• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Boots into recovery after restoring backup? (Virgin Mobile)

tyler1998

Hey all! I am currently on the virgin mobile usa version of the htc desire 816! I love this phone and the fact that there is a cm12 out for it! the only problem I have is that I create and restore backups in cwm recovery v6.0.4.7, however after a backup restore, the phone boots right back into the recovery, and not an os, is this only me?

I had a similar thing happen to me. In my case, I was still able to boot into hboot. I'm not sure if you're able to as well, but if you are, keep reading.

Here's what I did:
1. With my phone connected to the computer, while in hboot, I flashed back to the stock recovery using fastboot and adb.
(If done correctly, this should leave your phone with a triangle and red exclamation mark.)
2. I had to flash back to a custom recovery (I use CWM)
3. I flashed a custom rom.

This wipes all of your data, but at least you get your phone working again. Maybe if you still have the backup saved on your card, you can load it up in recovery once it's been reinstalled. Also, I'm assuming that since you rooted your phone in the first place, you can find the stock recovery on your own.
I hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply! The problem is not a boot issue, it is whenever I restore a cwm backup, the phone will not boot into an O.S., it will boot straight into the recvoery, the only way to fix this is by flashing a new ROM. pretty much, this renders the backup and restore unusable for me, which makes me nervouse about flahsing new ROMs because once its done, theres no going back

Hey all! I am currently on the virgin mobile usa version of the htc desire 816! I love this phone and the fact that there is a cm12 out for it! the only problem I have is that I create and restore backups in cwm recovery v6.0.4.7, however after a backup restore, the phone boots right back into the recovery, and not an os, is this only me?
In recovery Terminal Command
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/fota
Followed by
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/misc
It works on my LG, haven't had the chance of testing on the HTC yet. Here's my resource link
http://androidforums.com/resources/twrp-bootloop-fix-commands.212/ read the link first.
If it works let me know and I'll fix the zip to be able to be flashed on your device

Thanks for the response! However this is a cwm backup error not TWRP, is it recommended to flash twrp and try this method?

Thanks for the response! However this is a cwm backup error not TWRP, is it recommended to flash twrp and try this method?
This can be entered in CWM. I just can't guarantee this will work, it depends on if the partitions are set the same. If you can provide the path were "fota" and "misc" ate located I can rewrite the commands. I would like to end up making a universal command, but that involves tons and tons of feedback.

Back
Top Bottom