• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root can i or cant i?

So im really confused about a lot of this rooting stuff in a way. I came up with what i want to do. I want to root my phone but i dont want to run a custom rom cuz i dont really think they offer anything better than what there is stock. Can i root my phone and use the stock rom. I want root so i can run setcpu. Oh btw will i be able to root after the 2.2 OTA update? thanks

Have you already got 2.2? If so you can use unrevoked 3.21 but its buggy. Best bet is to get a 2.1 ruu to downgrade, run unrevoked 3.14 then find teppic74's rooted stick 2.2 Ron from this forum

Have there been many problems using unrevoked 3.21? I used it twice with no probs. The first time I messed up and didn't select the custom recovery image that I wanted so I did it again and both times it was smooth sailing on my desire. I used it on a computer with windows 7 64 bit ultimate.

I'm not sdure, I'm just going on what other people have said. I've never used it myself. Teppic74 recommends downgrading ans using 3.14, so thats good enough for me ;)

If you root a stock ROM you'll basically be in the same situation as installing a pre-rooted stock rom (so long as it doesn't change much, some are a bit liberal when they say stock). This way you get a couple of essential things like busybox included normally.

unrevoked 3.21 works fine for a lot of people, but for some it won't work at all, and for others causes some odd issues. Downgrading will work fine, but means wiping your phone.

Back
Top Bottom