• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Camera Image/Photo's very low quality

HI Guys,
started to use the camera 2day for the first time, and the images were very very low quality. I updated the camera firmware the other day thru the samsung app within the phone (offering updated version).

i started the camera up (using the settings that were set for Normal, and the flash was off.
Photo taken from about 5 feet away from the object.
Once i viewed the image in the gallery and zoomed in slightly, it was totally blurred out. Looking at the image normally, it looked like a phone with a 2mp camera.

Am i doing something wrong ?

cheers everyone

Tom

What are you comparing it to and what were the lighting conditions?

The front lens on my DSLR (not the whole lens assembly but just the front piece of glass) probably weighs more than my phone. The fact is that no phone can take good photographs and the problems of the tiny lens are exacerbated by poor light.

Perhaps you could post a picture and we could judge whether there is a problem or whether you are expecting a phone to take genuinely decent photographs (which no phone can).

Check that:

You have set the camera to the maximum resolution

You have set image quality to superfine

Your lens is clean!

A few weeks ago I tested the Galaxy S2 camera against my Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5V (a compact camera that received a lot of favourable reviews last year), and outdoors in good lighting conditions the phone camera actually measured up reasonably well - or more accurately perhaps, it didn't take terrible pictures.

As soon as the lighting conditions get worse though - and that can still be with what seems like it ought to be plenty of light indoors - the phone camera goes from okay to terrible very, very quickly, while my Sony compact camera fares much better, even without the use of flash.

And whatever you do, don't use the zoom function on the phone camera. It's guaranteed to turn into an ugly, pixelated mess. Presumably because it doesn't actually zoom, it just enlarges the pixels of the cropped view to fill the same resolution.

The fact is that no phone can take good photographs and the problems of the tiny lens are exacerbated by poor light

That's debatable. I had to take a photo of the inside of my pc which is dark, yet the picture came out perfect. You could even read all the writing if you zoomed into the motherboard.

I would upload the image but just like everything else I've tried to upload onto this site its too big.

That's debatable. I had to take a photo of the inside of my pc which is dark, yet the picture came out perfect. You could even read all the writing if you zoomed into the motherboard.

I would upload the image but just like everything else I've tried to upload onto this site its too big.

While of course anything is up for debate, the amount of light getting into the camera/phone depends on the size of the lens. In a real camera, it is MUCH larger. The SGS2 lens has a diameter of 1.5-2mm compared to at least 60mm on the lens I use most often on my DSLR. Also, the optics would be much higher quality. There is no way a phone can compete with this.

My DSLR, a Canon EOS40D doesn't have a much higher resolution than my phone (10MB vs 8MB) but even in good light, the camera takes far sharper images than the phone. I know this isn't a fair comparison but even the best cameraphone cannot compete with any reasonable camera and certainly not with a DSLR.

I have taken some decent photographs with my SGS2 in good light, but they still aren't as good as they would have been with my camera. In low light, there's no comparison.

Yeah I totally agree that in comparison a camera phone is never going to be as good as a decent camera. I was just debating "The face is no phone can take a good picture" bit.

Hi Guys,
I am comparing it to my previous iphone which generally took great shots.
TBH, maybe the light wasnt just right.
Unlike the iphone which is just "point and shoot", with not really a great deal of settings, there is a great deal of additional settings on this phone, which i am just beginning to discover.

I ma going to mess about with light and settings to try and get some good shots, but if i feel i am not getting anywhere, i will upload a sample, and hopefully someone can advise further.

cheers

i too agree that camera phones dont come close to a good dedicated digital camera (and obviously not close to any kind of dslr qualit, not by a mile). i read great reviews about the SGS2 camera, n i was disappointed with the photos ive been taking with it. i guess im a bit used to my dslr's high quality, so maybe thats the reason. the quality does come rather close to my old cybershot (although im not too pleased with that camera either) all in all, its a decent camera, and u shouldnt be getting poor quality out of it. like mentioned above, make sure u've set the resolution to a high setting, and more importantly the image quality to super fine. thats as good as its gonna get. and i'd avoid using the flash if u want natural lookin images, unless ur shooting in really really low light

Although I have had smartphones for years, I haven't really used the cameras much until my iPhone 3 and this SGS2.

The iPhone didn't have a great camera (even by phone standards) and I would definitely say that the SGS2 is better but I don't have wide experience of phone cameras and my expectations for a phone camera are fairly low.

Yes, the camera works fine (for a phone). Works reasonably in good light, but does struggle when the light starts fading. Lotus49 has it all spot on; a phone with a minute lens is never going to compete with a camera with a far larger lens in anything other than bright light - there's simply so much less light getting to the sensor.

The camera on my iPhone4 was better than on my SGS2 (despite being 5mp as opposed to 8mp) - but then it also had a better screen to view the shots on.

The GS2 camera is no slouch in the right hands though. I've taken some great pics with it, and startup times (of the cam) are really impressive (better than the iPhone4)

The camera on my iPhone4 was better than on my SGS2 (despite being 5mp as opposed to 8mp) - but then it also had a better screen to view the shots on.

The GS2 camera is no slouch in the right hands though. I've taken some great pics with it, and startup times (of the cam) are really impressive (better than the iPhone4)

iPhone4 screen is better than the GS2 screen?

Interesting thread. I also think expecting image quality of good digital cam from smart-phone is impractical though it has advanced a lot recently to challenge low end P&S today.

Does anyone know sensor diagonal size of today's smart-phone? Most P&S cam today have 1/2.3" CCD or CMOS sensors with 12M~16M pixels. 16MP in 1/2.3" sensor is way over cramped and causes severe noises defeating purpose of higher resolution sensor. I guess pixel density of 8MP camera sensor in phone is roughly equivalent to 16MP 1/2.3" sensor in P&S. So they better stop ramping up pixels in phone camera any further like 12MP.

I think the biggest factors (considering u have all settings on max) while taking pictures are:

1) Adequate lighting (during the day not against the sun)
2) Objects or subjects movements
3) Flash or No flash
4) Focus (until the green things come out)

I have used an 8mp camera on my old Samsung I8910 HD and this camera is a lot better, but it needs the person who is using it to be a bit careful and to know its tweaks.
I'm simply stunned by the difference in movie and picture quality depending on the above 4 mentioned Factors. I'm so happy with my camera and phone. To be honest I even made videos and pics in clubs , parties, closed areas at night and the pics are sharp and not pix-elated.

I would suggest to all unhappy users to experiment and find the way, there is a way :-) Don't loose hope

iPhone4 screen is better than the GS2 screen?

Better in terms of pixel density so you can see much more on the screen. However contrast and colour saturation I believe the SGSII has the upper hand. This is from my own viewing experience between the two but I guess its up to user preference.

The SGS2 camera can be really decent and clear when the conditions are right.

I used it to make pictures of my little brothers' musical performance the other night and the lights in there were quite dull and it made the stage a lot darker than it should have been. As a result, most of my pictures turned out really crappy. Then again, one shouldn't expect a phone to completely replace a real camera.

Better in terms of pixel density so you can see much more on the screen. However contrast and colour saturation I believe the SGSII has the upper hand. This is from my own viewing experience between the two but I guess its up to user preference.

Yeah, iPhone4 has higher pixel density from its higher resolution retina display. So viewing pictures on that screen will be looking better even for the same picture file. Same story for digital camera screens. Often it looks different on large computer monitor screen in better or worse way.

The one thing I miss from my Nokia N8 (I've only had my S2 for a couple of weeks) is the 12MP camera with Carl Zeiss lens and Xenon flash.

What are you comparing it to and what were the lighting conditions?

The front lens on my DSLR (not the whole lens assembly but just the front piece of glass) probably weighs more than my phone. The fact is that no phone can take good photographs and the problems of the tiny lens are exacerbated by poor light.

Perhaps you could post a picture and we could judge whether there is a problem or whether you are expecting a phone to take genuinely decent photographs (which no phone can).

This is how blurry my phone is when im taking a video.. what the heck? how can i fix this problem??

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-07-14-11-43-38.png
    Screenshot_2015-07-14-11-43-38.png
    725.4 KB · Views: 146
Back
Top Bottom