• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best GS3 Case Yet!?

DanWindel

Hey Guys I didn't see a thread for favorite Galaxy S3 cases so I decided to go ahead and make one. If you have more than one feel free to post both. I am hoping this will be a good section for people shopping for cases to utilize.

So.....What is your favorite Case and why?

Mine is the BAK Case. I mainly like it because it feels super nice and can hold your credit cards so I never bring a wallet any more. I have to warn you they are a little expensive ($60) but I used a coupon code to get it for only $30. Not sure if they ended it or not but the code was "Galaxy".
BAK Cases | The Phone Wallet for Business Men

I also like the Otterbox Defender Series. Good for camping/exploring. Again a little pricey but heck my phone was expensive, might as well get something good!
OtterBox iPhone Cases | The #1 selling case for smartphones

Hi, I prefer vertical leather cases with a belt clip, very hard to find genuine leather cases with a clip. I use the Pdair vertical pouch case at the moment, good quality. Phil

I have a case on mine from Griffin. I forget the name of it exactly but its just like an otterbox but better protected. My wife dropped her S4 that was inside an otter box and the screen still cracked. I've dropped my S3 plenty of times and the case absorbs the shock. Its military grade or quality from what I've read. Look up the Griffin cases for S3. They beat an Otterbox anyday and are cheaper.

I have a hybrid case. I like the design. A complete soft cover goes on the phone, a rubber like material, then a hard shell goes on, leaving rubber uncovered for the corners and other impact points. And you can get most any style. Here is a black on black version that I have on my phone.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0PG0JY9415
That and a screen protector since day 1 have kept my phone in mint condition. I'm not saying it is the best, everyone thinks their own is the best, lol, but I haven't found anything else I want more. I am going to get a couple more with different color combos/decals.

I like those BAK cases linked above. They look like a long lasting case if you need or want that style. I would like it for when I wear a suit.

I've got to ask now. What makes a case have military specs? The website mentions nothing about it unless i overlooked it.

I've got to ask now. What makes a case have military specs? The website mentions nothing about it unless i overlooked it.

I'm thinking if it was possibly military tested and approved in the field. Overseas somewhere. I used to be in the U.S.Army and we used to get things to test out but that was a diff part of the Army. I didn't fall under regular army rules and specifications.

i bought an element eclipse case for my S3 because i wanted a kickstand and liked the noise blaster feature which channels the speaker sound to the front of the phone.

had it on for like 4 months then i finally took it off and my phone felt like a new phone.

i'll never put a case on a phone again. i just don't like them.

$65 for a phone case? I guess the economy is still doing good for some folks. With half a dozen illegitimate children spread across the country and a crack habit that would make Marion Barry jealous, (j/k) I gotta watch every penny so the day I bought my S3 at Radio Whack I walked across the parking lot to the 99c only store and lo and behold they did have a selection of those soft plastic jackets, I bought a grey, a purple and a bright pink one (the latter in case I had a problem finding my phone, hasn't been the case) and they fit well after a slight trim around the charge port. Bonus, they had screen protectors too for 99 cents!
Then I went home and fired up my trusty sewing machine and went through my supply of leather (I can buy pants at Goodwill for around $5, cut them up and use them for cases, seat covers, etc) and stitched up a little case with velcro closure, and sound venting in the ringer area. It's double thick with shiny side leather inside so the phone slides out with ease.
I think I have about $3 in the whole affair with both cases. The leather case ends up with sufficient cushion on the corners, and the soft plastic one alone has protected the phone well in several waist high drops onto asbestos tile over concrete floors.
(yes my friends will poke fun at a man with a sewing machine who knows how to use it. doesn't bother me a bit, it's just a tool, like my demolition hammer and 10 ton porta-power kit)

KICX0416_zps2b6d6f6e.jpg

KICX0425_zpsa8220f2d.jpg

KICX0422_zps7a68bffe.jpg

KICX0418_zps52e012a0.jpg

Also for the people that wanted to know if the code still worked for the BAK Case. I emailed them and they said they have deal for 50% off until the end of March. More info here Samsung Galaxy S3 — BAK Cases | The Phone Wallet for Business Men

That's pretty cool, when I saw this:

To accompany the soft plush leather we add a Shock Resistant Thermoplastic. The same kind used in Whitewater Rafting Canoes and Golf Club Heads. Plain and simple, this is a case that is going to last. Like a beautiful leather jacket or purse, it will break in with time and slowly become just as unique as you.

I realized I could have added that in the leather case above like I once did to a small binocular case I made. Cut up an old bleach bottle and put it between the layers of leather. "Whitewater Rafting Canoes and Golf Club Heads" certainly sounds more thrilling than "old bleach bottles you was just gonna throw away anyway" though.

For use with the stock battery, I went with the Otterbox Defender. The case has saved my phone several times.

I glanced through the thread and didn't see any mention of a case for the extended batteries. I use the Zerolemon 7000mAh battery and the Zerolemon Rugged case along with it. The Zerolemon Rugged case also provides great protection. I take it with me on camping trips and It has also saved my phone a few times. :D

Both cases come with holsters which are very similar.

Both cases come with a built-in screen protector. I removed them on both and started using the Tech Armor screen protectors. They are very well made and when you follow the video provided on their website, installation will be guaranteed bubble free. They come with a nice warranty also.

Just a bit off topic but a valuable tip: If you look at my picture above showing the back of the purple cover, you can make out a sticker on the back of the phone with printing on it. There is a similar one on the inside of the phone's battery compartment. They are labels I print with my brother p-touch label printer though you could always hand print on adhesive labels the same thing.
I've always put these on my phones, they say:
"If found, return to (my name, address and land line phone number) for cash reward".
Nobody I know ever does this, and the fact is most of the time when you lose your phone it is found soon by an honest person who just doesn't know who it belongs to or how to get it to them. The cash reward can be as little as $20, to merely offset the time it takes them to contact you. Well worth it to get my phone back.
I know some carriers will see you get your phone back if, say, a person brought it to a Sprint or T-Mobile store and gave it to them. However the carrier wouldn't give the finder a dime so many people might sit on it for a week if they took it back at all. During that week you're going to give up and just buy a new phone.
Most phones are screenlocked so a finder can't identify who it belonged to.
So I encourage people to attach under whatever cover you use a means for honest folks to effortlessly return it to you. A girl I made labels for and affixed to her phone has gotten it back twice when left at local retail stores- once in less than an hour.
Even in the worst case if it is stolen by some crackhead or tweeker lowlifes, it's finally becoming common knowledge in such circles that no matter how fancy the phone is they just stole, nobody with a brain will give them jack for it because it's worthless without a contract and if you sign a contract many phones are free.
So they just may relent and return it for that $20.

The whole thing is win-win.

Survivor with Belt Clip for Samsung Galaxy SIII | Griffin Technology

For half price at $25 that is a case I'd spend money on.

I have seen endless numbers of lifebox/lifeproof owners' reviews on various sites declaring the cases were entirely deficient at water protection after a few months of use, not just immersion but even splash and rain.
Seals became distorted and worn. It was suggested by some the culprit was counterfeits (Amazon reviews mentioned this as some sellers may have been shipping just that) but other reviewers stated straight up they bought mfr direct.

It should be said almost any product claimed to be waterproof really isn't, at least for immersion- if you need that you had better have bought it at a diver's supply shop. I had a Casio Gshock Digital Camera like that, probably was waterproof but rather not find out for sure. (for my use I was more impressed at its 7 ft drop to concrete rating, ingenious design completely isolated the camera inside from the outer shell with an elastomer liner you could see through the lens window)

I was howling at several Amazon reviews when I went to write one for my camera- a few owners had bought them,. took em straight home and dove in the pool or put them in their aquariums just to find out for sure.

Casio did not refund their money BTW.

This is appealing on a number of levels:
Newegg.com - PC Waterproof Shockproof Dirt Snow Proof Case Cover For Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300

A2V5_130396942997113141CB0Pzc7G93.jpg

A2V5_130396952020406551OMP4M9x2fW.jpg

New Waterproof Shockproof Dirt Snow Proof Case Cover For Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300
Feature:
1.Protection: Protects against everyday hazards
2.Freedom: Ability to swim and take underwater or anywhere
3.Beauty: Ultra-slim and adds only 1/16" (1.5mm) when measured from the center of the phone
4.Full Functionality: Double AR-coated optical glass lenses provide unprecedented crystal-clear photo and video quality
5.It offers seven layers of protection.
6.Waterproof vents on all mics and speakers
7.Anti-reflective optical glass lens
8.Waterproof and dirt-proof seals on case and port
9.Scratch-resistant, waterproof screen protector
10.Polycarbonate frame
11.Non-stick cover
12.Shock-absorbing elastomer
13.Compatible with: Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300

Mainly:

Adds just 1/16" to the size of the phone.
Elastomer shock protection
Real optical glass! At $10.74, hell many screen protectors cost more. Give up plastic scratch prone protectors and just replace the case when the glass scratches.

That waterproof thing is questionable if you look closely. Still.....

Reviews were on the seller not the product. Anyone try one?

This is appealing on a number of levels:
Newegg.com - PC Waterproof Shockproof Dirt Snow Proof Case Cover For Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300

A2V5_130396942997113141CB0Pzc7G93.jpg

A2V5_130396952020406551OMP4M9x2fW.jpg

New Waterproof Shockproof Dirt Snow Proof Case Cover For Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300
Feature:
1.Protection: Protects against everyday hazards
2.Freedom: Ability to swim and take underwater or anywhere
3.Beauty: Ultra-slim and adds only 1/16" (1.5mm) when measured from the center of the phone
4.Full Functionality: Double AR-coated optical glass lenses provide unprecedented crystal-clear photo and video quality
5.It offers seven layers of protection.
6.Waterproof vents on all mics and speakers
7.Anti-reflective optical glass lens
8.Waterproof and dirt-proof seals on case and port
9.Scratch-resistant, waterproof screen protector
10.Polycarbonate frame
11.Non-stick cover
12.Shock-absorbing elastomer
13.Compatible with: Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300

Mainly:

Adds just 1/16" to the size of the phone.
Elastomer shock protection
Real optical glass! At $10.74, hell many screen protectors cost more. Give up plastic scratch prone protectors and just replace the case when the glass scratches.

That waterproof thing is questionable if you look closely. Still.....

Reviews were on the seller not the product. Anyone try one?

Because that's for the i9300, would it fit the Sprint variant of S3, the L710?

Survivor with Belt Clip for Samsung Galaxy SIII | Griffin Technology

For half price at $25 that is a case I'd spend money on.

I have seen endless numbers of lifebox/lifeproof owners' reviews on various sites declaring the cases were entirely deficient at water protection after a few months of use, not just immersion but even splash and rain.
Seals became distorted and worn. It was suggested by some the culprit was counterfeits (Amazon reviews mentioned this as some sellers may have been shipping just that) but other reviewers stated straight up they bought mfr direct.

It should be said almost any product claimed to be waterproof really isn't, at least for immersion- if you need that you had better have bought it at a diver's supply shop. I had a Casio Gshock Digital Camera like that, probably was waterproof but rather not find out for sure. (for my use I was more impressed at its 7 ft drop to concrete rating, ingenious design completely isolated the camera inside from the outer shell with an elastomer liner you could see through the lens window)

I was howling at several Amazon reviews when I went to write one for my camera- a few owners had bought them,. took em straight home and dove in the pool or put them in their aquariums just to find out for sure.

Casio did not refund their money BTW.

I use to have a Griffin waterproof case on my S3. Dropped it in water several times over time and it never let water in. It was completely waterproof.

I noticed that the BAK case was mentioned...I have had one for over a year now, and I am pleased to say that I absolutely love it! I am in sales..and it looks great from a professional standpoint! It is sleek, has real leather on the back, and overall looks and feels great and was a great purchase for me!

However, I do like the otterbox defender and this griffin case everyone keeps talking about...im a big camper/climber, so that would be much better probably in those situations..but the new S5 is supposed to be water & dust proof!! So maybe I wont need those for that! Looks like an awesome phone..cant wait!!

Id say though that the BAK case definitely surpassed my expectations and is probably the best quality case out there for the money...and it is GREAT if youre a professional that needs something more classy or are just lookin to add some style to your phone ;)

Back
Top Bottom