• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Boost Mobile] ODIN Backup for --> SPH-L710_MG2

Yup triangleaway works fine with our phone... You do want to use triangle away to reset the counter and triangle in case you ever need warranty with Samsung...

Now if you don't mind that triangle and counter in download mode, which is the only place you will see the triangle, then have fun with you phone and try new things... Samsung makes great phones for people that like to modify n flash.

Thanks for the info on Triangle Away, Smith. It may come in handy one day. :)

As for Samsung making great phones for people who like to modify n flash, Amen to that bro! I own 2 Samsung phones and love them both.

Samsung having the almighty ODIN has helped save my butt many, many times when I was learning with my 1st Android phone, the Prevail.

Apparently in /Settings/About device/Status/ the value of "Device status" at the bottom of the list is listed as "Modified". So to get warranty service you will have to reflash stock and then also run Triangle Away, and then do a factory reset which should eliminate Triangle Away from your dalvik cache (I think that will work) Triangle Away can be downloaded for free at its official page:

[2013.10.04][ROOT] TriangleAway v3.10 - xda-developers

Based on this information I don't think I have any need to run Triangle Away right now.

If you were to run T.A. right now it would actually make it say "normal"... There is really no need for you to run it unless you were taking it to a boost shop or sending it in to Samsung... Or if you just wanted it to look clean to yourself .
And of course if you wanted to unroot

Mine says Normal. I am running MOAR 6.. Never used Triangle Away, but it sounds like a good tool The only problem is, once you are bricked, it sounds like it might be too late to run it.

I looked at Download Mode and I think it said 6. I guess TA would reset that to 0.

Mine says Normal. I am running MOAR 6.. Never used Triangle Away, but it sounds like a good tool The only problem is, once you are bricked, it sounds like it might be too late to run it.

I looked at Download Mode and I think it said 6. I guess TA would reset that to 0.

Well we now have a way to fix a non responsive download mode... But if you did brick it and can't fix it then Samsung would never know because they would not be able to get on download mode either.

Well we now have a way to fix a non responsive download mode... But if you did brick it and can't fix it then Samsung would never know because they would not be able to get on download mode either.

You are absolutely correct. I know a few people over in the Prevail section who truly bricked their phone. No download mode or anything. Samsung couldn't get into it either so they just replaced the hardware and sent it back. Lol :D

Hi all... I noticed it's been over two weeks since the last post here on this thread. @smith058 Were you able to figure out a solution and repack the odin file with the MG2 baseband? If not do you think I could just simply use the voodoo app and accept the ota update? Because it keeps prompting me. Please let me know. Thanks in advance. :)

Edit: I am rooted with the MD7 stock build btw.

I am sorry to say, but I have not even attempted or given it any time yet. Sorry guys ...

However this is how to change it without Odin...

========= TO UPDATE BASEBAND (UNTIL I REPACK ODIN WITH IT) ===========

to update baseband:

- download [root] adbd Insecure read the description for a link to get it free
- from the app enable insecure adbd
- now you got to use adb.... or you can use Terminal Emulator
----- here is a simplified adb
----- unzip
----- connect your phone
----- click on cmd.exe
----- type: adb shell
----- type: su
- backup what you got type:
[HIGH]dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 of=/mnt/extSdCard/modem.bin[/HIGH]
- from your sdcard move the new file "modem.bin" to a safe place on your computer...
- then download modem_MG2.7z
- Extract the 7-Zip file
- move the modem.bin to your sdcard
- then push it to you phone type:
[HIGH]dd if=/mnt/extSdCard/modem.bin of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1[/HIGH]-reboot

good luck

Thank you for pointing us to this smith058...but do you think if I just simply use voodoo root keeper and accept the ota update that would work too or no? Thanks in advance

Maybe... I was able to keep root through the OTA update, I had both voodoo root keeper as well as superSU pro with keep root option checked... So I don't know if it was one or the other or both that did the trick... Voodoo claims it does not work on s or s2....

Maybe... I was able to keep root through the OTA update, I had both voodoo root keeper as well as superSU pro with keep root option checked... So I don't know if it was one or the other or both that did the trick... Voodoo claims it does not work on s or s2....

Oh ok...well I guess I'll get superSU first and then proceed. Worth a shot I guess lol. The worst that could happen is I'll just lose root and have to reroot all over again... no biggie. :D Thanks for all your help bro.

Or if it do loose root, you can flash the mg2 Odin with root... You're stock now so you won't need to factory reset or nothing.,,.. Would just have to install superSU and recovery

Or if it do loose root, you can flash the mg2 Odin with root... You're stock now so you won't need to factory reset or nothing.,,.. Would just have to install superSU and recovery

Ok thanks... I have just one other question. About superSU, it says in the description that u can't simply uninstall it if u don't like it for some reason and there are things you have to do first before you uninstall it or it will mess some things up. So what steps have to be taken before I can safely uninstall it? Also can I simply freeze superuser with tb instead of uninstalling it if I keep superSU?

TO REMOVE ROOT:
i suggest running triangle away before you unroot
install SuperSU
Grant root permission
open SuperSU
goto settings
scroll all the way down
press "Full unroot"
after it reboots you will be unrooted

Not if I want to unroot...I meant if I was just simply dissatisfied with superSU and wanted to revert back to superuser. Also has all the bugs been worked out of the mg2 Odin with root? Because I read some were having issues after flashing.

SuperSU is better... You won't want to switch back... But yes you can, just follow instructions for installing superuser ....

No issues other than its missing baseband, which you will get from OTA.... You can probably flash root from recovery like you did from the get go.

Hey to whomever is still online, because I know smith058 is offline now...I wanted to know if the ota update will remove cwm and restore stock recovery even if I use voodoo root keeper and superSU to protect root? Can anyone tell me if so or not? Thanks

Oh hey smith058, I see you're back on...can you answer that last question from my previous post for me please? I'm sorry if I'm being a pest lol. Thanks

did you check about device - baseband version - L710VPAMG2 ?
and did root work after installing superSU ?

Smith can you post a Baseband for BoostMobile galaxy S3 that i can flash via ODIN? I did the ODIN MG2 back up but i need the baseband. I dont know much aboutthis so with ODIN it might make it easy

Smith can you post a Baseband for BoostMobile galaxy S3 that i can flash via ODIN? I did the ODIN MG2 back up but i need the baseband. I dont know much aboutthis so with ODIN it might make it easy

Odin keeps failing with the file I have... I will update it with baseband included but I'm when, until then follow the steps in the op to flash baseband.

Odin keeps failing with the file I have... I will update it with baseband included but I'm when, until then follow the steps in the op to flash baseband.

Are you able to do just the Baseband so we can flash just that file through ODIN...??

Back
Top Bottom