• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root bootanimations, how to?

3finger

havent found a thread yet that explains how to MAKE your own boot animation.. if someone could point me in the direction, id love to try my hand at it..

I dont think that tutorial will work as sumsung bootanimation extension is a .qmg. Basically its images of .jpg or .png compiled into a .qmg file. Ive searched hi and low and even searched for softwares I can use to create the .qmg extension and nothing as came up. Figuring out how to do the .qmg extension or a way around it would probably the way to go to creating your own bootanimation.

I'm not sure if that's the case for most samsung phones but in the case of a samsung transform ultra I make and use bootanimation.zips. They consist of a collection of images in png format in atleast 2 folders and a desc.txt file zipped up with no compression used (store option). Sound is added in the case of my phone by creating a .wav file and renaming it to poweron.snd and moving it into /system/etc.

On my phone qmg is used as the image file to show charging levels when the phone is powered off.

http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?t=508696

On transform where is the bootanimation.zip located and do you use a customize folder in system or data? I know it has the samsungloop in bin....but do you add a cleaner shell to the boot animations?

I'm not sure if that's the case for most samsung phones but in the case of a samsung transform ultra I make and use bootanimation.zips. They consist of a collection of images in png format in atleast 2 folders and a desc.txt file zipped up with no compression used (store option). Sound is added in the case of my phone by creating a .wav file and renaming it to poweron.snd and moving it into /system/etc.

On my phone qmg is used as the image file to show charging levels when the phone is powered off.

Boot animations by Loota - Android Forums

Yes the same way you did it, I have done it too except that instead of putting it in data/local I put it in system/media. I would replace the bootani.qmg in system/media with a bootani.zip and all it does is make the boot up screen go black. It can be replaced with another .qmg but I dont think .zips work. I changed permision and even owner on it but nothing. I hope someone figures it out soon as Id like to change my boot up with pictures of my wife and daughter and my own music on it.

Yes the same way you did it, I have done it too except that instead of putting it in data/local I put it in system/media. I would replace the bootani.qmg in system/media with a bootani.zip and all it does is make the boot up screen go black. It can be replaced with another .qmg but I dont think .zips work. I changed permision and even owner on it but nothing. I hope someone figures it out soon as Id like to change my boot up with pictures of my wife and daughter and my own music on it.

We already know how to change the power-on noise. We haven't experimented with too many qmg's though. If you can learn how to make a qmg, then you can learn how to make the bootani.qmg or so it would seem.

We already know how to change the power-on noise. We haven't experimented with too many qmg's though. If you can learn how to make a qmg, then you can learn how to make the bootani.qmg or so it would seem.

I searched everywhere on google about the .qmg and all Ive learned was that the qmg is something that samsung created. There no release on a way to hack it. I hope some genius person hacks it some day thou lol

I dont think that tutorial will work as sumsung bootanimation extension is a .qmg. Basically its images of .jpg or .png compiled into a .qmg file. Ive searched hi and low and even searched for softwares I can use to create the .qmg extension and nothing as came up. Figuring out how to do the .qmg extension or a way around it would probably the way to go to creating your own bootanimation.

Look below

I searched everywhere on google about the .qmg and all Ive learned was that the qmg is something that samsung created. There no release on a way to hack it. I hope some genius person hacks it some day thou lol

OK now that i introduced myself in the previous post here you go. its made by samsung and the tutorial on how to make boot animations is here

OK now that i introduced myself in the previous post here you go. its made by samsung and the tutorial on how to make boot animations is here
Dude this thread was posted over a year ago. He's probably got rid of his admire already LOL. Thanks for posting tho you're potentially help others.

I've done it without that program, although that sure makes it easier...I boot looped my first admire 3 times figuring it out and with help from some members who are no longer on here(some older roms had changing anis enabled, if yours is enabled use rom toolbox to change it, just don't use anything in rom manager under rom management section)...basically what I did was found an animation that I liked online or thru a boot animation changing app, then used root explorer to edit them to work. I took the bootanimation.zip I downloaded, then extracted it with root explorer. The one I wanted had 3 things inside the zip, desc.txt and 2 folders one named part0 the other part1...u have to go into the folders and rename each image...if first frame 0.png 2nd 1.PNG ect... do same for second folder if there...next click desc.txt use txt editor if it asks...make sure to change the properties inside to match our device so our screen is 800 x 400(make sure first writing this tired, if u put wrong size it wont look good at all) 800 is the height, 400 the width...fps never faster then 30 or slower then 24, most look best 28 or 30 fps...then u use root explorer to change the old animation by renaming it bootanimation.bak (make sure to mount system r/w first)...make a new folder where u edited the files named boot animation and move the folders and desc.txt inside this file...next move boot animation folder u made to the install location of your boot animation( usually data/local or system/media for Samsung)...then u must go thru the long process of giving everything the correct permissions and owner...for the images inside folder, using root explorer check all 3 down the first row(from top to bottom) so all have read permission...next row only check first top box(so user write permission) all other boxes blank...every PNG needs these perms...then owner needs to be 0root and group needs to be 0root...the folders also need to have permissions changed and owner changed...for folders check all under read, check top box under write only, and check all under execute...then owner and group 0root again...next make sure the folder containing your files has right perms and owner/group(same rules should apply)...then zip folder at 0 compression, remount system ro , and reboot...if done right you'll see your ani boot up...I may have missed something if so I apologize I'm barely awake, if I remember right there's an old thread in here somewhere with me and aboatright and Dwayne discussing how to do this over a year ago...ill double check my correctness after some sleep

I've done it without that program, although that sure makes it easier...I boot looped my first admire 3 times figuring it out and with help from some members who are no longer on here(some older roms had changing anis enabled, if yours is enabled use rom toolbox to change it, just don't use anything in rom manager under rom management section)...basically what I did was found an animation that I liked online or thru a boot animation changing app, then used root explorer to edit them to work. I took the bootanimation.zip I downloaded, then extracted it with root explorer. The one I wanted had 3 things inside the zip, desc.txt and 2 folders one named part0 the other part1...u have to go into the folders and rename each image...if first frame 0.png 2nd 1.PNG ect... do same for second folder if there...next click desc.txt use txt editor if it asks...make sure to change the properties inside to match our device so our screen is 800 x 400(make sure first writing this tired, if u put wrong size it wont look good at all) 800 is the height, 400 the width...fps never faster then 30 or slower then 24, most look best 28 or 30 fps...then u use root explorer to change the old animation by renaming it bootanimation.bak (make sure to mount system r/w first)...make a new folder where u edited the files named boot animation and move the folders and desc.txt inside this file...next move boot animation folder u made to the install location of your boot animation( usually data/local or system/media for Samsung)...then u must go thru the long process of giving everything the correct permissions and owner...for the images inside folder, using root explorer check all 3 down the first row(from top to bottom) so all have read permission...next row only check first top box(so user write permission) all other boxes blank...every PNG needs these perms...then owner needs to be 0root and group needs to be 0root...the folders also need to have permissions changed and owner changed...for folders check all under read, check top box under write only, and check all under execute...then owner and group 0root again...next make sure the folder containing your files has right perms and owner/group(same rules should apply)...then zip folder at 0 compression, remount system ro , and reboot...if done right you'll see your ani boot up...I may have missed something if so I apologize I'm barely awake, if I remember right there's an old thread in here somewhere with me and aboatright and Dwayne discussing how to do this over a year ago...ill double check my correctness after some sleep

Just looking at that is an eye strainer so you might wanna edit a bit?

Yeah I know my bad I was out of it the other night...Its a pretty intensive feat to do manually though, and so I tried to cover as much info as possible to make it easier to understand and made one continuous paragraph...when I have the time will break it down...

Yeah I know my bad I was out of it the other night...Its a pretty intensive feat to do manually though, and so I tried to cover as much info as possible to make it easier to understand and made one continuous paragraph...when I have the time will break it down...

I read some were in this thread the wanted to make qmgs. Not bootanimaton.zips

Back
Top Bottom