• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bln unlocked I9020 gingerbead 2.3.6?

This are my specs just got phone, is there a way I can get bln working with my phone without rooting it? I did some searching on xda developers, and I think I'm OK, but I'm not sure. I do believe installing the kernel update or whatever good mess up my handset, so I just want to be sure everything is good first.

If you're wondering what I'm talking about, bln is back light notifications, which is basically that the capacitive buttons on handsets without led's such as the nexus s, work as notification led's

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Yes you need to root ,and you need a rom with BLN support ,you could try CyanogenMod7 - nightly #255 [more stable than latest stable release]

Root is one of the requirements to get BLN to work. The other requirement, which it sounds like you've discovered, is a kernel that supports BLN.

Root and the kernel are the main requirements. You don't necessarily need a BLN ROM.

In fact, it's possible to get BLN working without the need to wipe any data (assuming your bootloader is already unlocked).

I've always preferred stock Android on my device, but I like the benefits of rooting as well as all the goodies custom ROMs include. I simply flash a custom kernel designed for stock Android (I recommend Matr1x, Netarchy, or GLaDOS kernels) on top of my stock (but rooted) ROM. I get to keep all of my installed apps and settings and whatnot since there's no need to do a wipe.

Of course there's always occasions where kernels don't play nice with my current settings, in which case it's always wise to have a nandroid backup handy.

Dang I really don't want to root my phone.

Anyone know of any other workarounds to get visual notifications?

I don't even mind if it means something like turning on my screen every 5 minutes. What actually would be really cool is if my notification bar appeared when k receive a notification, but is not functional until phone is awake. Or unlocked but I have widget locker so my notifications bar works on unlock screen.

Dang I really don't want to root my phone.

Anyone know of any other workarounds to get visual notifications?

I don't even mind if it means something like turning on my screen every 5 minutes. What actually would be really cool is if my notification bar appeared when k receive a notification, but is not functional until phone is awake. Or unlocked but I have widget locker so my notifications bar works on unlock screen.

NoLED does a pretty decent job (Link: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.led.notify). It's only worth it if you have the SAMOLED version of the Nexus S, though (AKA not the I9023). It takes advantage of the fact that OLED screens draw essentially zero power when displaying black pixels.

It'll use more power than the BLN mods, but only by a little bit. You can give it a try, and if it uses too much power for your liking, you can always uninstall it.

Back
Top Bottom