• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

better camera app?

gale65

Android Enthusiast
I have camera zoom and have always liked it but on the N5 it sometimes opens up super overexposed, and I have to reboot my phone to get it back to normal. I tried the stock google camera but I like the feature on camera zoom where I can just touch where I want my focus and it will focus and then take the pic. I don't want to have to take it by touching to focus first and then touching on the side like the camera app requires. Is there another good camera app that works well on the N5?

correction: even after a reboot it's taking very overexposed pics and also when I turned it on I got a flashing green screen. Had to to close the app and reopen it.

Could try Focal by Team BBQ.

It's still in Beta, and has had one or two issues but I checked the last release and it seems to work OK. The interface is nice and clean and it seems to take quick picture.

You can engage "Tap anywhere to shoot" mode by double tapping anywhere in view.

The new Google Camera is very stable. I'm enjoying it very much.

Me too. I can't believe the fuss people make because the view finder isn't full screen or whatever. You can now frame your pictures correctly instead of having to guess what would be cropped.

Pictures seem to take quickly and they are largely in focus which was my main problem. I'm no photographer but it was infuriating to miss good shots of my son playing - that thankfully has been fixed.

I still keep Focal on my phone to look occasionally where the development goes, but I'm not using it.

I like the Google camera also but cant get the photo in video to work. Its seems all that's required is to tap the screen while recording video but not working.
Whats the trick?

Thanks everyone. Camera zoom is still being very inconsistent (the way it looks in the viewfinder is rarely how the picture turns out) but I really don't want the double step of tapping to focus and then taking tapping to take the pic that the google camera seems to require. I'll try the others mentioned.

I like the Google camera also but cant get the photo in video to work. Its seems all that's required is to tap the screen while recording video but not working.
Whats the trick?

They apparently took that option out along with scenes and white balance settings.

There is a new version (v2.1.042) of the Google Camera app.
They have added back the snapshot feature while recording a video and fixed the bug where the focus ring would disappear after using the lens blur function.
So far it seems a little more stable and faster than the previous version. :thumb:

As usual the update is being released in a staged rolled out... So it's not quite yet available in the PlayStore, but the update has been mirrored on Dev-Host. Dev-Host - Google Camera 2.1.042.apk - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

I've done some extensive testing with the camera app, and I'm very disappointed with the N5 using the default Google camera app. I have the same app on the N4, and it focuses WAY faster and WAY more accurately on the N4. I thought maybe the N5 I'm using was defective, but have seen tons of people saying the same thing online. I am shocked.

Back