• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Camera shutter sound in 4.0.4

joesixpack

Android Enthusiast
Just updated to 4.0.4 and noticed that the camera shutter sound is back and (suprisingly but annoyingly) LOUD! Is there any way to replace the camera shutter sound or change the volume of the existing one? I am stock, unrooted and with a locked bootloader. As usual, all help is appreciated.

if you are rooted, you can change it (or possibly delete it - not sure about that).

its: \system\media\audio\ui\camera_click.ogg

if it's not possible to delete it, you could open it in an audio processing program on your computer and turn the volume down to zero. I am contemplating doing this, because it's a hassle to have to turn the media volume down when I use the camera.

And before, I don't remember screenshots making the camera click noise... now they do.

have you checked your media volume level? That controls volume of camera click.

This, it's controlled by media volume. I just took a silent pic, then pressed the up volume button on the side and took a loud pic. 4.0.4 stock.

This is why golfers hate humans, turn your dang shutter sound off if you are taking a picture of a guy in his backswing...if your can't do that then DON'T TAKE THE PICTURE!!!

have you checked your media volume level? That controls volume of camera click.

Yep this is the solution. It was the same in 4.0.2. I'm surprised so many people were pondering over this issue. Makes since to check the volume first. Just make sure you are in the camera app (about to take a picture) then press down/up on the volume rocker.

My phone has developed a strange issue, turning volume up or down in the Google Camera app doesn't change the media volume, but the phone volume instead. The volume in the Camera app is not affected by the media volume either, it is at full level, which much too loud.

I am not sure when or why this happened, because I use ICS Camera+ instead, and it works as it should.

Yep this is the solution. It was the same in 4.0.2. I'm surprised so many people were pondering over this issue. Makes since to check the volume first. Just make sure you are in the camera app (about to take a picture) then press down/up on the volume rocker.

I have checked the media volume and it's all the way up. I've also tried adjusting the volume with the camera app open and there is no clicker sound. The clicker sound was there before I updated to 4.04.
BTW - I am not rooted and completely stock.

I must be doing something wrong. I turn the volume down using the volume rocker while in the camera mode, and it still plays a loud sound when I take a pic. Thinking of going to Camera ICS+ to turn it off.

BTW, can you just root your phone, or do you have to flash 4.0.4 all over again after you do so? Forgive me for being a newb - I'm a little intimidated by this rooting thing. I really would like a better camera shutter sound that the stock Nexus one. Picky, I know, but maybe that annoying shutter sound is what caused Phil to withdraw!

I must be doing something wrong. I turn the volume down using the volume rocker while in the camera mode, and it still plays a loud sound when I take a pic. Thinking of going to Camera ICS+ to turn it off.

BTW, can you just root your phone, or do you have to flash 4.0.4 all over again after you do so? Forgive me for being a newb - I'm a little intimidated by this rooting thing. I really would like a better camera shutter sound that the stock Nexus one. Picky, I know, but maybe that annoying shutter sound is what caused Phil to withdraw!
Does the volume slider show a phone symbol to the left, or a loudspeaker? If it is a phone, then it is the same as my problem: it changes the phone volume instead of the media volume. It also ignores both phone and media volume, and plays its sound at full volume.

I'm going to assume you are on VZW, otherwise, you'll have to ask someone else for help rooting. Here are the instructions for VZW LTE GNex:

http://androidforums.com/verizon-ga...gs-root-samsung-galaxy-nexus.html#post3736596

But first you have to have all the proper drivers installed, then unlock the phone, then it can be rooted. In the root forum section you will find all instructions for that, and many more people willing to help you through it. As long as you are careful and follow instructions exactly and ask questions and wait for answers when you are unsure, its easy.

If you camera volume cannot be set to silent, then there is something wrong with your phone. On 4.0.2 I think the volume would actually change to lower levels, however, in 4.0.4 it seems to be on/off only. If this is what you are getting, then I think it is normal. I don't like it either, especially that volume rocker to silent in camera app does an annoying vibrate...

I posted a bug report about this, and got a blowoff reply saying that people requested linking the camera sound to the ringer volume, and they wouldn't be changing it. I highly suggest anyone else who thinks this is moronic post bug reports as well. Maybe then they'll do the obvious thing and make the camera sound its own thing.

More immediately, using ICS+ didn't work for me, the sound is still linked to ringer and not media sound. Are there any ways to silence the camera without silencing the ringer that don't require rooting?

This does really suck. I like listening to music through a bluetooth, but when I take a picture, I have to either turn the volume all the way down or it makes the shutter sound out loud and in my ear piece. So much for not getting people's attention.

Just to note, at least on mine, camera volume is no longer controlled by media volume. It's now controlled by system volume. And turning the volume down while in the camera app doesn't change system volume (nor media volume). It changes ringer volume.

I use a widgetsoid volume control shortcut, and set system volume to 0.

Interestingly, the key-tones on the phone app are controlled by media volume... to me that sounds like a system volume thing too!

Back
Top Bottom