• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best way to deal with cracked screen?

jahunt78

Just wondering what is the best way to deal with my cracked screen? The phone is through metro pcs. I just got the phone and the one time I didn't have the case on I drop it. Not sure if I'm up to going it myself and not sure if asurion covers it,or have it repaired through Samsung any advice?

Assurion covers it but it would be like $130 and they will overnight it to you. :thumbup: I don't know ow about doing the repair yourself, I've heard it's not easy.

Unlucky mate :(
from what ive read on here, getting samsung to fix it is the best way to go. Is it just the outer part, the gorilla glass thats broken? Ive watched a youtube vid of a guy replacing that and it looks kinda messy but maybe worthwhile dependin on how handy and patient you are and how much samsung quote you. Wish i had a link to the vid. Good luck man :thumbup:

Is Asuron an insurance company btw? How much of a deductable do they charge?

Have also seen reports of others sending in to Samsung for the repair. Prices quoted anywhere from $85 to $130. Give them a call to get a firm price and then weigh the options. If you try it yourself, make sure what you get is NOT an LCD but AMOLED. Price on E-Bay are a bit expensive.

Have also seen reports of others sending in to Samsung for the repair. Prices quoted anywhere from $85 to $130. Give them a call to get a firm price and then weigh the options. If you try it yourself, make sure what you get is NOT an LCD but AMOLED. Price on E-Bay are a bit expensive.

I say let a pro deal with it- eve a couple hundred bucks is worth it in my opinion for it to be done right on a phone that will cost you at least twice that to replace.

Or, you could just deal with having broken glass as long as the phone still works- couldn't believe when I saw a study that claimed around a quarter of iPhone owners are using phones with cracked glass. I think it would bother me enough that I'd want it fixed...

Lol yeah. I actualy met my best mate's new girlfriend today n she has an iphone4 with the cracked spider-web screen lol. That would kill me on the s3! I prety much use my phone as a tablet and the display is the main thing i love about it :)
Im very poor though so me personaly, if i broke it, id use the cheapest way possible of fixing it :thumbup:

Thanks for the input I do have asurion and I guess it boils down to how much time I'll b with out my phone Samsung couple weeks and same phone, asurion quick turnover and used phone

Hmm.. think id go the samsung route then if u can afford it man. I Just read a thread from another dude who had his display replaced by sammy seemingly really fast :)

Buy a screen replacement on ebay for ~$20 shipped. Look at videos on youtube on how to replace the screen (there are many good ones). Spend an hour to replace it.

I did it a few weeks back at it was simple (and I'm not much of a DIYer).

Did u use a heat gun to remove the glass mate?
Op hasnt said if its just the glass or if the actual display is broken though. If my display panel broke, id definately replace it myself because its all a one piece unit. Id try n find someone selling a bricked s3 who doesnt realise that the display is the valuable part lol :)
Do u have a link to the best youtube vid for the OP and others who read this btw? :thumbup:

It's just the glass only reason I'm not sure about doing it myself its how messy it is and the leaving tiny pieces on the amoled

It's just the glass only reason I'm not sure about doing it myself its how messy it is and the leaving tiny pieces on the amoled

How much money would u save by doin it yourself mate? Thats how id judge weather its worth my time (man hours) and stress/risk involved ;)
Ps, think ive read of two people on this forum who had no touchscreen response after replacing the glass, im guessing they damaged the digitizer layer between outer glass and display but dont think either of them followed up to say what had caused the fault. Thats why i think id get samsung to replace the glass or if i broke the actual display, id buy the whole screen (outer glass, digitiser, display) as a unit n replace that :thumbup:

Did u use a heat gun to remove the glass mate?
Op hasnt said if its just the glass or if the actual display is broken though. If my display panel broke, id definately replace it myself because its all a one piece unit. Id try n find someone selling a bricked s3 who doesnt realise that the display is the valuable part lol :)
Do u have a link to the best youtube vid for the OP and others who read this btw? :thumbup:
I used a hair dryer - I don't have a heat gun. I honestly don't remember which video I used though.

Even though the glass was cracked (shattered), it still came off in one piece. It wasn't messy at all. Use tweezers and you won't have any issue.

How much money would u save by doin it yourself mate? Thats how id judge weather its worth my time (man hours) and stress/risk involved ;)
Ps, think ive read of two people on this forum who had no touchscreen response after replacing the glass, im guessing they damaged the digitizer layer between outer glass and display but dont think either of them followed up to say what had caused the fault. Thats why i think id get samsung to replace the glass or if i broke the actual display, id buy the whole screen (outer glass, digitiser, display) as a unit n replace that :thumbup:

I paid $20 for the new glass + 1 hour to swap the glass. I called about 10 places locally, and they wanted anywhere between $150-$300. Granted, those that wanted $300 said they had to change the digitizer as well - no thanks. Is my time worth saving $130? Yep!

Back
Top Bottom