• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Calling all A70 Owners(Part-1)..Need Advice Buying A70

echo9

Feb 16, 2012
India
Hi all,

I need an Android smartphone, my budget being a max of ~7.5k
I just narrowed down on Micromax A70.

But as I am seeing new issues here on forum such as touch screen responding in funny ways, some part of the screen not responding and battery backup being too low etc.

I need to know from all of you..that:

-how really good is battery backup? before and after installing any mods/stock roms etc.

-any good ROMS, mods for a new A70? upgrading to 2.3? how realy well is it? :|

-I am an IT Pro and would like to work on porting cyanogen mod (CM v.6/7) onto A70. What are my chances? Has anyone tried it before?how much success..? etc.

- I have already contacted a guy in "U madforum" (cyanogen is actively developed by 2 forums across WWW; 1:UMAD TEAM, 2:XDA) and he is showing interest in developing a cyanogen port for A70. (I have told him the length and breadth of the cruelty done to us (yes, i read it all on fb and here.. including techenclave) by mmx + BYD :/ (..mofos..))

I would be needing your valuable suggestions+help. And I need existing devs to support me, support that guy @ mad forum so that we all (for now "you all" :D) can get a CM onto A70's :cool:

Final thoughts:

-should I really buy A70? I read that samsung will be releasing Samsung galaxy mini 2 which is supposed to be economical(around 10k). (though it has a AMOLED (guess a super AMOLED) on it :D+ 800mhz proc)
and I can wait for it. :p

- 2 other phones in my consideration:
> Vodafone 858 Smart (rebranded Huawei u8160)
> Huawei u8150 (has a 3mp cam :) rest similar to vodafone smart)

(really SORRY MODS but I need to ask my Indian bros here..a similar thread posted by me at the main "Android Lounge" managed to get 140+ views but "0" replies so..suk it up, be good and let me post here in a gist :D )

Thanks all and plz do reply to all of my queries,
echo9 aka mastbanda

Micromax a70 is a very good phone indeed...!! you must be knowing specs so won't elaborate 'em...!!

Battery backup : Before - it lasted for about 5-6 hours normal usage , AFter custom rom's normal usage 1day- 1 and a half day

Good rom's : We'r showered with 'em..!! you can check out sticky posts which has all rom's present in it and u can opt for h3 or leandros 1 ( personal exp. don't figt upon dis guys ) ,

Cm7 nighlies is successfully ported but there are many bugs like no gsm working , no touch and many other unknowns...The biggest problem is the kernel source mmx doesn't relesed kernel source for a70 and don't plan in future to do so...so till now cm7 is still a dream

Nutshell : I think you should wait for MWC on 28th FEb , and wait for mobile companies to reveal their new handsets and then make your decision and at this price micromax a70 is worth a shot :)

Reactions: echo9
Upvote 0
Micromax a70 is a very good phone indeed...!! you must be knowing specs so won't elaborate 'em...!!

Battery backup : Before - it lasted for about 5-6 hours normal usage , AFter custom rom's normal usage 1day- 1 and a half day

Good rom's : We'r showered with 'em..!! you can check out sticky posts which has all rom's present in it and u can opt for h3 or leandros 1 ( personal exp. don't figt upon dis guys ) ,

Cm7 nighlies is successfully ported but there are many bugs like no gsm working , no touch and many other unknowns...The biggest problem is the kernel source mmx doesn't relesed kernel source for a70 and don't plan in future to do so...so till now cm7 is still a dream

Nutshell : I think you should wait for MWC on 28th FEb , and wait for mobile companies to reveal their new handsets and then make your decision and at this price micromax a70 is worth a shot :)

super! thanks for replying fast :)

and plz come on IRC
I've been sitting there for a while.. alone. :|

i need more sugestions reg. market stats etc.

Upvote 0
one more thing there is no such part 1 !!!!!!!!

sorry bro but "story abhi baaki hai" :D

part1 was NOT meant for the phone.. its for the "thread"

i'll look if I can get hold of an a70 and will start porting CM/2.3 on it.
and in the 2nd thread i'll start posting about any success/errors and bricking of my a70 while porting to CM / 2.3.

Thx,
echo9

Upvote 0
Right now ur budget is narrowed to ~7.5k so A70 is best in that range..green light for u..only cons is non-availability of source code.
choice is urs..

well goin a bit off brand here..how about samsung's latest galaxy mini 2?? the s6500? its going to be released this MWC (@ barcelona) due 28th feb 2012 :D

rumors are that this mob will be in range of 10k and i feel i can wait for a month max. if its in range of 10k :D

chkout its specs! :p

Upvote 0
well goin a bit off brand here..how about samsung's latest galaxy mini 2?? the s6500? its going to be released this MWC (@ barcelona) due 28th feb 2012 :D

rumors are that this mob will be in range of 10k and i feel i can wait for a month max. if its in range of 10k :D

don't go for mini2...low resolution 240x320 aslo only 1200mah battery...for 10k best option is lg optimus net duos...dual sim,512ram,800mhz cpu,320x480 resolution... :)

Upvote 0

man are u seriously comparing a approx 1 yr old phone to a upcoming model ?
do u think it is fare ...
if u are willing to wait its like the best but remember if u keep on waiting u will never buy a phone !
and one more thing ofcourse if u can wait go for galaxy mini as it will be having s.code hence many things could be done on it ! + support will be at-least better than MMx!

Upvote 0
If u ready to wait then go for mini2...n as I said already decision is urs to make.n btw after seeing specs i personally feel that it won't be @10k..may be around 13k..definitely won't be a budget phone.
A70 is very nice phone but service is too poor n development has slowed down a lot due to unavailability of source code n major bugs in cm7 port..that's the only reason to opt for mini2.

Upvote 0
man are u seriously comparing a approx 1 yr old phone to a upcoming model ?
do u think it is fare ...
if u are willing to wait its like the best but remember if u keep on waiting u will never buy a phone !
and one more thing ofcourse if u can wait go for galaxy mini as it will be having s.code hence many things could be done on it ! + support will be at-least better than MMx!

not comparing! :|
but i do agree samung's good and its src is open. but..but majority of samsung galaxy budgest phones like galaxy Y, pop etc have a 240x320 res screen and thats an "eww" :p for me :D

thats the only reason (the major* reason) why am going for a70 secondary being the design:cool:

hmm still i'll wait till 28th this month and see whats in store for me :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
not comparing! :|
but i do agree samung's good and its src is open. but..but majority of samsung galaxy budgest phones like galaxy Y, pop etc have a 240x320 res screen and thats an "eww" :p for me :D

thats the only reason (the major* reason) why am going for a70 secondary being the design:cool:

hmm still i'll wait till 28th this month and see whats in store for me :rolleyes:

I am not getting u,why r u not going with lg optimus net duos??????????? dual sim,320x480 resolution,2.3 android,800mhz cpu,512mb ram & price only 10k available in flipkart & other online sites...net duos is far better than mini2...

Upvote 0
I am not getting u,why r u not going with lg optimus net duos??????????? dual sim,320x480 resolution,2.3 android,800mhz cpu,512mb ram & price only 10k available in flipkart & other online sites...net duos is far better than mini2...
U can't compare just like that...lg opt duos is a year old phone...
mini2 has 3gb internal memory..n all other specs same except dual sim.i m not saying mini2 is better or lg opt is better...but mini2 is upcoming,latest model...the only reason to consider lg opt is dual sim..

Upvote 0
U can't compare just like that...lg opt duos is a year old phone...
mini2 has 3gb internal memory..n all other specs same except dual sim.i m not saying mini2 is better or lg opt is better...but mini2 is upcoming,latest model...the only reason to consider lg opt is dual sim..

i wish i had 2 "thanks" button for what mastermind1024 has just said :D

+ on top of all samsung galaxy mini 2 will be having a super AMOLED display :p

do you have any idea how superb it'll be!!?? :eek::cool:

nvm..we're getting off topic here..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones