• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Better Apps when you Pay For 'em??

kevinamt

Lurker
Dec 5, 2008
:thinking: So, I was wondering, everyone seems to keep saying "Wait for the Paid apps, that's when the good ones will come out!" Are we sure this is going to happen? I just have a feeling we are in for a letdown... I sure hope not... I love gettin on my buddies Iphone and looking at all the cool, useful and even the unuseful but cool apps in Appstore... Maybe just paranoid that I have been talking up this phone and OS, on faith alone, to everyone I know and it's possible that it could crash and burn... Just a thought, what do you guys think?

Thats just it. Android isn't just one phone, or one line of phones (like the iPhone), its a system that ANY phone and ANY carrier can support with no cost to them. Right now its hard to see that with just the one phone (G1) out now, but wait a year and there will be a a half dozen phones at all different levels from free to high end all running the same system and having access to the same apps. In short Google is capitalizing in the same way windows 95 did with the PC market. Only this time its mobile.

Upvote 0
Thats just it. Android isn't just one phone, or one line of phones (like the iPhone), its a system that ANY phone and ANY carrier can support with no cost to them. Right now its hard to see that with just the one phone (G1) out now, but wait a year and there will be a a half dozen phones at all different levels from free to high end all running the same system and having access to the same apps. In short Google is capitalizing in the same way windows 95 did with the PC market. Only this time its mobile.
Well put.
I think we will see lots of good apps pop up once the payment system is put into place (sometime in January). But remember, the iPhone developers have had a huuuuge head start with developing apps. Eventually, android apps will FAR surpass those of iPhone.

Upvote 0
It's a similar situation when Symbian/S60/UIQ first hit handsets. I was an early adopter then and have always had a Symbian s60 handset. Initially it was like ooh ahh etc but then you felt ok where is this going to go? And look at them now, still developing but a huge range of features and applications available.

It does take time and Android has a lot more competition than when those mentioned above first launched. but hopefully it won't take them as launch to really get a foothold in the market and for more feature rich applications to hit the market.

A caveat on that though is whether they open up the storage, I keep saying it but limit it to the handset memory and there will be too many restrictions and could hinder Android becoming a strong contender.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones