• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best free antivirus app that doesn't hog resources?

FirebirdStud

Android Enthusiast
Sep 19, 2010
Minnesota
Hey all,

With the recent virus infection of Apple computers (*snickers* hehe) Im thinking now is a good time to install an antivirus app on my phone. So, which one?

I want it to be free
I dont want a battery hog of an app
Resource use must not be extreme
Must be fully un-installable

I know these are some specific needs, but if you use something that doesn't fit all the requirements, let me know what it is and why you continue to use it.

I want to know which one people have found to the best so far.

Thanks guys and gals!

I use to use Lookout but it uses about 40MB of resources at all times.
When you should do is this, when ever you download an app Google Play tells you what this app is asking for permission to use. Read it, if some of the permission sound fishy either don't add it or download Lookout and then download it to see if it is risky.

And then periodically download Lookout or AVG and run a scan on your device then uninstall it. AVG I think does use less of the processor then Lookout.

I think the only parts of these apps that are going to be hard to get rid of is the phone tracking parts of the Apps. For instance to get AVG's phone tracker you i think you have to get another part of the app. And it is intensionally hard to get rid of because they don't want the person who steals your phone an easy way to get rid of the tracker.

Submitted by an Macbook user.

Upvote 0
The best antivirus is to not install random apps from non-reputable sources (ie, only use real markets such as play, amazon, etc) and to be careful with permissions. That takes 0 resources on your phone.

EDIT - Lookout or any other AV app is not going to protect you from an app with bad permissions. It could be stealing your contact data, etc all day and lookout won't say a thing. If you are wary of an apps permissions, simply don't install it. Most of the time there is another app that will do what you want without the permissions.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones