• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can I use AT&T cell towers?

WisemanWV

Lurker
Hello everyone, I bought a prepaid T-mobile Samsung Exhibit 2 4G recently and I'm considering rooting for 1 reason. THERE ARE NO T-MOBILE TOWERS IN MY AREA! How stupid is that? I bought it at a walmart less that 1 mile from my house.

The only towers in my area are AT&T and T-mobile won't let me send data through them, only calls and text. So my question is this. If I root my phone will I be able to use data over AT&Ts network?

Any help is much appreciated and the more details the better.

Thank you again
 
You'll probably need to use it unlocked with an AT&T plan if you want to use their towers, as rooting doesn't really do anything special except for allowing other to use special permissions.

tldr: Probably not.
 
Hello everyone, I bought a prepaid T-mobile Samsung Exhibit 2 4G recently and I'm considering rooting for 1 reason. THERE ARE NO T-MOBILE TOWERS IN MY AREA! How stupid is that? I bought it at a walmart less that 1 mile from my house.

The only towers in my area are AT&T and T-mobile won't let me send data through them, only calls and text. So my question is this. If I root my phone will I be able to use data over AT&Ts network?

No. That's not the issue. You can change your carrier to AT&T by 1) getting the phone unlocked 2)getting an AT&T SIM and an AT&T calling plan. You would need to swap the SIM for the T-Mobile one when you want to use T-Mobile if you want to use both.
 
Thank you for the replies. I was hoping to keep my t-mobile plan. If I sign up with AT&T i will basically be paying an extra $50+ just for the data that I won't use very often since I have wifi at home and work.
I guess I'll be sticking with limited access.
 
Back
Top Bottom