• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bye bye, Bixby

Rgarner

Android Expert
How do I get rid of this thing? I guess it keeps trying to connect, which I don't want. I don't even know what it is. In fact, what I really want is to pin the screen, just the camera, for now. Eventually I would probably want to unpin it. How do I do that? I have looked through settings with no luck. It's Android 12.

I find Bixby to be surprisingly useful when doing things within the phone - users may have to put it on a short leash, depending on what they want Bixby to do. Asking Bixby about things "out there" is hit or miss. I don't know what Bixby is doing to drive you crazy, but there are ways to limit it without disabling it. She raps pretty well, too LOL

What I mean by screen pinning is this: it is apparently possible to lock a particular app, making all others inaccessible. For instance, suppose a stranger wants to make a phone call and the owner is willing to allow that but not selfies, Internet searches, etc. "Just a minute"...lock that sucker to calls only. As for the connect thing, I guess I hit the wrong key by mistake and there it is, saying that it can't connect. I don't want it to connect. I want to lock the phone to camera only, and disable that darn selfie mode. Sometimes it switches when I'm trying to make a video and I have to stop, fix it, and start all over again. It's really annoying.

I turned off all the darned voice assistants. They had this habit of being triggered all the time by accident, and whenever you actually tried to do anything useful with them, they always said 'I can't do this right now'

So what's the point? I remember the most recent accidental trigger was Bixby waking up when I was listening to a Roy D Mercer album, the one about 'International Tours of Bixby'.

Samsung recently added Bixby trigger to the actual power button, which IMO is far worse than the 'bixby button'. The only true way I know to turn that off is to go to the power button settings, I think it's listed under advanced features-->Side key-->default action. By default it's set to Bixby, just set to power off menu. There's also a default voice assistant option under settings-->Apps-->Default apps. turn it off completely or set to Google. Third, there's a voice wakeup option within the Bixby app itself, disable that.

My flip phone (ZTE Cymbal running Android AOSP 5.1.1) doesn't have an option for a voice assistant, and I don't care or need one. I have stated many times in the past, that it was a cute novelty for a short time, but then became more a hinderence than a useful feature.

I had a short stint with IoT devices that ended whenever Google couldn't 'talk' to a smart bulb or something and it became never-ending frustration and I just gave up and do my automation via timers now, and use incandescent bulbs (I recently found that LEDs are harsher and give me migraines) and am more fond of vintage over modern these days. I remember Assistant having many instances of me having to ask her twice to do something like 'turn on the living room lights' to having half the lights come on, and then she spits out 'sorry, living room light 3 isn't responding right now' and then I couldn't turn any of 'em off because she lost the link. It was too hit or miss to have any confidence.

Don't get me started on Alexa having the 'there are two or more devices with that name, which one did you want?' (sorry, Alexa, there's only ONE light by the name 'living room light one')

But it was cute to get bad jokes out of S-Voice on my SIII. I do miss her HQ english female voice pack (very sultry sounding). The novelty lasted an hour and that was it. It could do some things Google Now at the time could not though, such as toggle Wifi and Bluetooth on or off.

I miss her HQ english female voice pack (very sultry sounding).

LoL.
I use MacroDroid to automate various functions on my phone. Some confirmations are done with the English female voice module. Really irks the crap out of the Boss Lady when my phone pops up and says "Pardon me, Sir, but you have a text message." , in that British accent.

Back
Top Bottom