• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Camcorder on the Hero is such and underachiever...

hakujin

Android Enthusiast
I swear... I almost never use camcorder on the Hero because the PQ and SQ is abysmal (and that's putting it mildly. IT SUCKS. Why on god's green earth is there not a good alternative to increase was is most certainly software and not hardware related. We need more encoding options. My only guess is some framework handicap similar to the lackluster codec support on android in general...

This problem is NOT (I repeat not) the hardware. It is a given that with the right mpeg 4 codec/quality settings, we could get acceptable 640x480 vid. Even more evident is how much improvement that could be had in audio. It literally sounds like a tin can held underneath a pillow when I record in my living room w/ the music on. Looking at the resulting .3gp file, it's no wonder. AMR, CBR, 12.8Kbps bitrate, 1 channel, 8k hertz sample rate... huh??? My much older WinMo HTC phone records better audio, my Samsung T-809 slider (OLD) records better, and the Hero even records better. If you don't think so, download VirtualRecorder from the app store. NIGHT and DAY difference in sound quality. Better bit rate, frequency, and codec = huge difference.

Please, can someone tell me what can be done... is there a 3rd party app? setting somewhere I can unlock. dying to know and wondering why the deuce on... on 2.1 even? totally unacceptable, but I'm under contract now. :(

the new android app: justin.tv, all but confirms my theory that this was and is not a hardware issue, but a crappy codec one. the quality on justin.tv when live streaming from android hero is noticeably better than the A/V quality on in Android which is optimized for nothing better than poor quality mms. there HAS to be an app somewhere that mitigates this problem and provides even better pq options to store locally on phone. 640x480 mpeg4 w/ at least 64kbps audio works well.

I hope some one listen your opinion and star fix it to make it better. cheer :)
grey.png

Back
Top Bottom