• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Window AC Unit with Heat Pump?

Rob

Galaxy S20 Ultra
News Moderator
Administrator
I had an overhead Mini-Split AC unit in a long and narrow section of my house that crapped out. The HVAC company quoted me $3k to replace it, which seems reasonable, but I'm not convinced I even need the mini-split. They installed a window unit for now, which seems to be working fine, and they agreed that buying a window unit that does AC & Heat would probably be the cheaper and easier solution.

So I started hunting Amazon for options and found this:

The room is narrow and only 300/400 square feet. There's a deep window that's perfectly positioned for a window unit to blow through the room. I think I only need a unit with about 8,000 BTU, but a limited number of units have heating capabilities.

Then I read the reviews: "Cannot be used as a primary heating unit. Will not work if outside temperature gets below 41 degrees."

That's a deal breaker! I lucked out finding it buried in the reviews. Is that typical of window AC units? Anyone have experience with these that can recommend a specific product?

I also worry that my electric bill will increase drastically and in hindsight wish I would have replaced the minisplit.

Hmm... what to do?

I have always heard that window units are not known for their efficiency. I wouldn't think it would be a drastic increase in your bill but I'd expect an increase. Doing a quick Google on window unit heat pumps, it seems they don't work well below 25°F. Some high end models perform down to 5°F. I would want to know their power consumption when they are working that hard.

it seems they don't work well below 25°F. Some high end models perform down to 5°F.
I couldn't find any that have an actual heat pump and that specifically mention outdoor temps (aside from that 41 degree unit). 25 would probably suffice and 5 would definitely do the trick but I don't want to take any chances.

Just replace the mini split. Unless you live in the hood, don't nobody want a window unit in their neighborhood. They look tacky.
The property is in a historic neighborhood and this window overlooks a shared back alley that is used for trash bins and a truck loading zone, so nobody is worried about the appearance.

All that being said, I'm leaning towards just replacing the mini-split, but I'm shocked that a product doesn't exist that is marketed towards these specific needs (window unit for 4 season AC/Heat full-time).

Back
Top Bottom