• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best ways to compare 2 routers to each other.

ZepTepi

Android Enthusiast
My wife and I have gotten our WiFi through Cox Communications for the last 4 years, give or take, and we pay $83.99 per month for Cox Preferred Internet and an additional $13 per month for the router rental. When I recently upgraded to the S22 Ultra Verizon offered me a 30 day trial of their Verizon Internet Gateway which I can keep at $20 per month guaranteed for 1 year. My question is related to how I should compare the 2 of them to see if the Verizon equipment/service is better, the same, or worse than what I have with Cox.

Are there other things I should be checking besides speed tests and signal strength?

Zep

My wife and I have gotten our WiFi through Cox Communications for the last 4 years, give or take, and we pay $83.99 per month for Cox Preferred Internet and an additional $13 per month for the router rental. When I recently upgraded to the S22 Ultra Verizon offered me a 30 day trial of their Verizon Internet Gateway which I can keep at $20 per month guaranteed for 1 year. My question is related to how I should compare the 2 of them to see if the Verizon equipment/service is better, the same, or worse than what I have with Cox.

Are there other things I should be checking besides speed tests and signal strength?

Zep

Those are probably the best things, latency might something to check as well. Maybe look at reviews of their quality of service, and standards of their customer service. I'm not in the US, and so never had any experience of these providers myself.

I have tried the Verizon internet service and found it to be great, no problems at all.
Why on earth would you stay with Cox and pay soo much per month?
Thats just an insane price to pay for internet service.
$240 a year versus $1164....

you're better off in the long run on buying a decent router than pay a monthly fee for a crappy one. i find these rentals just suck. netgear is a good brand and they have good budget friendly ones as well as high end, super fast ones that cost a good chunk of change. but your speed will only be as good as your connection.....so sometime it is hard to just gauge by speed alone. also wifi will depend on how the signals bounce off the walls, pipes and other interferences.

Last edited:
you're better off in the long run on buying a decent router than pay a monthly fee for a crappy one. i find these rentals just suck. netgear is a good brand and they have good budget friendly ones as well as high end, super fast ones that cost a good chunk of change. but your speed will only be as good as your connection.....so sometime it is hard to just gauge by speed alone. also wifi will depend on how the signals bounce off the walls, pipes and other interferences.
Yeah my family has netgear in this house, and nothing is bouncing off except for a few trees, just a clear sky most of the time. Depending on weather, nothing brand new of the router, it has been so many years since we had troubles with it.

Back
Top Bottom