• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Bluetooth Voice Dialing?

erisuser1

Android Expert
I'm a newb when it comes to Bluetooth; tonight I borrowed a Moto HS850 and tried it with two ROMs on my Eris:

- HTC/VZW stock 2.1 pre- July OTA (= leak-V3)
- Tazz Froyo CM6 2.0

Results:

No problems pairing or connecting, answering, disconnecting, or last-number redialing.

I could NOT initiate voice dialing at all on the stock 2.1 ROM, and on the CM6 Froyo ROM, the headset could initiate the voice dialer, but it appears that no voice input was being transferred to the voice dialer.

So, I guess I have two questions:

- are all the Froyo CM6 ROMs essentially the same when it comes to Bluetooth capabilities and bugs?

- ignoring cases of gross interoperability problems (can't pair/can't connect), are the results obtained highly sensitive to the brand and model of the paired BT device?

eu1

The last that I tried voice dialing with Kaos Froyo V35.1, it would listen (not always accurately) and set itself to dial the call - but it required actually touching a button on the display to confirm the call. That's not what I would want, if I was needing to make calls using a BT headset/speaker.

However, I do remember seeing this: Bluetooth issue fixed with 09SEP-VoiceDialer.apk - xda-developers

(BTW, I have a Moto T305.)

I too am new to bluetooth so I've not followed the BT threads much. But I do remember seeing threads where the user finally got a particular (rather expensive, as I recall) headset to work. Therefore I believe you're correct that brand and model of headset weigh heavily here.

I've recently started using BT in my car and it voice dials fine there. However I THINK it's actually the car doing the dialing by sending the touch tone tones to the phone. I base that on
1) I know the car has downloaded the phonebook from my phone.
2) I hear the touch tones through the car stereo, but if I call the same person from the phone book in my phone I don't hear tones.
This is true on both 2.1 and 2.2 ROMs.

The last that I tried voice dialing with Kaos Froyo V35.1, it would listen (not always accurately) and set itself to dial the call - but it required actually touching a button on the display to confirm the call. That's not what I would want, if I was needing to make calls using a BT headset/speaker.

However, I do remember seeing this: Bluetooth issue fixed with 09SEP-VoiceDialer.apk - xda-developers

(BTW, I have a Moto T305.)

Thanks. I gave that 09Sep .apk a shot - it works exactly as it is described in the XDA thread.

It prompts you for voice input, which is nice... but it automatjically dials any match it makes without asking for confirmation. Seems like the VR job it did matching what I say is worse than just using the phone directly. (I'm pretty sure that is strictly due to the quality of the voice signal passed across the BT link, not a software issue.)

I guess I just need to experiment a little with equipment - I have a wired headset which is impossible to use when there is road noise present (in particular if a window is cracked open), in addition to not being hands-free. It seems to pick up a lot of high-frequency noise that the Google VR algorithms can't handle.

Back
Top Bottom