted....see below.

Those about to root your Commando need to be aware:

You may not be able to get an Android OS update in the future if you root!

Those of us who rooted and removed any apps have not beeen able to successfully update to version 2.3.3.
At this time there is no update available for us. It is possible we may never be able to get an update again.

The current state of updates is:
1-If you are running 2.3.3, you CAN NOW root.
2-If you are running 2.2.1, you can root.
3-If you root and remove apps you will not be able to update in the future.
4-If you root and only "freeze" apps using Titanium, you should be able to get future updates(a few users have reported that this is true).

The good news is that ver. 2.2.1 is quite functional. I have yet to hear of any major improvement to the phone when going to 2.3.3. I have heard of issues of battery life, inability to root, and being loaded down with bloat.

Ver. 2.2.1 rooted and stripped of bloatware is quite functional and does everything I need the phone to do. Its responsive, has good battery life, and is quite stable. I rarely have any FCs. This has been my personal experience, YMMV.

If I had known this before, I probably would not have rooted. Of course the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

The information was posted in various places weeks ago, but this is the first time we have posted it as a thread topic.

I tried that, and I know many others did as well. No go.
All of our attempts are documented in the "2.3.3" and "update" type threads.

Only those who stuck to freezing, or no change at all; were able to update.

What if you unroot and do a factory reset? I had to do that to send my first commando back for a new one. I over tested the toughness.... but yeah Verizon replaced it under warranty.

Been done. No dice.

call and tell them your phone sensors aren't working. they'll walk you through a factory reset, and have you try using apps that use the sensors. tell them they still don't work. then they'll send you a refurbished phone. Oh, you have to throw it at the wall as hard as you can so that the sensors in the phone really don't work. lol

Back
Top Bottom