• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Bloat bloat bloat!

nyg010

Android Enthusiast
IS there ANY option to remove bloat ware from touch wiz without rooting? PLEASE LET THERE BE A WAY!!! someone?

I'll respond to this (and your PM) as soon as I get the chance to get to a computer. :)

Could you pm me the same info (or copy me)? I'm still stock, but have been looking at xda and rootzwiki. Need some courage to take the plunge! Thanks in advance.

Kelmar,

Hey I'd appreciate the advice you're sharing with the others. I just got my Samsung Charge 2 weeks ago and there's at least a dozen different apps I want to get rid of. Damn Verizon...

Thanks buddy!

Yeap.

Will do it as soon as I can guys... the forums have been FLOODED with spam the past few days so all my time online has been dedicated to cleaning :(

This was my first time rooting - and to start with I just went for the kernel and skipped the ROM part. I know - may sound crazy, but just wanted the speed and lack of lag to begin with.

This guide makes it VERY easy - read every direction very carefully and follow it to a T and it works great! The only confusion I had was when installing the kernel. When you select "install zip from sd card" you get a screen with a blue banana - you have to press the power button 1 more time to select.

Otherwise it's easy breezy!

[HOW-TO] Get a rooted version of EE4 - xda-developers

Hey guys, so heres the update...I went ahead and rooted and installed Altered Beast, quite amazing! Snappy and sooo much faster than I normally had, I know benchmark scores are pretty much garbage but I've been getting 1450+ scores.

Anyway, I still want gingerbread because the themes on altered beast is pissing me off, it is utterly hideous (especially the status bar)! I'm waiting for a response from Kelmar and he should be getting back to me/us soon. Thank you again for all your help Kelmar major thanks points!!

Hey guys, so heres the update...I went ahead and rooted and installed Altered Beast, quite amazing! Snappy and sooo much faster than I normally had, I know benchmark scores are pretty much garbage but I've been getting 1450+ scores.

Anyway, I still want gingerbread because the themes on altered beast is pissing me off, it is utterly hideous (especially the status bar)! I'm waiting for a response from Kelmar and he should be getting back to me/us soon. Thank you again for all your help Kelmar major thanks points!!

Curious if you have the insurance? I know rooting negates it. I just picked my Charge up today, and would like to do what I can to get the best performance, and extend the battery life, but not sure if I want to negate my insurance coverage.

I have charged my battery at least twice today....

@ all above - Let me know if any specific questions, but here is a great tutorial to rooting (and getting GB)

HOW TO: Flash ROMs with Odin3 v1.82, tailored to GB 2.3.4 - xda-developers

Curious if you have the insurance? I know rooting negates it. I just picked my Charge up today, and would like to do what I can to get the best performance, and extend the battery life, but not sure if I want to negate my insurance coverage.

I don't ever buy insurance on my phones (never used or needed it over 13+ years of cell phones). If I break it, I'll buy a new one :)

Technically it voids your warranty, but it IS possible to return to 100% stock unless you mess something up pretty bad.

@ all above - Let me know if any specific questions, but here is a great tutorial to rooting (and getting GB)

HOW TO: Flash ROMs with Odin3 v1.82, tailored to GB 2.3.4 - xda-developers

I don't ever buy insurance on my phones (never used or needed it over 13+ years of cell phones). If I break it, I'll buy a new one :)

Technically it voids your warranty, but it IS possible to return to 100% stock unless you mess something up pretty bad.
Thank you! I really want to root my device, but was afraid to nullify the insurance. No biggie if all settings can be restored.:D

It's not without risks and you CAN brick your phone (make it useless). But be careful and ask lots of questions.

It's not without risks and you CAN brick your phone (make it useless). But be careful and ask lots of questions.
I'm a little leery.......mainly because I have no idea what questions to ask! Thanks for the link. Anything in particular I should know/do, etc should I decide to root? I really would like to remove the tons of bloatware on the phone.

LOL, thanks. I have been researching, reading, etc nonstop the last week or so to make a decision on which device to get. Hope I made the right choice. We'll see I suppose. Now to figure this thing out and research some more!:eek:

Yeah... I tried flashing a Froyo .tar with the GB Odin and soft bricked it... and soft bricked in my pants too. Luckily I tried the 1.7 and it worked like a charm.

Rooting will only give you a problem if you create an issue and then try and get it warrantied.. It voids warranty... It doesn't effect insurance? Your deductible is about 90 dollars regardless of breakage or if it's lost or stolen.. If you damage your phone.. Don't mention what you did, just say it's been lost and they'll send you another one for the price of your deductible. I friggen hate all the Verizon bloatware!! I've never rooted before but I have flashed a rom and didn't find it to difficult.... but if I try and I fail and I can't revert back to stock.. That's exactly what I'll do and my moral compass won't be effected... This bloatware is ridiculous and its the biggest reason I want to root.. You can't even delete their friggen bookmarks! I blame Verizon for having to go through all this nonsense

Back
Top Bottom