• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bluetooth Voice Dialing

sidsub

Lurker
This is my first phone since I started getting Bluetooth headsets (about 5 years or so) that doesn't have a built-in voice dialer. I have Vlingo and Jeannie and have tried voice dialing through both those apps...

Both work well, but one thing I noticed is that with these apps, the voice recognition and the response from the app do not use the Bluetooth connection to my headset. Instead, the phone is listening on the built-in mic and responding through the phone's speaker. This could be very annoying in my noisy car... is there a way to set up voice dialing that actually listens and responds through the headset? I don't mind having to press a button to activate the voice dialing, but I want it to listen to me on the headset.

Is there a different app or a setting on the phone that will let me do this?

I did a live chat directly with Samsung technical support. I quoted the PCMag.com review (Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket SGH-I727 (AT&T) Review & Rating | PCMag.com) that also mentions the bluetooth omission.

Samsung insists that bluetooth voice dial is enabled on the skyrocket. They told me to contact their dedicated Galaxy S phones voice support team at 1-877-EZ2GALAXY (1-877-392-4252) with further questions. They are available 24/7.

I was planning to buy a skyrocket over the next couple weeks, but will be sure to test drive this feature first.

This is my first phone since I started getting Bluetooth headsets (about 5 years or so) that doesn't have a built-in voice dialer. I have Vlingo and Jeannie and have tried voice dialing through both those apps...

Both work well, but one thing I noticed is that with these apps, the voice recognition and the response from the app do not use the Bluetooth connection to my headset. Instead, the phone is listening on the built-in mic and responding through the phone's speaker. This could be very annoying in my noisy car... is there a way to set up voice dialing that actually listens and responds through the headset? I don't mind having to press a button to activate the voice dialing, but I want it to listen to me on the headset.

I just bought a Motorola HX550 Bluetooth headset. I use Vlingo on the phone and the Vlingo "inCar" option. Voice dialing seems to work fine through the headset. As time goes by I will test it under different situation to see what other voice command functionality it has but everything seems to be working fine so far. I have seen many different reviews from people about bluetooth devices and the SR and the HX550 seems to have few or no issues.

I have the same problem. Once the connection is made, the call switches to my headset. But the initial listening and response/confirmation come from the phone. Not helpful if I'm in a noisy room or if I've walked away from the phone. I have both a Galaxy S, which works perfectly, and a Galaxy S2, which does not. I asked the carrier, they said call Samsung. Samsung says there's nothing they can suggest - no setting to change. That's just the way it is. I'll be returning the S2.

Hello,

I am a Rogers customer up in Canada who had the same problem. I almost took my phone back in frustration due to this problem. But as a last resort, I tried the Cyberon Voice Commander App, based on a review that said it would work with the S2 LTE/Skyrocket.

To my amazement, after installing the app, turning on and off the phone, and re-pairing, it worked great. I have now tried this with two different BT speakerphones and it works flawlessly with both - even when the phone is idling.

Drive safe and enjoy your phone people.

I would recommend vlingo for this phone. I have tried many other apps and this seems to be the best. You can use voice commands for texting, launching apps and even social status updates including Facebook and Foursquare.

I found an App called "Hands-Free Voice Dialer" that does the trick. It opens with my WEP200 headset on one button push and speaks to me over the headset. The voice on the app is difficult to understand but you can say "open voice search" then use the Google voice search to perform your command over the headset...works awesome!!

Back
Top Bottom