• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Broken gps!! (Fixed(Sort of))

yknujssab

Android Enthusiast
After numerous attempts to repair my GPS, to no good end. I am getting frustrated. I've unbricked, ran CM with GPS fix's (which is inconsistent at best), restored old (working) stock roms and nothing. Sometimes it's a few blocks away. Sometimes in half a state away (I'm southern central Valley of Cali, and it's shows by Nevada, right above Reno :confused:) When on stock I use GPS toolbox to see if I can hook up to satellites and a big fat 0!! Is it broken? Can I reset it somehow? Have I flased too much GPS "fixes" on CM?

edit: sort of fixed by unclicking assisted gps.

After numerous attempts to repair my GPS, to no good end. I am getting frustrated. I've unbricked, ran CM with GPS fix's (which is inconsistent at best), restored old (working) stock roms and nothing. Sometimes it's a few blocks away. Sometimes in half a state away (I'm southern central Valley of Cali, and it's shows by Nevada, right above Reno :confused:) When on stock I use GPS toolbox to see if I can hook up to satellites and a big fat 0!! Is it broken? Can I reset it somehow? Have I flased too much GPS "fixes" on CM?

Try KDZ again after you formated your /system in recovery. Then test if GPS works. If yes, flash a fresh cm10 rom and manually (no flash) replace the gps.default.so with swains fix file and make permissions the same.

Edit: try formating system when on stock too

Try KDZ again after you formated your /system. Then test if GPS works. If yes, flash a fresh cm10 rom and manually (no flash) replace the gps.default.so with swains fix file and make permissions the same.

Edit: try formating system when on stock too

Ok, I'll try that, seems that I have before in here. :confused:
Getting really frustrated. My other 3 Motions (wife and kids) have no problem locking but I use mine when we go out of town.

Not sure how much this matters but comparing one of the other phones with mine (both rooted) in the hidden menu ##626*, then field tests, then screen, at the bottom [LTE Field Service Mode] all fields on mine say NO_SRV. On the other phone they are populated with numbers and stuff

Downgrade how?

Sorry meant unbricking, KDZ is the only available solution to fix. I know, it takes too damn long
:(

Not sure how much this matters but comparing one of the other phones with mine (both rooted) in the hidden menu ##626*, then field tests, then screen, at the bottom [LTE Field Service Mode] all fields on mine say NO_SRV. On the other phone they are populated with numbers and stuff

The hidden menu probably accesses the already configured GPS data on that fixed phone and yours is just lost...

Sorry meant unbricking, KDZ is the only available solution to fix. I know, it takes too damn long
:(

The hidden menu probably accesses the already configured GPS data on that fixed phone and yours is just lost...

Nah, it doesn't take too long.
Just would like to know how the hell I lost it!?!
Also shouldn't it recover when unbrickng?

Get GPS fixed on stock first. then you'll be able to make use of the gps fixed files on cm10..

Sometimes kdz doesn't format all files, it'll assume that some files don't need replacing. Like for example doing kdz twice more when on stock c unbricking to stock c (reboots then boots normally like nothing happened, no factory reset). I've also seen it skip a few check marks before.

Formatted system and still nothing. I'll try again tomorrow.

Sorry man, couldn't really explain how I fixed that same exact dilemma I was having. Stroke of luck I guess, not to give your hopes up but it was when I was on stock f (gps still didn't work) unbricking to stock c and then either wait for checks to get past 80+ or completed to 100 (hard reset if bootloop). Somehow gps worked again (I only check marked only GPS location to test, no assisted gps or google gps).

Oh and by the way, during the time gps was broken on my phone (stock c). I did try to replace gps.default.so and gps.conf from another motion (stock f) and no change at all happened. Still the same gps notification "gps setting location" kept going and going.

Sorry man, couldn't really explain how I fixed that same exact dilemma I was having. Stroke of luck I guess, not to give your hopes up but it was when I was on stock f (gps still didn't work) unbricking to stock c and then either wait for checks to get past 80+ or completed to 100 (hard reset if bootloop). Somehow gps worked again (I only check marked only GPS location to test, no assisted gps or google gps).

Oh and by the way, during the time gps was broken on my phone (stock c). I did try to replace gps.default.so and gps.conf from another motion (stock f) and no change at all happened. Still the same gps notification "gps setting location" kept going and going.

I think you got something. I went into settings and unclicked assisted GPS. I think that did it. I guess I'll drive around to find out. Thanks.

I think you got something. I went into settings and unclicked assisted GPS. I think that did it. I guess I'll drive around to find out. Thanks.

Well that seemed to have fixed it. Not sure why the assisted GPS would be jacking things up, but there it is. Thanks Incakola.

Back
Top Bottom