• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

BusyBox install help

psufan5

Nov 26, 2009
Yes my phone is rooted...

Trying to run metamorph on the droid but I apparently need busybox first. I am having problems installing it. I tried to follow the directions:

cd to your adb tools directory
adb push busybox /data/local/busybox
adb shell
su
cd /data/local
chmod 755 busybox
./busybox
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
mkdir /system/xbin
/data/local/busybox cp /data/local/busybox /system/xbin
/data/local/busybox cp /data/local/busybox /system/bin
cd /system/xbin
busybox --install .
mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
sync
reboot

--------

I dont have an adb tools directory... and adb isnt even a command on my phone... There has to be something I am missing... Also, if I get those working, how would I get the file where it needs to be? I tried copying it from my SD card into the directory, but it never shows up...

Thanks

Are you rooted? adb is part of the android SDK. This method pushes from your PC to your device. Sounds like you're trying to run adb through a terminal on your device?

If you're rooted already the easiest way imo is to 1) download the unzipped busybox to sdcard, mount system rw, cat busybox to /system/xbin/busybox (make sure this directory is created), cd to /system/xbin, ./busybox --install .

That's how I did it. If you have a root file explorer you might want to change your path to include xbin before the rest of path as well.

Upvote 0
I followed that guide as I had to reinstall busybox and couldn't find droidroothelper again. This was the first time I've actually used the adb shell in my rooting, but I had no problems at all following those steps listed in the guide. Perhaps you missed a step at the beginning or something? Are you sure you have USB debugging enabled in settings/applications/development?

Upvote 0
I followed that guide as I had to reinstall busybox and couldn't find droidroothelper again. This was the first time I've actually used the adb shell in my rooting, but I had no problems at all following those steps listed in the guide. Perhaps you missed a step at the beginning or something? Are you sure you have USB debugging enabled in settings/applications/development?

Im pretty sure i followed it. i did find the droidroothelper and that worked. so i must of messed up something.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones