• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

camera help (attention bob :P)

To pull this back some what close to on topic:

If people don't keep Corollas, why would anyone bother continue making parts or keeping spare junkers around? You would be correct in that I haven't seen an old Corolla running around in quite a while. That means no one is bothering to repair it, owners aren't finding it worth the hassle. Why? The Corolla is a car of the modern age. It was designed to get people from one place to the other. When it has used up its usefulness and isn't worth the fuss to fix, it'll be replaced by something newer and better.

The old Olds on the other hand, I can tell you the last time I saw one of those on the road. That would have been yesterday. Actually, that would also go for old Fords and Chevy's too. They are cars of love/enthusiasm. As long as there is gasoline to go into the tanks, there will be parts to keep them running. Heck, people literally bring old cars back from the depths of death that would have any Corolla new or old sent to be melted down. (Well, the parts that can be melted down anyway.)

Cars and cameras are the same. Old film bodies actually have a collectors market. They were a body, shutter and lens with aperture. (Some mounted, some not.) They were a lot like old cars, very simple and easy to care for. Newer cars and cameras are about gizmos, a lot of them. All those gizmos are more things to go wrong and drive up the cost of parts and labor. They also drive the one up game which renders the model from a couple of years ago into collecting, collecting dust. All one has to do is look at the advertising for each. It is all one-upsmanship and how the manufacturers can do it for cheap.

Do I shy away from the new stuff? No. I use them but I also don't hold any illusions about their life-span of usefulness. I've got film cameras from as far back as the 60s and those I will continue to use. My digital bodies? After about five years, they'll have a good coat of dust on them.

Reactions: Frisco
Upvote 0
I see old Corrolla's ALL THE TIME, usually with half a million miles or more. Lets see that from ANY Olds. Nobody likes Corrolla's? That is why it is the best selling car IN HISTORY. Nobody will do a full restore on a Corrolla for the simple fact, it isn't a collector's item. Doesn't mean it is any more "disposable" than ANY other car. Collector's market or not. People restore the old cars, not because they were made better, IF they were made better, they would be able to get to a half million miles. They restore them, because they want something nobody else has.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones