• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root bootloop and not mounting sd cards

yacobo

Hi all,
so, here's the story;
i bought the rezound (on GB)from a friend and proceded to set it up for myself. in the process of only a few hours there was a notification of the ICS update. so, i said yes to the update, and then it wouldnt reboot. (all it would do is come to the htc screen, go black, and try again. over and over) i tried talking to big red and they told me since i didnt buy if from them that there was no warranty. So, i went ahead and upgraded to the razr maxx hd.

so anyway, i am still trying to get it up and running.
here is what i have tried;
i downloaded the global ics ruu, put it on the sd card, booted into hboot, and it installed. again, then it went into the bootloop cycle coming only to the htc screen. so, i researched and followed Scotty's guide to rootiing, and acheived unlocked, with s-on. i was hoping that would fix me to reboot. it didnt

after further research, i fastbooted, and flashed the boot.img from the global ruu, and it booted to the os. but no mounting of the sd cards. so thinking i had an os working, i ran the global ruu again, to hopefully fix the sd card issue. it didnt.

today i have a fone that cycles the htc screen, but not booting to the os.
i have amon ra installed, and when i fastboot into amon ra it will not see the sd card, whether to wipe, or install a zip file. it does not recognize it at all.

this is my hboot screen;
***unlocked***
VIGOR PUT SHIP S-ON
hboot-2.27.0000
radio-2.22.10.0801r/2.22.10.0803r
OpenDSP-v14.6.0.7708.00.0507
eMMC-boot
Aug 6, 2012

i have tried cwm recovery, still no luck. same with twrp

please help!!!

yacobo

unfortunately,if youve run the ruu and are still having issues,thats not too good a sign. typically that is some sort of hardware or file system failure.

did the ruu hang at any particular partition? did it install them all and give an OK afterwards?

i would fastboot flash the stock recovery back into place(or run the ruu again)

once you have the stock recovery back,try a clear storage,and if it still wont boot,try factory reset,both from the hboot menu.

as an absolute last ditch effort,you could fastboot erase cache,system,and boot.
fastboot erase cache

fastboot erase boot

fastboot erase system

at this point the phone will definately not boot,as there is nothing there to boot :eek: now run the ruu again and keep fingers crossed :)

Thank you Scotty85 for the reply;
I am at the point of fastboot erase boot, but it returns with FAILED (remote: not allowed). i have performed fastboot erase cache with no problems. what do i do now?

Also; the ruu installs with no hang ups anywhere that i could see. And everything said "ok".

Thank you Scotty85 for the reply;
I am at the point of fastboot erase boot, but it returns with FAILED (remote: not allowed). i have performed fastboot erase cache with no problems. what do i do now?

Also; the ruu installs with no hang ups anywhere that i could see. And everything said "ok".

doh! you may need to be s off to erase boot and system. i thot you could erase those 2 while unlocked,but maybe not.

have you tried clear storage with the factory recovery in place?

one other thing you can try,is to boot your kernel,and see if the OS starts. basically just like you flashed it,but slightly different command:

fastboot boot imagename.img

i.e.,named simply "boot"

fastboot boot boot.img

if there is an issue with the boot partition,launching the kernel into memory frim the cmd window may get the phone up and running. it may run reliably like that,but you may need a PC every time you want to reboot it :eek:

Sorry about the delay, I was in mtgs all day yesterday.
I tried the clear storage, and no boot up. I also did the cmd boot.IMG and all I get is the white HTC screen.
Man, it just feels like I'm so close to getting it started. Maybe its time to let it go. Unless you know of something else to try?

Thanks Scotty85 for helping.

I have even tried to send os via flash zip file, but it will not go. "failed; remote not allowed" i have it relocked to read ruu on sd card and it reads it but will not install.
do i have a brick?

anyway, thanks for helping Scotty85.

I have even tried to send os via flash zip file, but it will not go. "failed; remote not allowed" i have it relocked to read ruu on sd card and it reads it but will not install.
do i have a brick?

anyway, thanks for helping Scotty85.

are you trying to run the ruu from fastboot? if so,make sure you are in ruu mode. some basic directions are these:
f youre working with a booted,operational phone,you can flsh the file in the following manner:

-open a cmd window

-change to adb/fastboot directory
cd c:\foldername
(cd c:\mini-adb if youve used any of my guides :))

-place the zip file you want to flash into adb/fastboot directory

-enable usb debug,disable fastboot,plug in phone

-check for connectivity
adb devices (should return serial number)

-boot to fastboot
adb reboot bootloader

-check for connectivity again
fastboot devices

-flash the file
fastboot erase cache

fastboto oem rebootRUU (will put you in ruu mode,black screen silver htc letters)

fastboot flash zip zipfilename.zip (will send and flash the file. dont interupt it while the cmd window shows its writinging,and the green status bar is moving on the phone screen)

*sometimes a file will fail with a pre-update error. this is normal,just enter again:
fastboot flash zip zipfilename.zip
and this time it will finish

-when you get "finished" and "OK"
fastboot reboot-bootloader (takes you back to fastboot)

-reboot back to the OS
fastbooot reboot

you can use this if you dont have an operational phone as well. you just need to manually put the phone in fastboot(select from hboot menu) then skip the "adb" commands and start with fastboot devices

what was happening when you tried to install from the sd card?

From SD card it sees the ph98img file, checks it then installs with it showing OK on all of the points. Then when it asks to reboot I say yes, then it just sits at the HTC screen till the battery dies.
As far as installing from fast boot, I had read many forums and from cmd window told it to flash zip file, but I didn't realize to put into ruu mode like this.
I will try that tomorrow and let you know.

Thank you very much, this gives me hope.

i have put it into fastboot, erase cache, rebootRUU, flash zip. this is what i get in return;
(remote: 24 parsing android-info fail)

any idea's???

Have you modified the file? The error you're getting is from the android info text document inside the zip either missing,or not containing the expected info.

I have not modified anything.

so this is the same file that you installed from the sd card in hboot? :confused:

if so,ive no idea why youd be able to falsh it one way,but not the other :eek:

also sorry for the delayed replies,been a busy weekend!

Yes it is the same file, the only thing I would have done is extract it to get the boot image. Would that have caused the error?
Should I redownload it and try it again?
And no problem on delay, I also was/am very busy.

Thanks so much Scotty85. You've been a blessing.

Yes it is the same file, the only thing I would have done is extract it to get the boot image. Would that have caused the error?
Should I redownload it and try it again?
And no problem on delay, I also was/am very busy.

Thanks so much Scotty85. You've been a blessing.

if you had inadvertantyly modified or deleted the android info text document,then definately that would have casued the error ;)

i always open up a copy of something i have no intention of flashing,rather than trying to unzip/rezip so redownloading would not be a bad idea if you dont have any unlolested copies of it :)

Ok Scott, i redownloaded the ruu. i put phone into fastboot with it relocked, fastboot oem rebootRUU, ran the zip and it went through, on the cmd window it said ok and finished, but on the phone screen the green line wasnt done yet and just sat there till my battery died.
i have no idea what that means.
what should i do?

thanks again for your help,
yacobo

just charge it up and try to turn it on. as long as you got the 'ok' in the cmd window,then youre fine. the green bar typically does not reach the right side,and is nothing to be concerned with :)

just charge it up and try to turn it on. as long as you got the 'ok' in the cmd window,then youre fine. the green bar typically does not reach the right side,and is nothing to be concerned with :)

Ok, i ran the ruu again just to be sure. This time i did the reboot-bootloader thing after it said ok and finished in cmd window. Then i did fastboot reboot, and it still continues in the endless boot cycle with white screen with htc in green, but will not boot up.
Is this thing hopeless?:(

Is the phone worth anything if i cant get it to boot up?

Thanks again Scott

Ok, i ran the ruu again just to be sure. This time i did the reboot-bootloader thing after it said ok and finished in cmd window. Then i did fastboot reboot, and it still continues in the endless boot cycle with white screen with htc in green, but will not boot up.
Is this thing hopeless?:(

Is the phone worth anything if i cant get it to boot up?

Thanks again Scott

sorry for the late reply. i cant really think of anything else you can try- when an ruu doesnt fix something,the phone likely has some sort of hardware issue.

its prolly not worth much,sorry to say- the battery,screen,digitizer,etc. can all be purchased seperately for not much $$ on ebay

Back
Top Bottom