• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Benefit of updating firmware

sharksfan7

Android Enthusiast
I have one of the Froyo-shipped Inspires that is still running fine for me after two years. I used the AAHK to root & s-off, have flashed several different ROMs, radios & kernels until I found a setup that worked for me and have pretty much left it alone ever since. Now I see threads about the AAHK no longer supported, firmware updates and having to flash boot.img separately when flashing ROMs.

I'm still on the same HBOOT that I've had since using AAHK (0.25.0024). I've flashed a few different radios but right now I'm on 26.17.14.11_M. Everything works fine & runs smooth. So I'm wondering, what benefit would I gain by running the latest RUU to update firmware? What exactly gets updated?

There are still updates for the firmware, even though it has long since been discontinued?

Here is where I am at. The Update button for AT&T does not work for me. (I fear it might be due to part of the discontinuation, or the fact that I currently do not have service with them.)

5YJ1ir2.png

There are still updates for the firmware, even though it has long since been discontinued?

Here is where I am at. The Update button for AT&T does not work for me. (I fear it might be due to part of the discontinuation, or the fact that I currently do not have service with them.)

Well, the updates came a while back. I just never bothered with them since I'm running custom ROMs anyway. But I'm pretty sure official updates brought it to Android 2.3.5, Sense 3 and a newer radio than what you're currently running. There was also an updated bootloader that allows for it to be unlocked through HTCDev, which isn't updated with a simple custom ROM flash. Perhaps other things as well that I'm not aware of.

In your case, you could probably run the latest RUU to update it. But for me I'm running an ICS ROM w/ a custom kernel and have it dialed in as best as I would expect. So unless I'd get a significant performance boost, I'd rather not mess with it.

Well, the updates came a while back. I just never bothered with them since I'm running custom ROMs anyway. But I'm pretty sure official updates brought it to Android 2.3.5, Sense 3 and a newer radio than what you're currently running. There was also an updated bootloader that allows for it to be unlocked through HTCDev, which isn't updated with a simple custom ROM flash. Perhaps other things as well that I'm not aware of.

In your case, you could probably run the latest RUU to update it. But for me I'm running an ICS ROM w/ a custom kernel and have it dialed in as best as I would expect. So unless I'd get a significant performance boost, I'd rather not mess with it.
Hmm, something tells me that the previous owner failed to update when he had the chance.

I tried using the one off of AT&T's site, I continue to get Error 155. Is there another way of updating this, or am I using the wrong RUU?

I also wonder if it's due to this.
http://androidforums.com/desire-hd-...-how-unlock-install-recovery-root-htcdev.html

Hmm, something tells me that the previous owner failed to update when he had the chance.

I tried using the one off of AT&T's site, I continue to get Error 155. Is there another way of updating this, or am I using the wrong RUU?

I also wonder if it's due to this.
http://androidforums.com/desire-hd-...-how-unlock-install-recovery-root-htcdev.html

error 155 is typically fixed by simply starting the phone in fastboot rather than the booted OS.

if you are s on,you will need to relock the bootloader before you can run the ruu(that usually will give you error 99).

if youre s off,you do not need to relock.

im of the opinion that newer is better. even if there are no perceivable differences,the newer radio,hboot,etc. should make data and calls more stable,stronger,etc.

on the other hand,if your happy with yout phones performance,no need to fix what aint broke :p

error 155 is typically fixed by simply starting the phone in fastboot rather than the booted OS.

if you are s on,you will need to relock the bootloader before you can run the ruu(that usually will give you error 99).

if youre s off,you do not need to relock.

im of the opinion that newer is better. even if there are no perceivable differences,the newer radio,hboot,etc. should make data and calls more stable,stronger,etc.

on the other hand,if your happy with yout phones performance,no need to fix what aint broke :p
I love your humor. I was tempted to bother you over Private Messaging about this issue, while the phone's decommissioned and will no longer be used, *possibly* I would like to upgrade it to the furthest I can reach, before I take it apart and learn how it was built.

I followed your directions to the letter in this thread but did not go further after obtaining Root, *Which was originally what I wanted so I could remove the insufferable third party bloat* so, I believe I have to go back and undo what I just did?

That is going to be interesting, as I have NO idea how to lock the boot.
sad.gif

on the other hand,if your happy with yout phones performance,no need to fix what aint broke

Okay. So I found a post on xda that suggests the updated HBOOT changes the size of the system partition to accommodate Sense3, as well as other stuff I didn't really understand. So I figure, what the hell, let's give it a shot. But I don't want to run the RUU just to update HBOOT and found this post that explains how to update it using a PD98IMG.zip w/o affecting the ROM currently on my phone, http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=20878302&postcount=3.

I downloaded the RUU from htc.com (htc_inspire4g_att_RUU_3.20.502.52_US.exe) and grabbed the rom.zip. I extracted the files from rom.zip and deleted everything except radio.img, hboot_7230_Ace_2.00.0030_20120220.nb0 and android-info.txt. I then created a PD98IMG.zip with just those 3 files.

But before I move that to my sd card, can you confirm that this method actually works? I can update HBOOT from within HBOOT? There were no follow-up posts in that thread so I don't know if someone tried it and whether or not it was successful. I'd just like to see someone else in the know say, "Yup, that works" or "Woah, you need to flash the entire package".

That post also says I need to go into Recovery and format cache after updating. I'm running 4EXT Recovery. There is no option to format cache, just wipe it. There is the option to format all partitions (except sdcard). But that would defeat the purpose of flashing just the HBOOT & radio. Is just wiping cache good enough? I guess I could make a nandroid before updating, then format all partitions and restore. But I'd prefer not to go through all that if it can be avoided.

It also says I won't lose S-OFF. So if I'm still S-OFF after updating HBOOT, does that mean I don't have to unlock this bootloader through HTCDev?

And lastly, what's the potential of bricking the device with this process? I've always read if you can get into HBOOT, you're not bricked and should be able to recover. But if I'm messing with HBOOT and something goes wrong, am I pretty much dead in the water? Or is there a way to recover from that too? Because if there's not, I'm not going to bother with this at all.

Sorry for the long post. Just want to be clear on all this before I proceed and I appreciate your input.

I love your humor. I was tempted to bother you over Private Messaging about this issue, while the phone's decommissioned and will no longer be used, *possibly* I would like to upgrade it to the furthest I can reach, before I take it apart and learn how it was built.

I followed your directions to the letter in this thread, but did not go further after obtaining Root, *Which was originally what I wanted so I could remove the insufferable third party bloat* so, I believe I have to go back and undo what I just did?

That is going to be interesting, as I have NO idea how to lock the boot.
sad.gif

i would personally follow the guide to become s-off,supercid. you do this from your current htcdev unlocked state.

http://androidforums.com/desire-hd-...-s-off-simunlock-supercid-inspire-4g-dhd.html

Okay. So I found a post on xda that suggests the updated HBOOT changes the size of the system partition to accommodate Sense3, as well as other stuff I didn't really understand. So I figure, what the hell, let's give it a shot. But I don't want to run the RUU just to update HBOOT and found this post that explains how to update it using a PD98IMG.zip w/o affecting the ROM currently on my phone, http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=20878302&postcount=3.

I downloaded the RUU from htc.com (htc_inspire4g_att_RUU_3.20.502.52_US.exe) and grabbed the rom.zip. I extracted the files from rom.zip and deleted everything except radio.img, hboot_7230_Ace_2.00.0030_20120220.nb0 and android-info.txt. I then created a PD98IMG.zip with just those 3 files.

But before I move that to my sd card, can you confirm that this method actually works? I can update HBOOT from within HBOOT? There were no follow-up posts in that thread so I don't know if someone tried it and whether or not it was successful. I'd just like to see someone else in the know say, "Yup, that works" or "Woah, you need to flash the entire package".
yes. it actually works,hboot will update itself. youll stay on the old hboot version while your in bootloader,then install completes when you reboot. next time you go to bootloader it will be the new one.

if your flashing your zip via the cmd window and ruu mode,you may get a "failed!hboot preupdate please flush again immediately" error,wich is normal when updating hboot via this method. imply flash your zip again,and it will complete.

That post also says I need to go into Recovery and format cache after updating. I'm running 4EXT Recovery. There is no option to format cache, just wipe it. There is the option to format all partitions (except sdcard). But that would defeat the purpose of flashing just the HBOOT & radio. Is just wiping cache good enough? I guess I could make a nandroid before updating, then format all partitions and restore. But I'd prefer not to go through all that if it can be avoided.
wipe is fine. wipe and format are basically the same thing.

It also says I won't lose S-OFF. So if I'm still S-OFF after updating HBOOT, does that mean I don't have to unlock this bootloader through HTCDev?
correct. you can stay locked if you want to. however unlocking does let you use a couple more fastboot commands:
fastboot flash
and
fastboot boot
both of wich can be used for recovery and boot images

And lastly, what's the potential of bricking the device with this process? I've always read if you can get into HBOOT, you're not bricked and should be able to recover. But if I'm messing with HBOOT and something goes wrong, am I pretty much dead in the water? Or is there a way to recover from that too? Because if there's not, I'm not going to bother with this at all.

Sorry for the long post. Just want to be clear on all this before I proceed and I appreciate your input.
messing with the bootloader always carries a certain amount of risk. as long as your cautious,you should be fine.

double check the md5 sum of the image in your zip file. i get:
hboot_7230_Ace_2.00.0030_20120220.nb0 adf7b03e85066d30f801f005bdfb79eb

if you get the same,we can be pretty sure your zip is safe to flash.

if you wish to upload it and send me a link,i can check it out/flash it and make sure its safe.

you are right to be cautious,as a bad boot loader flash will leave you unrecoverably bricked :eek:

Thanks, Scotty! This is exactly the clear & concise answer I always hope to but rarely get when I post my bloated & verbose questions on a forum.

I checked the md5 of my file with the checksum you provided and they do match. Since you offered to test my zip, I'll absolutely take you up on that. Here's the link to the file I put together.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wgyj45uazi295gr/PD98IMG.zip

On a related note, when making a PD98IMG.zip, does it matter what compression method/level I use? I've always erred on the side of caution and just used Store, but I've only made zips to flash splash screens.

BTW, could you also tell me what version of radio this RUU provides? Thanks again Scotty. I really appreciate your help.

i would personally follow the guide to become s-off,supercid. you do this from your current htcdev unlocked state.

http://androidforums.com/desire-hd-...-s-off-simunlock-supercid-inspire-4g-dhd.html

messing with the bootloader always carries a certain amount of risk. as long as your cautious,you should be fine.

double check the md5 sum of the image in your zip file. i get:
hboot_7230_Ace_2.00.0030_20120220.nb0 adf7b03e85066d30f801f005bdfb79eb

if you get the same,we can be pretty sure your zip is safe to flash.

if you wish to upload it and send me a link,i can check it out/flash it and make sure its safe.

you are right to be cautious,as a bad boot loader flash will leave you unrecoverably bricked :eek:
Like clockwork, thank you scotty85 for the follow up.

3tRf8GD.png
9ghiPbj.png

http://androidforums.com/desire-hd-...stall-recovery-root-htcdev-3.html#post6154561
http://androidforums.com/desire-hd-...ck-supercid-inspire-4g-dhd-4.html#post6154572

I know I have already posted it once, but I must again.
pquA3KR.jpg

Thank you to you as well sharksfan7.

My question now lingers, what shall I do now? Completed the last step using the first option for recovery and radio, installed the last RUU from AT&T, and just finished re-rooting.

Thanks, Scotty! This is exactly the clear & concise answer I always hope to but rarely get when I post my bloated & verbose questions on a forum.

I checked the md5 of my file with the checksum you provided and they do match. Since you offered to test my zip, I'll absolutely take you up on that. Here's the link to the file I put together.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wgyj45uazi295gr/PD98IMG.zip

On a related note, when making a PD98IMG.zip, does it matter what compression method/level I use? I've always erred on the side of caution and just used Store, but I've only made zips to flash splash screens.

BTW, could you also tell me what version of radio this RUU provides? Thanks again Scotty. I really appreciate your help.

sorry for the late replys,been a busy couple days :o

just downloaded your zip,if you havent flashed it yet,ill take a look and get back to you first thing ifn i dont get a change tonite(got some family stuff i the am,so prolly shouldnt stay up too late)

Like clockwork, thank you scotty85 for the follow up.

3tRf8GD.png
9ghiPbj.png

http://androidforums.com/desire-hd-...stall-recovery-root-htcdev-3.html#post6154561
http://androidforums.com/desire-hd-...ck-supercid-inspire-4g-dhd-4.html#post6154572

I know I have already posted it once, but I must again.
pquA3KR.jpg

Thank you to you as well sharksfan7.

My question now lingers, what shall I do now? Completed the last step using the first option for recovery and radio, installed the last RUU from AT&T, and just finished re-rooting.

technically youre done if you want to be :) but if you wanted to,you could do any number of things from running root apps,to deleting bload to trying some custom roms. :cool:

just downloaded your zip,if you havent flashed it yet,ill take a look and get back to you first thing ifn i dont get a change tonite(got some family stuff i the am,so prolly shouldnt stay up too late)

Thanks, Scotty. No rush on testing it. I'm house-sitting for the week so I'll be away from my primary computer. So I'm not going to tinker with the phone until I get back. But would appreciate if you can verify if it works.

Thanks, Scotty. No rush on testing it. I'm house-sitting for the week so I'll be away from my primary computer. So I'm not going to tinker with the phone until I get back. But would appreciate if you can verify if it works.

congrats,it flashed just fine. :) holler if you have any further questions!

technically youre done if you want to be :) but if you wanted to,you could do any number of things from running root apps,to deleting bload to trying some custom roms. :cool:
Awesome.

Now, to sit and wait for some money to save up so I can take it apart and rebuild it. I am tempted to try a ROM, but I would like to fix a few critical issues, such as the volume buttons not working and the vibration being out.

Thank you once again, scotty85 and sharksfan7.

congrats,it flashed just fine. :) holler if you have any further questions!

I finally had the chance to flash the HBOOT & radio and all went well. The radio is the same one I already had installed. I'm wondering now about unlocking the bootloader. Since I'm already S-OFF, have a custom recovery & ROM, can I still use the HTCDev process to unlock? All the instructions I see assume a fully stock device. The HTC Easy Unlock Bootloader Tool on xda says not to use if you have a custom recovery and/or ROM. So what's the most effective way to unlock the bootloader?

Also, I was reading some articles about the limitations of an unlocked bootloader and was wondering if I lost any functionality with this updated HBOOT. Since I am S-OFF, I can still flash a ROM w/o having to flash the boot.img separately, right? Is there anything that I cannot do now that I was able to do before? I guess I should've asked that before I flashed it, but oh well.

I finally had the chance to flash the HBOOT & radio and all went well. The radio is the same one I already had installed. I'm wondering now about unlocking the bootloader. Since I'm already S-OFF, have a custom recovery & ROM, can I still use the HTCDev process to unlock? All the instructions I see assume a fully stock device. The HTC Easy Unlock Bootloader Tool on xda says not to use if you have a custom recovery and/or ROM. So what's the most effective way to unlock the bootloader?

Also, I was reading some articles about the limitations of an unlocked bootloader and was wondering if I lost any functionality with this updated HBOOT. Since I am S-OFF, I can still flash a ROM w/o having to flash the boot.img separately, right? Is there anything that I cannot do now that I was able to do before? I guess I should've asked that before I flashed it, but oh well.

you can still unlock the bootloader with a custom recovery,when the phone resets it will take you there instead of doign a factory reset after you unlock. i would haowever recomend doing it manually and not using a tool.

you will lose functionality over an eng hboot,but thats true of any ship hboot. you are not losing anything over any other ship hboot. you are gaining the use of a couple fastboot commands,wich is nice.if you unlock the bootloader, you now have limted use of fastboot boot and fastboot flash (tho not all partitions)

rom flashing will not chenge for you with s off. seperate boot image flashing is only for s on.

sorry for the quick answer,im on my way to work,let me know if you need more details on anything :)

you can still unlock the bootloader with a custom recovery,when the phone resets it will take you there instead of doign a factory reset after you unlock. i would haowever recomend doing it manually and not using a tool.

Are you saying that it won't automatically wipe my phone with the custom recovery installed? Do I need to wipe it manually in order for the unlock process to complete? Or can I just reboot from Recovery at that point and have unlocked bootloader & my current ROM setup and data not be touched? Obviously I'll create a nandroid right before I unlock just in case, but it would be nice knowing beforehand if I'll need it.

Also, when you say to do it manually and not use a tool, you mean doing it through process on HTCDev.com, right? It doesn't have the Inspire 4G on the list of supported devices. Should I select the Desire HD since they are essentially the same phone, or should I select "All Other Supported Models"?

Are you saying that it won't automatically wipe my phone with the custom recovery installed? Do I need to wipe it manually in order for the unlock process to complete? Or can I just reboot from Recovery at that point and have unlocked bootloader & my current ROM setup and data not be touched? Obviously I'll create a nandroid right before I unlock just in case, but it would be nice knowing beforehand if I'll need it.

Also, when you say to do it manually and not use a tool, you mean doing it through process on HTCDev.com, right? It doesn't have the Inspire 4G on the list of supported devices. Should I select the Desire HD since they are essentially the same phone, or should I select "All Other Supported Models"?

correct. when you unlock the bootloader,youll wind up on your recovery screen,where you can simply reboot. no need to wipe it manually. the wipe is a security feature,and nothing to do with theunlock process. may want to make a nandroid anyway,tho... just to be safe :)

yes,go thru the process at htcdev.com,not run someones bootloader unlock tool. the inspire is located in the DHD list,as att us,or something to that affect,but chosing other supported models will work as well.

correct. when you unlock the bootloader,youll wind up on your recovery screen,where you can simply reboot. no need to wipe it manually. the wipe is a security feature,and nothing to do with theunlock process. may want to make a nandroid anyway,tho... just to be safe :)

yes,go thru the process at htcdev.com,not run someones bootloader unlock tool. the inspire is located in the DHD list,as att us,or something to that affect,but chosing other supported models will work as well.

Thanks, Scotty. Successfully unlocked my bootloader using the HTCDev site. However, it did in fact wipe my phone. When I selected "Yes" to unlock & hit power, the phone restarted to a different bootanimation than the one I normally use and stayed there for a few minutes. Was thinking this was part of the unlocking process until the ROM loaded in a clean state. So I just powered off, booted to HBOOT & verified it was unlocked, went to Recovery and restored the nandroid. All good.

Doubt all this tweaking will have a noticeable effect on the phone, but at least I learned something.

Thanks, Scotty. Successfully unlocked my bootloader using the HTCDev site. However, it did in fact wipe my phone. When I selected "Yes" to unlock & hit power, the phone restarted to a different bootanimation than the one I normally use and stayed there for a few minutes. Was thinking this was part of the unlocking process until the ROM loaded in a clean state. So I just powered off, booted to HBOOT & verified it was unlocked, went to Recovery and restored the nandroid. All good.

Doubt all this tweaking will have a noticeable effect on the phone, but at least I learned something.

yikes! sorry bout that. the bootloader must still be able to manipulate your custom recovery,somehow. thats not typically what happens. :o

good thing you made a backup :cool:

Back
Top Bottom