• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root boot animation

Maybe it's me but why does it matter what animation the phone shows while it's booting?

It is kinda like asking "Why do people dye their hair?" or "Why do people have different wallpapers on their computers?" It's just so each person can modify what they've got to suit themselves. If you like it the way it is, That's okay too! We've got all kinds here. ^.^

Reactions: drtrek77 and KOLIO
Upvote 0
i downloaded the boot animation changer from the market, is it ok to use that to change my boot since i have no clue how to do it any other way and what would be the proper screen size to use
It's got a nice description of how to use the boot animator. It's pretty much step by step how to do almost everything you can do on the phone! Gotta love the forum techies here. Kinda brings a country song to mind. Instead of "I Love This Bar" It's "I Love This Forum"!

Upvote 0
It is kinda like asking "Why do people dye their hair?" or "Why do people have different wallpapers on their computers?" It's just so each person can modify what they've got to suit themselves. If you like it the way it is, That's okay too! We've got all kinds here. ^.^
I understand about wallpaper but how many people stare at their phone while it's booting?

Upvote 0
I understand about wallpaper but how many people stare at their phone while it's booting?

I've changed my boot animation and my shutdown image. Like it has already been said, it's about personal preference. (And given how long the ascend takes to boot, I think we all stare at our boot animations at least occasionally.) Without taking the case off my phone, there is no way of knowing I have Cricket service. I have no shame in having Cricket as my service provider. In fact, I think anyone in my position who isn't using Cricket is throwing money away and that's just plain stupid. I just don't advertise for anybody for free. If you want an endorsement from me, I want some sort of compensation.

Upvote 0
I've changed my boot animation and my shutdown image. Like it has already been said, it's about personal preference. (And given how long the ascend takes to boot, I think we all stare at our boot animations at least occasionally.) Without taking the case off my phone, there is no way of knowing I have Cricket service. I have no shame in having Cricket as my service provider. In fact, I think anyone in my position who isn't using Cricket is throwing money away and that's just plain stupid. I just don't advertise for anybody for free. If you want an endorsement from me, I want some sort of compensation.

You are totally not lying! The load time on this baby is the highest of any phone I've had. I don't have Cricket though, But I've got Metro Pcs. It's got the same comparable pricing for unlimited. ^^. I think anyone not using Cricket or Metro is crazy. Not only do you have to have a contract but, Even if you don't, You are still paying way too much with any other provider. Their prepaid crap total BS in my opinion. X.x

Reactions: r0ckstarr
Upvote 0
You are totally not lying! The load time on this baby is the highest of any phone I've had. I don't have Cricket though, But I've got Metro Pcs. It's got the same comparable pricing for unlimited. ^^. I think anyone not using Cricket or Metro is crazy. Not only do you have to have a contract but, Even if you don't, You are still paying way too much with any other provider. Their prepaid crap total BS in my opinion. X.x
Virgin mobile is $60 for unlimited everything, and they have the optimus and a samsung android.

Upvote 0

I spent 9yrs with Sprint. Nine years ago, my plan was only $35.00 a month. Over the years, they slowly increased the price a little at a time. All I could do with the phone/plan was make and take phone calls. No internet, no texting, nothing. And, I was limited to 300 minutes per month. Recently, they decided to up my bill to $63.00 a month from $59.00.

Customer Service was of no help getting the bill lowered. Their only suggestion was to go to an equally priced plan that gave me a limit of 450mins per month. I cancelled that day and went to the Cricket website and ordered my Ascend. Exactly 24hrs after I ordered it from the Cricket website, UPS arrived at my door with my new phone.

Why I didn't do this sooner is beyond me.

Reactions: Gmash
Upvote 0
I spent 9yrs with Sprint. Nine years ago, my plan was only $35.00 a month. Over the years, they slowly increased the price a little at a time. All I could do with the phone/plan was make and take phone calls. No internet, no texting, nothing. And, I was limited to 300 minutes per month. Recently, they decided to up my bill to $63.00 a month from $59.00.

Customer Service was of no help getting the bill lowered. Their only suggestion was to go to an equally priced plan that gave me a limit of 450mins per month. I cancelled that day and went to the Cricket website and ordered my Ascend. Exactly 24hrs after I ordered it from the Cricket website, UPS arrived at my door with my new phone.

Why I didn't do this sooner is beyond me.
To get my butt in gear. As soon as Verizon took over the market here, My calls were dropped non-stop. Plus I kept having multiple problems with the internet through my phone, Or I couldn't send text messages. They kept wanting me to sign a new contract with them. Of course their new contract was priced almost twice what my original one was (Which was already WAY past my budget of $100) Eventually I just swallowed up the cancellation fee and went to Metro Pcs.

Funny story: My boyfriend went to Ohio for a business trip right? He has Metro Pcs like I do. Well, The person who was his roommate in the hotel room had Verizon. Sure enough even though Metro Pcs was only in an "Extended home" area he still had 3 bars. The guy with Verizon kept borrowing HIS phone because there was NO bars on his phone. I called, The guy answered, I was like "Oh, Hi you must be the roommate" He was like "Yeah, F*** Verizon". I lol'ed. I should ask my boyfriend if that guy ditched his service...

Upvote 0
Does anyone have an answer for this,I also feel the job is only partially done.I also have numerous start-up animations,but, would like to finish the job & have a shutdown animation other than CRICKET/METRO PCS.
Any suggestions would be welcome! :)

I don't even recall seeing a screen. Then again I use the button. Click to turn phone off, Then yes. It just shuts off. Didn't know there was an actual "Shut off" screen. Hmm...

Upvote 0
Wait, i can change my shutdown.image? Tell me how.
I will have to look it up again. With Cricket, there's a moment when the Cricket logo appears just before it shuts off. It's just a single picture but you have to replace two files with the same image.

Bear with me, the Icarus mod doesn't have a shutdown image, so trying to remember or find where they were is proving rather difficult.

Maybe I was thinking of the bootanimation.zip that has to be replaced in two places. I don't remember. I tend to do things as I'm reading the instructions and don't save them anywhere for later reference.
Anyways; find an image that you want as your shutdown screen, the size I used was 240x320, name it power_off.png (I suppose it should either start as or be converted to an actual png image). Using Root Explorer (you must be rooted), go to /system/media/hw_image/power off and copy the original file there and save it to your computer (at least that's what I did, just in case things went wrong) then delete it and replace it with your own power_off.png file. The small thumbnail wont change but when you reboot it should start showing the new image the next time you shut down.

For some reason I'm still thinking there was another place I had to replace the png. Like in /data/local or something like that. Does anyone know if there's a search function with Root Explorer or anything else that you could use to search for power_off.png and find all instances of it?

Upvote 0
Some of us just dont like the stock stuff, just like on cars, most cars come with good stereos these days but ppl still go out n spend thousands so I have to hear their shyt miles b4 I ever can see them, if I ever see them at all, or feel their bass 100yds away!! ;)

Upvote 0
Some of us just dont like the stock stuff, just like on cars, most cars come with good stereos these days but ppl still go out n spend thousands so I have to hear their shyt miles b4 I ever can see them, if I ever see them at all, or feel their bass 100yds away!! ;)

have you tested changing the boot on cm7 yet? i want my android pissing on apple boot again. or the boot from cm6

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones