• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Bluetooth earpiece keeps disconnecting

I have a Plantronics M25 Bluetooth earpiece and it keeps disconnecting and reconnecting at random times. Has anybody else had problems with Bluetooth on this phone?

It may be the way you're using it. A Class 3 device (which a headset is - very low power because it's operating very close to your brain) has very limited ability to punch through something that absorbs signal. If you have the headset in your right ear and the phone in your left front pants pocket, with the Bluetooth antenna pointing to your rear (or left ear, right pocket), you're pushing the range. (The human body is a good shield at 2.4GHz for really weak signals.) Move just a bit and you lose the signal, move a little differently and you get it back. I can get about 25 feet if the phone and headset can see each other, but going through my entire body, ear to hip, sometimes fails.

And it's not the phone. I've had it with some phones and not with others. In fact, I've had it with some phones and not with others of the same model from the same shipment. (I used to own a cellphone store.) When you're talking about a digital radio system operating just about at its limit, you don't get the warning you get on an analog system - more and more static as he signal gets worse. You get the entire noise-free signal or you get nothing (it cuts out).

You can't alter the laws of physics to meet the needs of man.

Back
Top Bottom