• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best anti-theft app

One word to match all your needs and then some: Cerberus

Be wary of applications that turn-off data services (Juice Defender etc.) as you need to be able to contact your device from any web browser as needed to take pictures, video, display messages, etc.. But even if data is turned off, you can remote-control the phone via SM text messages.

You can track your phone and notify police of its whereabouts, look at SMS messages that have been sent/received, view the phone log, "wipe" the device, etc. Removing it from the app drawer (via the web page) and manually deleting the icon from the desktop, while maintaining the app even after the wipe, ...

Well, that was more than one word and I haven't even begun to describe the security capabilities of the app. :)

Reactions: andrews317
Upvote 0
One word to match all your needs and then some: Cerberus

Be wary of applications that turn-off data services (Juice Defender etc.) as you need to be able to contact your device from any web browser as needed to take pictures, video, display messages, etc.. But even if data is turned off, you can remote-control the phone via SM text messages.

You can track your phone and notify police of its whereabouts, look at SMS messages that have been sent/received, view the phone log, "wipe" the device, etc. Removing it from the app drawer (via the web page) and manually deleting the icon from the desktop, while maintaining the app even after the wipe, ...

Well, that was more than one word and I haven't even begun to describe the security capabilities of the app. :)

Thanks, it's seems pretty good and has good comments, but my main requirement is to disable power button so thief can't turn it off.

Upvote 0
Thanks, it's seems pretty good and has good comments, but my main requirement is to disable power button so thief can't turn it off.

Well, that's an interesting requirement; might it cause a complete battery drawdown unless the thief has a suitable charger?

My intention in the event of theft is to minimally enable "emergency mode" and "start tracking" so that information can be collected whenever the phone is turned on, and then optionally view the SMS and call logs and perhaps take a picture from either lens.

I use a pattern screen lock that is engaged after 15 minutes of inactivity or when the phone is powered on, and using the wrong pattern sends a picture to whatever email address I configured. Sometimes I get a picture of myself when my hands are cold and I'm fumbling. :)

Reactions: andrews317
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Have a read of this: Epic story involving smartphone thief and the Android user who got his Galaxy Note back

I had a play with Cerberus based on that article and bought it an hour later. I rarely have my phone/tab out of sight, but its handy to know I have something that powerful installed just in case someone does get their hands on one of my devices.

I've been using Cerberus for almost a year on 5 phones, and the one time I used it to locate a phone, it was my son's phone, and it was still in our own house.

For my phone, it's also rarely out of my sight, but I did use Cerberus for it once. I was using Secure Settings along with Tasker to lock my phone under certain conditions, and after an update I was unable to unlock my phone - it wouldn't accept the unlock code. After a few minutes of head scratching I remembered that I could unlock it remotely using Cerberus. Problem solved!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones