• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Boost Mobile] question on kernel

Snake X

Android Expert
As my great quest continues on porting ics to this messy phone (talking about code :p), I am trying to gather more info on different components and everything. I feel like I need to know a bit more about kernels at this point and how to port them and the inner workings of it. I was told a kernel port is necessary "because a lot of important deep system things changed". Such as what though? I'm also confused at if I need to know any programming language to do this kinda work (That won't be the hard part here). What kind of things need to be modified and where's the kernel even stored at on the phone anyways? One more thing, in which order starting from first to last are these processes: init.rc, bootloader, kernel (I'm not sure mainly about either the bootloader or the kernel in regards to which comes first)

Thank you guys so much for your efforts.. next ill ask a bout the bootloader :p

snake, I am no expert by any means, but I found these articles helpful in understanding the boot process:

Android Booting - eLinux.org

Android boot process - BootLoader

Linux Programming - BootLoader

I am not a programmer or developer, but was looking into how the boot process works just because I was curious. Best of luck, I am following your progress and appreciate your sincere interest and drive to learn, hopefully some of the people with experience can take you under their wings.

I think im doing good by not using tools like the kitchen lol
It gives me more experience if I do it the real way :p

Back
Top Bottom